Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

Precisely; plus you can easily feel the cabinet vibrations with your hand, even on the Altair. So I am not sure what book exactly they wrote, though still well constructed.

Ack,
The test of a cabinet is not whether it vibrates during the reproduction of music but whether it stores that energy and releases it after the music has stopped. In other words, whether or not it is releasing energy delayed in time and out of phase with the original signal. THAT is where cabinet signatures come from. Not whether or not you can feel it vibrate while it's producing music.

Ack,
The test of a cabinet is not whether it vibrates during the reproduction of music but whether it stores that energy and releases it after the music has stopped. In other words, whether or not it is releasing energy delayed in time and out of phase with the original signal. THAT is where cabinet signatures come from. Not whether or not you can feel it vibrate while it's producing music.

Correct, but if it vibrates it's because it's energized, and some of that energy is converted to heat but not all of it, therefore, some of it has to make it back. Are you saying the cabinet actually vibrates in-phase with the driver? Even if, the cabinet is then adding to the driver's sound - perhaps that's part of the design (e.g. Audio Note and perhaps others do this, if I remember correctly). But realistically, the cabinet cannot be vibrating in-phase with the driver in the _entire_ operating spectrum of the driver, therefore, I would say there has to be some out-of-phase content affecting the driver's output. I think to claim otherwise would indicate someone has invented the perfect dynamic-speaker cabinet, and I don't think anyone has made that claim yet.

Correct, but if it vibrates it's because it's energized, and some of that energy is converted to heat but not all of it, therefore, some of it has to make it back. Are you saying the cabinet actually vibrates in-phase with the driver? Even if, the cabinet is then adding to the driver's sound - perhaps that's part of the design (e.g. Audio Note and perhaps others do this, if I remember correctly). But realistically, the cabinet cannot be vibrating in-phase with the driver in the _entire_ operating spectrum of the driver, therefore, I would say there has to be some out-of-phase content affecting the driver's output. I think to claim otherwise would indicate someone has invented the perfect dynamic-speaker cabinet, and I don't think anyone has made that claim yet.

I see what you are saying. I don't know how exactly one could measure the contribution of the cabinet during the signal, and whats parts would/could be in phase and what parts not. So we'd just be guessing at that. But I agree that a "perfect" cabinet has not yet been made. But one must also recognize that you will perceive vibration with your hands on ANY hard surface within the sound of the speakers while they are playing.
The "hand" test obviously proves that just because an accelerometer does not pick up any vibrations after the signal has ended (On the Rockport, at least) that they aren't there. It just means that they are below the threshold of the accelerometer.
That being said, the accelerometer CAN, up to it's limitations, tell us more precisely the magnitude of those delayed vibrations.
This is why I would feel safe making the statement that Rockport wrote the book on inert cabinets. The whole idea of this facet of design is to prevent delayed vibrations. And the measurements show that Rockport designed cabinets have been coming in below measurement thresholds for about 20 years now. Others, even extremely complex and expensive designs, are not at their level. They still show delayed vibrations of some sort. And regardless of how exactly vibrations in concert with the signal affect what we perceive, we know for a fact that the delayed ones are bad.

Is this the ONLY factor at play? Of course not. And I didn't intend to have this thread veer off into a discussion on Rockport cabinet designs. The original point was to state that you cannot assume that the Magico Q1 cabinet is automatically superior simply because it appears more complex and expensive than the EA MMMicro1. Towards that end I included the Rockport as a design that, at least measurably, has set the standard.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of listening to the Polymer Logic speakers. These utilize a aluminum cabinet that is supposedly made from a more dense aluminum than T6061! I can tell you, this cabinet was INERT. Weighing over 400Lbs and being less than 45" tall! However, and here is the rub.....this cabinet ( which I am fairly sure was contributing NOTHING to the presentation in the way of vibration) was in no way contributing beneficially to the overall sound of the speaker's. Instead, i was left thinking that the system was sounding VERY digital and sterile. IMO, If we look at all musical instruments, they are made up of some kind of material that vibrates in a specific manner. I am beginning to believe that a speaker cabinet has to do some of that as well, otherwise the 'life' of the portrayal and the....for want of a better descriptor.. the "humanity" of the portrayal is lost. Glass enclosures, metal enclosures and concrete enclosures are super stiff....is that what we really need??:confused:

Last weekend I had the pleasure of listening to the Polymer Logic speakers. These utilize a aluminum cabinet that is supposedly made from a more dense aluminum than T6061! I can tell you, this cabinet was INERT. Weighing over 400Lbs and being less than 45" tall! However, and here is the rub.....this cabinet ( which I am fairly sure was contributing NOTHING to the presentation in the way of vibration) was in no way contributing beneficially to the overall sound of the speaker's. Instead, i was left thinking that the system was sounding VERY digital and sterile. IMO, If we look at all musical instruments, they are made up of some kind of material that vibrates in a specific manner. I am beginning to believe that a speaker cabinet has to do some of that as well, otherwise the 'life' of the portrayal and the....for want of a better descriptor.. the "humanity" of the portrayal is lost. Glass enclosures, metal enclosures and concrete enclosures are super stiff....is that what we really need??:confused:

Once again, I have to rant that things we perceive audibly are not always a result of what we attribute them to. There are many different factors that contribute to a speaker sounding "sterile", or any descriptor for that matter.
I don't doubt your experience with this system. But I take issue with you specifically attributing what you heard to the cabinet.

Also, it's yet another marketing canard to bother telling people that the Polymer Logic uses an aluminum MORE dense than T6061. First, there are many aluminum alloys that are more dense than T6061. But it's all besides the point. Aluminum alloy grades are not chosen for their density. They are chosen for other factors including, but not limited to, weldability, fatigue resistance, corrosion resistance, extrusion compliance, etc, etc.
T6061 is popular because it is fairly strong but ALSO very easy to weld! So unless a speaker manufacturer is trying to weld his cabinet together there isn't much point to use T6061 anyway.
Aluminum alloys range in density from .095 lbs/in^2 to .1030 lbs/in^2. So you can see that aluminum is not ever chosen for it's density. Unless, of course, we were looking for a LOW density metal. If someone wanted a "dense" metal material, they wouldn't choose aluminum.

Sorry DavyF. I'm not trying to pick on you. HAHA. I just wander back and forth from total enthusiast to anti-BS personalities. And lately, I guess, I'm on an anti BS tack. :)

I think in this case the diamond membranes have a lot in play , however very stiff (perfect piston lightweight)they are not the last word in naturalness in my opinion .
Neutral /inert cabinet is still a good thing/goal i think and one can tune the speaker towards naturalness .
Aonther factor is the sound of the cabinet that comes back through the speakers membrane .
A steel guitar for example has a very different sound coming from it then a woodcabinet guitar.
From kharma i know for example the inside of the cabinet is sculpted and has a internal resonance reducing layer to prevent this .
An " empty aluminium enclosure will off course have its own sound.
Density: pure aluminium versus its alloys it hardly differs , +-2700 kg /m3 ,the pulling strength improves a lot with higher grade alloys .
Anyway you would state that phenolic resin /MDF/HDF enclosures sound less sterile / digital ??

Last edited:
density 6061 is 2700 kg/m3 7075 is 2810 kg/m3 .
The T extension stands for temper: T4 , T6 for example
Heattreatment , aging , stress relieved etc , the density doesnt change from these treatments as far as i know

Temper Types

The most common tempers for 6082 aluminium are:

T6 - Solution heat treated and artificially aged
O - Soft
T4 - Solution heat treated and naturaly aged to a substantially stable condition
T651 - Solution heat treated, stress relieved by stretching then artificially aged

Density of phenolic resin is 1400 kg/m3

Pulling strength of 6082 T651 is 340 MPA , phenolic resin only 109 MPA :D

density 6061 is 2700 kg/m3 7075 is 2810 kg/m3 .Density of phenolic resin is 1400 kg/m3

Pulling strength of 6082 T651 is 340 MPA , phenolic resin only 109 MPA :D

Does Wilson publish their specs for M/X material?

Man hours that are many times more expensive here than anywhere else.

Really? Anywhere else?? You need to clarify that statement. U.S. labor costs are more expensive than: China, Bangladesh, Pakistan? How about European countries?

A competently designed circuit and driver selection is going to have vastly more impact than the cabinet design.

I disagree. The design and execution of the speaker box has great importance on the quality of the finished speakers. Of course you need good drivers and a good crossover network, but if the cabinet is not designed properly and isn't built to a high standard, the speaker system will not perform very well.

Not to mention the fact that we can't even be sure that it really is a better performer.

Unless you listen to them. And by the way, have you actually listened to them both or is this all just your opinions and conjecture?

So after all that, both speakers have drivers that are on par with each other, crossover components that are on par with each other, and designers who are on par with each other. (Though, technically, I think EA has an edge with experience.)

You are beginning to sound like a plant for EA. I think the drivers and crossover components in the Q1s are far more expensive than what is in the MMMicroOne speakers. What makes you think that there is more technical experience at EA than Magico?

Glass enclosures, metal enclosures and concrete enclosures are super stiff....is that what we really need??:confused:

So for me, the answer to this is, yes, but... Having inert enclosures is one thing, but damping and managing all this internal energy building up is a completely different problem to solve... wonder how the speakers you auditioned address that. The other question to ask is, were the speakers sterile because of the enclosure, or because of other factors. One of the reasons I added the Stinger RoadKill in my ML's sealed bass cabinets was to convert some of that energy to elastic (the product has a flat metal face, backed by a sticky rubbery substance); and as a result I got faster, clearer bass. Using a port is another way to manage most of that energy, and although I don't particularly like ported designs, I can see why Wilson, Rockport build both stiff enclosures with ports (which, in turn, may be creating problems of their own).

Glass enclosures, metal enclosures and concrete enclosures are super stiff....is that what we really need??:confused:

Stiff will usually mean that it will resonate at some specific frequencies with high Q - but designers will probably take some measures to counterbalance this aspect, adding some form of damping, special shape or thickness variation, and many other techniques I do not even imagine. Speaker design can have many approaches. IMHO consumers only know those that marketing people leak to them in general statements, but never got the full specifications and reasons behind the designer choices.

Really? Anywhere else?? You need to clarify that statement. U.S. labor costs are more expensive than: China, Bangladesh, Pakistan? How about European countries?

Really?? THIS is how you chose to start your argument? Frankly, I don't think I need to clarify my statement one bit. You want to know why? Because it really doesn't make one bit of difference! SO WHAT, if it happens to be slightly more expensive in the E.U. versus the U.S. The point was that the cost of labor in the U.S. is far higher than in China. That was CLEARLY the contrast I was making. Are you ready to try and tell me that THIS is not true? FFS!!!

I disagree. The design and execution of the speaker box has great importance on the quality of the finished speakers. Of course you need good drivers and a good crossover network, but if the cabinet is not designed properly and isn't built to a high standard, the speaker system will not perform very well.

I stand by my statement.
And I can't even believe I'm wasting my time responding to this one. But, hey, what the hell?
Where exactly, in the part that you quoted, did I claim that speaker box design was not important. OR even mildly important? Did I NOT also bring up Rockport and CLEARLY defend their designs? And where exactly is the company in question that is not building a cabinet to a "high standard"?? There are three distinct cabinet design philosophies that have been presented here. (Evolution Acoustics, Magico, Rockport) All three are very different from each other. But ALL of them are serious and credible efforts. And I STILL say that the drivers and circuit design is what makes or breaks a speaker. Only cabinet makers think that the majority of performance is a product of the cabinet. Beyond a certain minimal level of cabinet design, it's mostly about the circuit. And, yeah, I expect that you'll want me to back that statement up as well. I'll save you the effort. It's just my opinion..... But I think MOST professional speaker designers would agree with me.
I have, admittedly a hobbyist experience, but experience non-the-less at building all of the associated parts in a speaker. Literally, from scratch. Aluminum cabinets, Carbon Matrix cabinets, wood cabinets, capacitors, coils, graphite resistors, and drivers. And while I don't claim to be an expert, it is still my contention that the design of the circuit outweighs the design of the cabinet when it comes to final performance.

Unless you listen to them. And by the way, have you actually listened to them both or is this all just your opinions and conjecture?

If I seem really snarky in my response to your statements, you can safely bet that this quote is the reason why. I generally have a lot of patience for online debates and arguments. I usually make great effort to understand a persons perspective, even if they seem negative to me. And I seriously try (though, admittedly, often fail) to make my own posts as clear as possible. But I'll be honest. What I truly can't stand are indignant people who ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!
So, just for you Mep, I'll point you to the VERY FIRST sentences of my original post.........
"I've heard the MMMicro1s and they are a very good speaker. I've also heard the Magico Q1 and think they aren't too shabby either."
Does THAT answer your question?

You are beginning to sound like a plant for EA. I think the drivers and crossover components in the Q1s are far more expensive than what is in the MMMicroOne speakers. What makes you think that there is more technical experience at EA than Magico?

Yeah, I love this one too. Nothing like being accused of something by some faceless dude who doesn't know **** about you. But since you brought it up, I'll tell you exactly the extent of my connection to EA. Not long after I first heard the MMMicro1 I sent an email to Johnathan Tinn inquiring on two things. First was to find out when exactly the little speakers would be available and then whether or not they were expecting any sort of payment to "get in line". I received one response from Tinn thanking me for my interest and giving me a general idea of when they (at the time) expected the MMMicro1 to be available. I, in turn, replied with a follow up email asking if there was any place within driving distance from me that I could hear the MM3. I never heard back from Tinn regarding that question, or indeed, ever again. I was put off by this lack of response and never seriously looked at EA again. End of story. I ain't mad at the guy. I just lost interest.
Now let me ask....... Since my original post I spent a fair bit of effort also defending Rockport. Am I starting to sound like a plant for them as well?

With regard to driver and crossover components.... EA claims that they are using premium crossover parts in their speakers. I have no reason to doubt them. And, yes, Magico is using some of the MOST expensive crossover parts out there. But so are other speakers I know of that are far less expensive. And, once again, "most expensive" does not directly equate with "best".
With regards to the cost of drivers...... I don't know your background, but I'm having trouble believing that you seriously know what you are talking about here. Granted, there is a lot I don't know either. But I DO have experience in enough areas that I can can speak somewhat intelligently on these types of drivers. I've actually tinkered around enough to make my own carbon fiber drivers, from scratch. Literally using CAD to first design and then have the metal parts fabricated for me (by a machine shop). And I actually have professional experience working with the highest grades of carbon fiber, so those parts I made myself. (Which is why it's actually Rockport that, between these three companies anyway, that I'm most fond of.)
So I know for sure that the Magico drivers are not FAR more expensive than the EA drivers. Certainly not 10X the cost. (The relative cost differential between the two speakers) I can't claim to know exactly what it costs to make the ceramic elements that goes into an EA driver. But I know that making those are beyond my reach. The Magico design, not so much.
Lastly, it's only an opinion that I would give EA the edge on technical experience. But that opinion is not created out of thin air. I think that for two reasons. First is that Kevin Malmgren was formerly at Von Schweikert. I'm guessing he gained a fair bit of experience there. Not to mention the fact that Albert hired him in the first place. So I'm assuming whatever he did before there wasn't anything to sneeze at. I also know that the VS circuit designs are fundamentally different from what he is doing at EA. So the guy obviously has a certain breadth of knowledge.
Of course, this doesn't mean that I don't respect Alon. I actually have a lot of respect for the man. Fact is, I knew of Alon long before most of the butt kissers did. (And, NO, I don't think that all Magico fanboys are butt kissers.) It's just a lucky matter of "who you know", but I'm only one person removed (Ie. a friend of a friend) from one of the three guys who invested with Alon before he actually had built much of anything. I distinctly remember hearing about "these crazy huge aluminum horns that this guy in California is making". I remember seeing some of Alon's early prototypes. And I've been a somewhat curious outsider who has been following his evolution ever since.
Does this make me an expert in these two men? Absolutely not. It's just that, if I were to be made to state who I thought had a little more expertise, I would choose Kevin. Just based on his resume, never actually having met the guy. Either way, there can be no doubt that these two men are at least on equal footing. Which goes to my original point. That the EA is JUST as competently designed as the Magico.
And I don't have to be connected to EA in any way to recognize that these two speakers ARE, despite their massively different prices, on equal footing with each other when it comes to performance.

Does Wilson publish their specs for M/X material?

They don't specify density. But I think I remember a claim to being in the same neighborhood as steel. (X material)
They also claim it being monotonic. (Rings at only one frequency) This, theoretically, makes it easier to account for and damp that frequency.

I happened to be at a local store when a broken (dropped in shipping) pair of Sasha showed up. I nabbed a tiny piece of the broken material for my pocket.
I've since lost that piece. But, yeah, definitely phenolic. It's layering reminded me of slate. It wasn't so much a matrix of particles, or even an omni-directional fibrous type of matrix. It looked flaky. Like flat substances mushed together.

Once again, I have to rant that things we perceive audibly are not always a result of what we attribute them to. There are many different factors that contribute to a speaker sounding "sterile", or any descriptor for that matter.
I don't doubt your experience with this system. But I take issue with you specifically attributing what you heard to the cabinet.

Also, it's yet another marketing canard to bother telling people that the Polymer Logic uses an aluminum MORE dense than T6061. First, there are many aluminum alloys that are more dense than T6061. But it's all besides the point. Aluminum alloy grades are not chosen for their density. They are chosen for other factors including, but not limited to, weldability, fatigue resistance, corrosion resistance, extrusion compliance, etc, etc.
T6061 is popular because it is fairly strong but ALSO very easy to weld! So unless a speaker manufacturer is trying to weld his cabinet together there isn't much point to use T6061 anyway.
Aluminum alloys range in density from .095 lbs/in^2 to .1030 lbs/in^2. So you can see that aluminum is not ever chosen for it's density. Unless, of course, we were looking for a LOW density metal. If someone wanted a "dense" metal material, they wouldn't choose aluminum.

Sorry DavyF. I'm not trying to pick on you. HAHA. I just wander back and forth from total enthusiast to anti-BS personalities. And lately, I guess, I'm on an anti BS tack. :)

Champ04, you bring up some good points. Is it possible that the deficiencies that I heard with the demo of this speaker were NOT caused by the cabinet. Absolutely, that is possible. However, the designer picked the ancillary gear and seemed fairly pleased with the results that we heard. To his credit, I have to say that he did state that the ancillary gear was NOT at the SOTA, but picked for it's lack of weight amongst other things. OTOH, I have heard similar issues with other speakers that were made from ultra stiff material...the Magico Q5's come to mind here.
As with all system building, I'm sure that another factor could have been involved here...maybe the amps were a mismatch with this speaker, maybe the front end was contributing to the issue and on and on. Here's my question to you.....how can you be so sure that the cabinets absolutely were not the contributing factor of what I heard? :)

Here's my question to you.....how can you be so sure that the cabinets absolutely were not the contributing factor of what I heard? :)

I can't. Not being there, I don't know at all.
It's just sort of my experience that you can "hear" a poorly designed cabinet because of it's negative effects. It hasn't been my experience that a very massive and inert cabinet can cause a sterile sound.
I'm also not much of a fan of Harbeth, which would be one of those that purposely design a cabinet to make it's own sound.
Those are just my biases.
I accept your assessment. Just making note of the other possibilities.

Really?? THIS is how you chose to start your argument? Frankly, I don't think I need to clarify my statement one bit. You want to know why? Because it really doesn't make one bit of difference! SO WHAT, if it happens to be slightly more expensive in the E.U. versus the U.S. The point was that the cost of labor in the U.S. is far higher than in China. That was CLEARLY the contrast I was making. Are you ready to try and tell me that THIS is not true? FFS!!!

I'm ready to tell you that is not what you said. You made a blanket statement which I quoted that said the U.S. labor rates were many times more higher than anywhere else. Now you have redefined "anywhere" else to anywhere in China.

I stand by my statement.
And I can't even believe I'm wasting my time responding to this one. But, hey, what the hell?
Where exactly, in the part that you quoted, did I claim that speaker box design was not important. OR even mildly important?

You regulated the importance of the speaker cabinet third behind the quality of the drivers and the crossover network (I assume you are calling the crossover nestwork "the circuit.") If cabinet design comes in third place with regards to performance when designing and building a speaker, why do companies like Magico, Wilson, and Rockport go through such incredible time and expense to manufacture their cabinets?

These other comments you made are full of conjecture and opinion and they also raised questions:

So after all that, both speakers have drivers that are on par with each other, crossover components that are on par with each other, and designers who are on par with each other. (Though, technically, I think EA has an edge with experience.)

Does anyone besides you really think that the crossover components and the drivers used in the MMMicroOne speakers are anywhere near as expensive as the crossover components and drivers used in the Q1? Does anyone besides you and those involved with EA think there is more collective knowledge and experience in building high-end speakers there than what Magico possesses?

If I seem really snarky in my response to your statements...

Yeah, you were extremely snarky, but if you think that is what I deserved, so be it. Everything you stated is based on your opinion and not facts. For all you know, the crossover components used in the Q1 cost more than the entire MMMicroOne speakers.

Look, I heard the MMMicroOne speakers and I think they are a very good sounding $2500 pair of stand-mounted speakers. I also have heard the Q1 speakers and I for one find them to be in an entirely different league sonically and build-quality wise. But that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think the drivers and crossover components in the Q1s are far more expensive than what is in the MMMicroOne speakers. What makes you think that there is more technical experience at EA than Magico?

Mep: Sorry Marc, but I would not bet on that if I were you. We manufacture the drivers ourselves and the tweeter in our MMMicroOne is more expensive than the tweeter in our $200,000 loudspeaker. These drivers are incredibly well built and I would put them up against anything out there at any price. Also, we design and build our own crossovers.

In terms of experience, there is no question about technical experience. Kevin Malmgren has been doing this much longer than Alon. I know when Alon started learning about this and Kevin had already designed and manufactured many products before Alon even thought about speaker manufacturing. That being said, I have nothing against Alon and Magico. I do not agree with their design philosophy and what they charge for their products, but they seem to get away with it.

Champ04: I am sorry if you did not get a response from me, I do not know what happened. I try to respond to each and every email I receive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing