All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters ?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
There's nothing wrong with trying as many amps as possible on your speakers how else are you going to know when they're operating at their peak?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Just got CJ lp70S and Willsenton r800i (loaners from a friend). Both drive ns5k very well!

CJ has incredible stage far bigger than my pass amp and willsenton has finesse, nuance. Will keep listening.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Just got CJ lp70S and Willsenton r800i (loaners from a friend). Both drive ns5k very well!

CJ has incredible stage far bigger than my pass amp and willsenton has finesse, nuance. Will keep listening.
I know somebody with NS5000s and they prefer them with a 50 watt push pull tube amp.He has tried far more powerful SS amps.
Which seems to indicate the suggestion they need lots of power is not correct.Room size could come into it of course.

Reactions: RnRmf

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
I know somebody with NS5000s and they prefer them with a 50 watt push pull tube amp.He has tried far more powerful SS amps.
Which seems to indicate the suggestion they need lots of power is not correct.Room size could come into it of course.
An interesting comment!
I know NS1000's are not 5000's but, I have owned and used a pair of 1000M's since the early eighties. In 1987, I replaced a higher powered ss amp with a pair of 50 watt push pull monos (still use them with the 1000's to this day). Along the way, tried various other ss amps (up to 250+ watt monos) and can honestly say the 50watt valve / NS1000M is most definitely my preferred combo.
If there are any similarities between these speakers (with regards to driving), it could well be worth a try. I certainly wouldn't rule the idea out.

Would love to hear some 5000's. I don't doubt for one minute they are amazing.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020

Wow nice. Do you recall which amp and which amps he tried ?

john47

Sep 12, 2021
'rustplane' #133. I am (naively perhaps) fascinated by your comment re your NS-5000s -
"I've had my speakers for almost 2 years and they keep getting better."
I purchased a pair about 11 weeks ago and have 240-250hrs on them.
Have you a concept of how many hrs you had on your pair? (at that time).
My journey has been through NS-1000/NS-1000M, and lastly NS-2000. These were all decades old: I never had a sense of run-in on them, but I do on the 5000s, hence my interest in your experience. A terrific thread BTW. Reply would be appreciated.

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I am of the opposite opinion on tubes for the NS5000. I find my CODA #16 a tiny bit too warm for the NS5000. My friend who is a tube guy and an audio hardware vendor came over to hear the system and he was blown away by the NS5000 in my Livingroom. I think the #16 mated perfectly for his tastes. He said this was the 3rd best speaker he had ever heard, the other 2 were in $600k systems. Coming from him this is a big deal for me. There was a page written up about this guy's hearing on 6moons.com.

Page 4

The thing that he was focusing on was the coherence of the sound. That is the thing that I notice about the NS5000. I love the drivers.

I moved my CODA #16 amp to my office Magnepan LRS+ speaker setup. That speaker is a bit brighter than the NS5000, but nowhere close to the class of the NS5000. However, the pairing with the CODA #16 is so good that I am keeping it permanently there. I now need a new amp for the NS5000.

I currently have a Sanders Magtech on the NS5000 (the old LRS+ amp). It is good but looking for final top end amp. I will locally demo the new SimAudio 761 or 861 along with the new CODA SYSTEM 150 (sp?) that will be released next month. The CODA is the new flagship amp and supposedly a touch less warm sounding than the great #16.

I found that the Sanders at 500 | 900 @ 8 | 4 really opened up the NS5000. As did the very powerful CODA #16. The weaker Benchmark AHB2 stereo amp can also drive the NS5000, but the soundstage seems a bit smaller.

If you like a warm amp. I heard that KRELL is releasing a trickle-down version of the $36k KSA i400 amp. It will be around $13k. I owned KRELL Duo 175XD and that was a great sounding amp with my sold Thiel CS3.7. Buttery smooth, powerful, with good detail. I do not think it is a fit for my ears with the NS5000 but for a tube person, I think it could be a homerun, as is the CODA #16.

Last edited:

matsurus

Aug 24, 2023
New NS5000 demos

Crazy good sound trough youtube compression, kudos!
I like dome midranges and i think that zylon midrange is probably the best there is on the market bar none (for domes)..

What did you use before Conrad Johnson and how did you like it?
Right now i have Soul Note A2 SE with luxman pre, and i like it but im feeling little itch to try power tubes again at some point..

Never heard Conrad johnson but that power amplifier looked interesting.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I am of the opposite opinion on tubes for the NS5000. I find my CODA #16 a tiny bit too warm for the NS5000. My friend who is a tube guy and an audio hardware vendor came over to hear the system and he was blown away by the NS5000 in my Livingroom. I think the #16 mated perfectly for his tastes. He said this was the 3rd best speaker he had ever heard, the other 2 were in $600k systems. Coming from him this is a big deal for me. There was a page written up about this guy's hearing on 6moons.com.

Page 4

The thing that he was focusing on was the coherence of the sound. That is the thing that I notice about the NS5000. I love the drivers.

I moved my CODA #16 amp to my office Magnepan LRS+ speaker setup. That speaker is a bit brighter than the NS5000, but nowhere close to the class of the NS5000. However, the pairing with the CODA #16 is so good that I am keeping it permanently there. I now need a new amp for the NS5000.

I currently have a Sanders Magtech on the NS5000 (the old LRS+ amp). It is good but looking for final top end amp. I will locally demo the new SimAudio 761 or 861 along with the new CODA SYSTEM 150 (sp?) that will be released next month. The CODA is the new flagship amp and supposedly a touch less warm sounding than the great #16.

I found that the Sanders at 500 | 900 @ 8 | 4 really opened up the NS5000. As did the very powerful CODA #16. The weaker Benchmark AHB2 stereo amp can also drive the NS5000, but the soundstage seems a bit smaller.

If you like a warm amp. I heard that KRELL is releasing a trickle-down version of the $36k KSA i400 amp. It will be around $13k. I owned KRELL Duo 175XD and that was a great sounding amp with my sold Thiel CS3.7. Buttery smooth, powerful, with good detail. I do not think it is a fit for my ears with the NS5000 but for a tube person, I think it could be a homerun, as is the CODA #16.

I'd love to try these SS amps. Curious if they could challenge CJ in tone.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Crazy good sound trough youtube compression, kudos!
I like dome midranges and i think that zylon midrange is probably the best there is on the market bar none (for domes)..

What did you use before Conrad Johnson and how did you like it?
Right now i have Soul Note A2 SE with luxman pre, and i like it but im feeling little itch to try power tubes again at some point..

Never heard Conrad johnson but that power amplifier looked interesting.
Was using pass x350.8, and bryston 4bsst before that. The pass was great but I think I didnt have good power conditioning which may have held it back. Regardless CJ was a big step above the pass even though was much cheaper. But I wish i could try pass again with better conditioning (puritan for example).

Reactions: matsurus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing