Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
When I spoke to the designer, I thought he said it was MDF. Are you the designer or the dealer? My feux pas, but MedX is similar to MDF but denser and little more expensive.

You are wrong about the magnets. The Alsyvox uses neodymium magnets, which I found out through direct communication with the designer. That's how Alsyvox Botticelli achieves 94dB efficiency. How do you know, Alsyvox doesn't use contrained layer technique? It uses steel sandwiched between acrylic. You seem to more about the design of the Alsyvox than the designer himselft?

So GT doesn't use Kapton or Myler. So what? What is this secret material you are speaking of? Apogee has used Kapton and every electrostatic speakers I know have used Mylar. They're time proven materials. Is this secret material time proven or have been used as a driver? Or will it fall apart before the warranty is up?

Yes, it's a scientific fact that copper is a better conductor than aluminum. But does that translate into better sound as implemented in a voice coil? Afterall, silver is a better conductor than copper, but some people can't stand the sound of silver.

GT Audio works will always be more transparent than Alsyvox? What's your proof? Some of the most transparent speakers on the planet like electrostats use crossovers. It's all in the correct implementation.

As for your subwoofer towers, the designer of the driver is my friend. I know what they're capable of. They are very good for the price, but can they compete with the best subwoofers? There are better, but more expensive. Sorry, but Alsyvox makes better bass. The GT is a hybrid and is not a full range planar, unlike the Alsyvox with all the drivers being of the same material and design.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't trying to attack the product, just making comparisons. I am open to hearing your speaker and hope they sound as good as claimed. But in this business, superlative reviews come and go like hot cakes, so I rely on my ears.
Hi Dr K. What do we know of the long term reliability of the Alsyvox construction? How many hours of running can one expect before the ND Magnets start to fail, or anything else in the construction fails. I assume very few on this planet has the knowledge to repair them, hence they need to be sent to Spain or Italy or where the constructor may be located? Would apricate any thoughts on this theme.

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
A seriously nice system

Attachments

• IMG_8719.jpeg
    IMG_8719.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 55

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Dr K. What do we know of the long term reliability of the Alsyvox construction? How many hours of running can one expect before the ND Magnets start to fail, or anything else in the construction fails. I assume very few on this planet has the knowledge to repair them, hence they need to be sent to Spain or Italy or where the constructor may be located? Would apricate any thoughts on this theme.
Any Alsyvox speaker, in the US and there are 20+ pairs currently in the US, would NEVER be returned to Spain for repair. If someone poked a screwdriver through and damaged a ribbon, either myself or Daniele from Alsyvox would replace the ribbon at the customer's location. If the speaker needed some type of special attention they would be shipped to the Rhapsody Dallas location where we have the room and expertise to completely rebuild a speaker if necessary. In the last 5+ years we have never had to replace a ribbon on an Alsyvox speaker in the US.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Afik, Alsyvox has been making ribbon speakers for over 20 years. As Rhapsody said, no failures in the field in the past 5 years.

Reactions: The Knife

BounceHit

Sep 10, 2022
I now own (thank you Buffer! ;) Leonardo 8's. My room is large (24.5 x 22 x 9). I listen primarily to classical music, and enjoy everything from single instrument/voice to chamber music to full scale symphonies. I prefer life-like levels (93-95 db peaks) in terms of volume/intensity. My life-long predilection has been toward the "tube" sound. The best system I've every heard uses Tintorettos with NAF Stardivari amps. What might I consider in terms of amplification? Thanks in advance, BounceHit

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
Amplification for your Leonardos? Or for future Alsyvox?

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
My recommendation would be Pilium! Bob at Rhapsody might also recommend VAC replacing the stock tubes, which he's finding amazing with his Alsyvox.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I heard the Botticelli’s with VAC signature amplification and matching pre. Digital was Esoteric fed by Taiko. Glorious sonics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing