Analog Magik

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I compared AM V1 test discs with the AP disc for azimuth and the results are very different. Spot on (< 1dB) with AP shows about 6dB difference using the AM disc. Since visually it is also spot on so I'm going with Analogue productions as being correct, but very disappointing to see such big differences.
My observation is the same. I achieve equal numbers for azimuth only with Analogue Productions disc, it also improves azimuth readings with AM disc but 5dB difference between channels.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
You also get very different results between AM V1 and V2. Asked about this and was told that V2 is correct.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Has anyone compared the AM v2 disc for azimuth against the AP disc?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Has anyone compared the AM v2 disc for azimuth against the AP disc?
I did. I compared AM V1, V2 and AP discs for azimuth. I used AM V1 software with V1 and AP discs and AM V2 software with V2 disc.
AP: left 35dB, right 35dB,
V1: 27dB, 32dB,
V2: 18dB, 33dB.
I primarily use AP disc for azimuth.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks, but the results with AM are very discouraging. :(

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Don't concentrate on digits, try to achieve the highest possible numbers for both channels.
Yes, this is what Richard has told me since v1. But I never got a clear explanation (satisfactory to me anyway) as to how doing this, and then getting vastly different numbers between the channels, could square with using the AP disc and with that getting great numbers that were very close to each other (if not identical).

Reactions: leftside

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hmpf, something I just noticed. I have both AM v2 and Adjust+. For Azimuth, the difference between channels is about the same (that's good), but the absolute numbers in AM are lower (to be expected by now since we've been informed of this) - but the numbers are flipped between AM and Adjust+!!! So, if the Adjust+ Azimuth screen shows the following (as an example) -

(L->R): -37dB
(R->L): -29dB

AM will show something like this -

(L->R): -23dB
(R->L): -31dB

Odd.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Hmpf, something I just noticed. I have both AM v2 and Adjust+. For Azimuth, the difference between channels is about the same (that's good), but the absolute numbers in AM are lower (to be expected by now since we've been informed of this) - but the numbers are flipped between AM and Adjust+!!! So, if the Adjust+ Azimuth screen shows the following (as an example) -

(L->R): -37dB
(R->L): -29dB

AM will show something like this -

(L->R): -23dB
(R->L): -31dB

Odd.
That's perfectly normal. The level difference is about signal strength and variate between test records. The other issue is related with non flat record. Even though a record looks perfectly flat it may not be flat at groove level. Also same goes for lacquer (remote possibility), father, mother or stamper . In short you are measuring azimuth error of those test records. They can still lead you to the correct azimuth alignment for cartridge, just try to achieve maximum numbers for both channels.

IMHO/IME analogue productions test record is great and correct for azimuth.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
That's perfectly normal. The level difference is about signal strength and variate between test records. The other issue is related with non flat record. Even though a record looks perfectly flat it may not be flat at groove level. Also same goes for lacquer (remote possibility), father, mother or stamper . In short you are measuring azimuth error of those test records. They can still lead you to the correct azimuth alignment for cartridge, just try to achieve maximum numbers for both channels.

IMHO/IME analogue productions test record is great and correct for azimuth.
On the one hand, I hear you, but on the other, it looks like one of these two has equations that are flipped 1/x. One would suggest rotating the head shell or arm wand CW to get things to even out - the other, CCW. :confused:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
On the one hand, I hear you, but on the other, it looks like one of these two has equations that are flipped 1/x. One would suggest rotating the head shell or arm wand CW to get things to even out - the other, CCW. :confused:
It's more related with record than cartridge.
The other issue is related with non flat record. Even though a record looks perfectly flat it may not be flat at groove level. Also same goes for lacquer (remote possibility), father, mother or stamper . In short you are measuring azimuth error of those test records.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Okay.

BTW, when using the AP disk, how do you do it? When I play Tracks 2 and 3, I get question marks "???" on the AM v2 Azimuth display. Do I just use the measurement bars up top?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Okay.

BTW, when using the AP disk, how do you do it? When I play Tracks 2 and 3, I get question marks "???" on the AM v2 Azimuth display. Do I just use the measurement bars up top?
I use AM Version 1 software. Version 2 is incompatible with other test records. Don't forget to uninstall V2 before installing V1.

Reactions: tony22

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hmm. I wonder if I could just use Adjust+ for Azimuth?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Hmm. I wonder if I could just use Adjust+ for Azimuth?
Of course. You can use any disc with 1KHz test tone on one channel. You can also use AP disc for speed, ant-skating and VTA.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I guess what I meant to say was, instead of uninstalling AM v2 and installing AM v1, could I use the AP test record with Adjust+ to set Azimuth - not using Chris Feickert's phase intersection method, but just adjusting for best values for right and left channel crosstalk?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I guess what I meant to say was, instead of uninstalling AM v2 and installing AM v1, could I use the AP test record with Adjust+ to set Azimuth - not using Chris Feickert's phase intersection method, but just adjusting for best values for right and left channel crosstalk?
Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were asking Adjust+ disc. I don't know for sure but I guess you can use AP disc with Adjust+ software. I used to use Dr. feickert's platterspeed app with AP disc which is originally designed to be used with Adjust+ disc.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony22

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
The AP disk works with Adjust+. :)

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing