Anyone Want To Talk NFL Playoffs And Superbowl Predictions

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ha! I would argue they lost it the second they decided to use Alex Smith as their quarterback. Think about it: their field goal kicker set an NFL single season record for the most field goals. That is not a record I want my field goal kicker to have. He earned that record because the Niners offense in the red zone (and, heck, even outside the red zone) was absolutely abysmal, and the first, second and third reasons for that futility is Alex Smith. I posted yesterday during the game, and it bears repeating: 35 minutes into the game (i.e., 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter) and Alex Smith had completed 3 passes. Three! Can you even think of another quarterback who is less skilled (other than JaMarcus Russell)? Even Tim Tebow, as sad a passer as he is, would have won that game for the Niners.

i see your point too, ron. but it's a pity bec despite alex smith, the niners' defense was quite good, sacking eli many times and keeping the score close. sad to say, smith is not a machine gun jim kelly nor a joe montana. even in ot, smith's passes were miserable too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ha! I would argue they lost it the second they decided to use Alex Smith as their quarterback. Think about it: their field goal kicker set an NFL single season record for the most field goals. That is not a record I want my field goal kicker to have. He earned that record because the Niners offense in the red zone (and, heck, even outside the red zone) was absolutely abysmal, and the first, second and third reasons for that futility is Alex Smith. I posted yesterday during the game, and it bears repeating: 35 minutes into the game (i.e., 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter) and Alex Smith had completed 3 passes. Three! Can you even think of another quarterback who is less skilled (other than JaMarcus Russell)? Even Tim Tebow, as sad a passer as he is, would have won that game for the Niners.

I said the very same thing yesterday to my son Ron.

They rarely convert in the Red Zone

Nonetheless had it not been for those two fumbles it could have been a different story

Myles, I am still going with the Pats but all of the momentum is certainly with the Giants

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Do you mean in 2007 or this year?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2011/11/06/4507_boxscore.html

The Pats OLine couldn't protect Brady and he was running for his life in November :) Let's look at some of the other facts. Brady is not a mobile QB, unlike Rodgers or Smith. So the Giants pass rushers, all four of them, will have their pass rushing routes defined. That line better be able to protect Brady better than it did earlier this year. Second, the Pats are a one dimensional aging offensive team. Gronkowski was hurt in the Ravens game and his status is unknown. So they basically have two receivers (Hernandez and Welker) and bunch of over the hill receivers like Branch. Right now, the majority of their game are short slants over the middle say to Welker, and the Giants have shut those passes down all post-season. Third, there's no aspect of the defense or offense, where the Pats are superior, outside of the QB position, and there, the difference is so slight to be meaningless. And might I add, beginning with the Jets game, the Giants D has basically shut down every QB including the likes of Tony Romo and Aaron Rodgers (and Rodgers is a lot more mobile than Brady). Even at coaching, it's a wash.

So I expect the Giants to really dominate this game.

Completely agreeing with Myles ... I understand the frustration of the niners' fan but I also find it very unfair to lay it all on Alex Smith ... Much Better QBs were miffled by the Giants defense and the list is long .. among them Tony Romo and Aaron Rodgers ... The Giants D is very, very good and playing extremely well in the last part of the season when they became healthier and it has howed in the way they confused their opponents. Eli Manning is truly an Elite QB, easily among the best 5 in the game some would say among the top 4 .. At #1 you can have a tie Rodgers or Brady but Right now I would not trade Eli for Brees a wash and the difference between Eli and the others is so slim as to be of no consequence with such a trio of receivers ...

Giants will win the Superbowl

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

The QB that replaced Manning this year for the Colts? Can't even remember his name :(

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
We shall see Frantz.

You thought their D played well yesterday with all of the rushes hurries and sacks on Eli. :confused:

Indeed the niners defense played superbly and did hurry Eli and sacked him 6 times .. OTOH The Giants D didn't allow much from the niners either aside from the gallopades from Alex Smith who's much more mobile than given credit for ... The niners will be a force to reckon with .. it wasn't their year ... Jim Harbaugh will take this team very far .

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Indeed the niners defense played superbly and did hurry Eli and sacked him 6 times .. OTOH The Giants D didn't allow much from the niners either aside from the gallopades from Alex Smith who's much more mobile than given credit for ... The niners will be a force to reckon with .. it wasn't their year ... Jim Harbaugh will take this team very far .

Big mistake by Bradshaw! Now Giant DEE-FENSE must step up and stop Brady!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great game. Gotta hand it to Eli. Must have ice water in his veins. At least it went down to the last play

You hit the nail on the head Steve. Nothing rattled Eli today or in this run. Pretty even matchup all told and one of the better superbowls. Two teams playing their hearts out.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
it seems giants seem to win all the tough superbowls. hats off to them.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Great Superbowl .. My heart dropped when Brady threw the hail Mary .. There were Patriots in the vicinity .....!!!:eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing