ARC REF 10 vs. VAC Master Preamp

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I recently purchased Vandersteen 7 MkII speakers and I have the Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps on order. So now I am looking for a high quality tube preamp to go with this system. I recently auditioned the ARC REF 10 preamp and I really liked its silky smooth midrange and treble, robust bass and wide and deep soundstage.

Has anyone auditioned the VAC Master linestage (MSRP $27K) and compared it to the ARC REF 10 preamp (MSRP $30K)? I have never had the opportunity to hear a VAC preamp but the reviews seem to be quite good. Also, does anyone have a picture of the VAC Master linestage with the top cover off? I'm curious if the interior looks more like the VAC Statement or VAC Signature SE preamp.

Thanks,
Ken

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I was extremely disappointed at Axpona with VAC. During a semi private session I played with volume for a bit, and the character changed way too much as volume changed. I'm under the impression they're using something inferior for volume, even if the rest is nice.

Like you I want to confirm this visually to rule out other factors, but it didn't seem too likely.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also try the ypsilon preamp

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I was extremely disappointed at Axpona with VAC. During a semi private session I played with volume for a bit, and the character changed way too much as volume changed. I'm under the impression they're using something inferior for volume, Egbert l even if the rest is nice.

Like you I want to confirm this visually to rule out other factors, but it didn't seem too likely.

Very perceptive, Folsom. VAC uses an Alps potentiometer for volume control, while most other preamps use stepped resistors or other implementation methods. Interesting that you could hear that without knowing what was inside the unit.

Best,
Ken

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ken, I've heard what Alps sound like, and they sound bad once you've heard good. I've moved away from them, forever; but I had a long stint with the blue boxes. With the VAC I heard tonal richness several times in the room, until I got my own time and got to turn the volume down so it wasn't so damn loud... then all the life seem to fade in the music. I adjusted it a few times to confirm just volume alone was causing the change from my perception.

Some systems sound the same at all volumes, like, freakishly so; it's almost confusing because you're adjusting for comfort rather than quality. That's desirable to me so I can entertain myself without losing my hearing.

The Ypsilon preamp would be my first stop if it fits a price range, that I'd want to hear/try.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing