Are any JBL Speakers made today Enjoyable to guys who like the older JBL models

rob

Jul 11, 2012
4367 sounded OK/ decent when I heard them at dealers showroom a few years ago.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Yes! I still have a pair of L100's and L25 Prima's and a pair of DIY 4344 monitors set-up for bi-amp. I really like the Array 1400 and 800 Center the 590's are a steal when on sale. I think the newer systems are better overall.

Rob :)

Reactions: Solypsa

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, the few I've heard seemed to always be better off with some SS grunt behind them vs tubes. If the Japanese market is an indication, it looks pretty much the same way. It's all speculation on my part then.

What I do wonder is what their end users are actually choosing and why.

Reactions: tima

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Well, the few I've heard seemed to always be better off with some SS grunt behind them vs tubes. If the Japanese market is an indication, it looks pretty much the same way. It's all speculation on my part then.

What I do wonder is what their end users are actually choosing and why.

Hello

I was wondering if it was from first hand experience. Some of the designs do have impedance compensation on the horns like the 9800 and Array 1400 and would present a much more benign load on transformer coupled amps.

I just go by a talk I had with Bruce Edgar years ago and even with his Titan system he still recommended 100 watts so all my systems use that as a minimum.

Attachments

• K2.S9800.05.jpg
    K2.S9800.05.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Experience yes but as I said very limited as to be considered speculation.

The speakers obviously can be used with both tubes and solid state. That's why I wonder what the actual distribution of usage is. They routinely show with stablemate Levinson. Are the customers following suit? All that marketing geek stuff. Sorry. It was my Major.

I'm from the 80's generation of JBLs.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Experience yes but as I said very limited as to be considered speculation.

I'm from the 80's generation of JBLs.

I have none so you got me beat!

More 70's for me though got my first pair in 73 from saving my paper route tips. Took a while!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good times :)

Reactions: Robh3606

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The JBL 4355's were the holy grail back then but some think it still is !

Yes. Alas top condition 4355s are v. difficult to find in original, unmodified, unrestored condition. You can occasionally find them along with 4344 and 4350s from some of the Japanese shops, but they are almost always not original condition. While original drivers can be replaced with same, it is the cabinets that cannot be replaced. imo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing