Best DACs comparison test result [[My Subjective Opinion]]

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Dac rankings are subjective and system synergy prevails having said this it’s a nice list none the less. And time was taken to keep it as even as possible. Reg lampi lists I have had two GG , my GG2 and the pacific in my system the spread seems good on your list.
Having the DS and BROOKLYN so low shows me I agree in ranking to a point.
The msb on top makes sense but also yields a more of the view desired. The one thing all lampi dacs hAve is tubes and tubes allow for synergy in many systems. So my point is this what tubes are used matters plenty so while I like it’s rankiig it shows a NG flaw in the ranking to me. Nice list and ty for sharing

Reactions: Mikem53

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
IMO bear in mind system synergy. Ignoring the fantasy of flat frequency response and wire with gain arguments, a DAC that comes out in any given system as the best may not fit as well in another. And this is a big deal. The DAC on it's own is part of the whole image..... it can contribute in the right system, or be 'lost' in another. My view obviously and YMMV.

Valid point here, if a Dac is BOLD with improved dynamics for example, an underpowered system will not be able to show this as it will be dynamically compressed and the advantage hidden/lost in such a system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Kassandra Reference is 18.800 EUR, VAT incl.
Volume control available as an option.

What is the retail of the next 2 levels?

- Ref II - Eur18.8K
- Signature? Eur35K??
- Signature LE? Eur82K??

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Dac rankings are subjective and system synergy prevails

A good point of this was my first comparison of the Kassandra to the TotalDac in no less than a super system here in Austin. Wired fully balanced to an active crossover and having SE outputs on the DAC I ended up using the Incito (high gain Preamp) because it had balanced outs. Result? Between the high gain of the Incito and the 5v from the Kassandra we ended up at 90+ DB at volume level 1. Who knew the crossover was so high a gain? Talk about a mismatch of epic proportions! And naturally the owner of the TotalDac preferred it to the Kassandra and I don't blame him.

While a DAC being closest to the source should mean less room for error, it can easily be at a disadvantage. I have many examples of this and that's why I discontinued doing demos where I was not present to ensure it was objective.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMO bear in mind system synergy. Ignoring the fantasy of flat frequency response and wire with gain arguments, a DAC that comes out in any given system as the best may not fit as well in another. And this is a big deal. The DAC on it's own is part of the whole image..... it can contribute in the right system, or be 'lost' in another. My view obviously and YMMV.

+1

I'm scratching my head about some of the ratings in the OP, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing.

I do ask myself though what "better" means. One's "better" may be someone else's "worse". Without any tangible criteria the ranking is meaningless.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Valid point here, if a Dac is BOLD with improved dynamics for example, an underpowered system will not be able to show this as it will be dynamically compressed and the advantage hidden/lost in such a system.

Very true. Not just for underpowered systems but also systems that are not reproducing the infinitely small micro dynamics, loudspeaker systems that by design have a very edgy sound or a poor tonal balance, etc.

My experience is that, at the level of equipment where so often is talked about here, the improvements or at least the potential is not always laid bare as the remainder of the system is holding them down. I had that experience with a few of the prospective customers, just to conclude it does not 'do enough' for them whereas more often the bottleneck is elsewhere in the system. Are they taking the wrong conclusion? No, but the answer is conditional.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Indeed, my findings as well, I demoed against:

1. Lampizator Golden Gate 2017 unit
2. MSB Platinum IV inc Signature Power base
3. Chord DAVE
4. CH Precision C1
5. Naim CD555 (used)
6. Audio Note (UK) DAC 5 (owned for 2 years)

The MSB was typical of what I expect from most modern DAC sound, it sounded digital to me. It is not the direction I wanted to go down.

I don't question your results, but note that's an 8-year old MSB dac - the sound is *much* different post Analog dac. The Reference/Select are beyond reproach and I could easily ditch an analog rig for either which I haven't heard with any other dac. Once you hear them, the mechanical/digital nature of others rears its head which I am sensitive to as you are.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I don't question your results, but note that's an 8-year old MSB dac - the sound is *much* different post Analog dac. The Reference/Select are beyond reproach and I could easily ditch an analog rig for either which I haven't heard with any other dac. Once you hear them, the mechanical/digital nature of others rears its head which I am sensitive to as you are.

I am sure that is the case. But I have heard the MSB Reference at Munich and wasn't convinced by it, though the speakers maybe part of that.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

I am sure that is the case. But I have heard the MSB Reference at Munich and wasn't convinced by it, though the speakers maybe part of that.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Good work Esotar ! Like you say it’s all in fun .

How about servers next ?

As my thought, world best no. 1 music server is [SGM 2015].

But SGM 2015 is not imported in Korea yet.

I ordered LH Labs [Source Signature Sudio Server 10TB].

When it is arrived, I'll compare to Aurender W20 + Rubidium clock generator and Super Komputer.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
As my thought, world best no. 1 music server is [SGM 2015].
But SGM 2015 is not imported in Korea yet.
I ordered LH Labs [Source Signature Sudio Server 10TB].
When it is arrived, I'll compare to Aurender W20 + Rubidium clock generator and Super Komputer.

Hello Esotar,

In my humble opinion, SGMS2015 is not the best server in the market but only one of the best.

The Memory Player MP-64-16 is as good, but with different sonic characters. I have compared the two of them many times.
https://www.thememoryplayer.net/
And I guess the Memory Player top model MP-64-32 is most probably better than the SGMS2015.

Luckily, SGM has just launched the SGMS EVO edition.
It has arrived at the Hong Kong SGMS dealer yesterday.
I shall go to have a listen today afternoon.
Will update WBF members of its performance for sure. :D

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hello Esotar,

In my humble opinion, SGMS2015 is not the best server in the market but only one of the best.

The Memory Player MP-64-16 is as good, but with different sonic characters. I have compared the two of them many times.
https://www.thememoryplayer.net/
And I guess the Memory Player top model MP-64-32 is most probably better than the SGMS2015.

Luckily, SGM has just launched the SGMS EVO edition.
It has arrived at the Hong Kong SGMS dealer yesterday.
I shall go to have a listen today afternoon.
Will update WBF members of its performance for sure. :D

Wow~!

It's very expensive~!!!

In WBF, there is no one who use this product.

I'm very interested with it~!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
View attachment 43039 Internal fuse is 1A slow blow 5x20mm. It’s users choice to stick with same value or uprate to 1.6A if going for audiophile fuse.
I will try to give my impressions after a few weeks burn in as my Sablon USB cable also requires some time on it.
Current footers are IsoAcoustic Orea Indigo but also have Rollerballs and BDR cones to try. My Mag-Lev feet are too small to use unfortunately as I often prefer those.
Two Herbies Audio Lab dBNeutralizer sheets rest on the top cover with a 4Kg ceramic tile as added ballast.

Blue58

Thanks, will upgrade the fuse when I have the DAC upgraded to xHD.

BobbinHobbin

Jul 15, 2016
Hey Esotar, any chance of you trying the Metrum Adagio or Pavane DACs?

You seem to like analog sounding DACs & they are stated to be in the top tier for that.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hey Esotar, any chance of you trying the Metrum Adagio or Pavane DACs?

You seem to like analog sounding DACs & they are stated to be in the top tier for that.

In Korea, there is not Metrum's distributor yet.

I ordered Adagio through overseas direct purchase, and tested for one month.

I think Adagio is very reasonable choice.

Because good pre-amp is include, to use it can be system simplification.

I didn't write Adagio in my comparison test list, but among mid-price DACs, Adagio can be wise option, I think.

I didn't test Pavane.

smodtactical

Sep 15, 2018
Hey everyone, right now I am listening to FLACs with foobar2k and wasapi -> HDV 820 -> ZMF auteur, atticus and HD800S. It sounds great but I want to step up. I heard my friends Master 9+master 7 stack and was impressed with the blacker background, bigger soundstage and more detailed sound.

I decided to most likely get an Audio GD HE9.

Now I have to decide on a DAC. Right now I have a local seller who has the DS Sr. for $3850 USD brand new in box or I got a lead on a Terminator for about the same price and warranty.

Any thoughts on which direction to go? I listen to mainly Ambient, Techno, Jazz, Classical and instrumental music (Nicholas Gunn, Robert Michaels) Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing