Best possible tonearm for Linn LP12

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
Long-term LP12 spinner here.

Our LP12 has the KAROUSEL bearing, the STACK AUDIO sub-chassis, ultra-rigid BLACK DIAMOND RACING CONES threaded to the plinth for feet, pimped ORIGIN LIVE DC motor speed control unit powered by a massive 160W/24V ultra-low-noise LHY Linear Power Supply. We run the solid carbon BOSTON AUDIOMAT. The jointless, silicone BLUE BELT completes the ensemble.

I can report that our WAND PLUS 9.5 tonearm is an absolutely stunning match for the LP12.

I'd also mention that removing the (singing) LINN springs and installing AUDIOSILENTE silicone mushrooms in their place (~$100 in parts) was one of the biggest sonic upgrades our LP12 has ever undergone. I'm in touch with dozens of global "springless" converts and not a single one of them have ever reverted to the springs.

As a side benefit, due to the superior support and much restricted sub-chassis travel, I suspect the silicone mushrooms would allow for a far heavier arm to be happily fitted to the venerable old fruitbox.

Reactions: No Regrets

booker

Oct 16, 2017
Yes. I can confirm hat springless LP12 brings new sound picture. It is just different TT with mushrooms. In my case it brought more body to the music. One must try it and decide. I tried it on my pre-Cirkus LP12 with AMG 9w2. I am going to try it soon on my main LP12 with Kuzma 4P9. We shall see.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
Yes. I can confirm that springless LP12 brings new sound picture. It is just different TT with mushrooms. In my case it brought more body to the music. One must try it and decide. I tried it on my pre-Cirkus LP12 with AMG 9w2. I am going to try it soon on my main LP12 with Kuzma 4P9. We shall see.

Thanks for confirming, Booker.

I'm in touch with dozens of "springless" LP12 converts worldwide.

I've never known a single one of them to revert to the (singing) springs.

Good to hear that you made the change and reaped the sonic rewards.

There's no missing that infernal bounce either, is there? ;)

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I am a very happy Ekos SE/Keel user. If your stylus is mismounted on the cantilever, return the cartridge. Most are right within a few degrees, and you are not going to get any adjustable headshell any more precisely mounted. And it will never be as rigidly connected to the arm as an integral headshell.

With that said, the Clearaudio Universal 9” uses the Linn mount. But I don’t know if it has proper overhang with the Keel’s fixed arm pivot hole location. I use a Universal 12” on my Clearaudio Master Reference. You can add a VTA adjuster, but in my experience, that’s another red herring.

edit: I just dug around a bit, and it looks like the keel or kore, with their pre-bored arm pillar hole, do not allow a proper match of the Clearaudio 9”with the LP12. :(

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing