Cable for tweeter

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
HI everybody, my speakers are tri- wired and I want to change the cable to the tweeter what will be the effect if I used a much better cable how will it impact the sound.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It could be pretty substantial depending on the wire installed to begin with. If I were at it anyway, I'd change the wires to the midrange too. The difference would be much more apparent.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I have silver cabling of a particular brand for the whole setup except the tweeter and one interconnect from the pre to power amp

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh, the tweeter is the only one left? Cool, go for it :D

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Well that depends on:
a] what do you mean by 'better cable' ?
b] what affect are you hoping for?
c] what is the impedance curve of the tweeter?
d] how long will the new cable be?

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
better meaning in construction the effect better highs and more air around instruments length 2.5mts

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Have Dave at ZenWave audio make you a twisted cable for them out of his proprietary gold/silver wire that is Litz style. Litz is when each individual strand has a coating. This minimizes skin effect, which is something that higher frequencies deal with more so.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
A pair of 18g fine silver solid core wires threaded into silk tubing and then twisted will give you a great bang for the buck. No need for terminations, just form a loop with the wire for the binding post. Also use silk rather than cotton as the latter sounds rather dry and muffled in comparison.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Lessloss C-Marc speaker cable.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Have Dave at ZenWave audio make you a twisted cable for them out of his proprietary gold/silver wire that is Litz style. Litz is when each individual strand has a coating. This minimizes skin effect, which is something that higher frequencies deal with more so.

The most extreme example of this is the Lessloss C-Marc, which sounds amazing

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
This is simple and effective:

Get silver-plated copper (preferably OCC from Japan) in 22 or 24 gauge, black and white Teflon conformal insulation.

Twist together 4-6 pairs of black and white wires and then connect all of the blacks together at one and all of the whites together at one end. Then do the same at the other end. Terminate with fastons or whatever the speaker and crossover needs. Just let all of these hang loosely in the cabinet, do not twist the twisted-pairs with each other.

This will create a high-Q low inductance transmission line that will not impede the HF transients. For the tweeter, this will beat 99% of the ready-made cables on the market. They are all compromises in order to support all frequencies. You only want to optimize the HF in this case.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Get silver-plated copper (preferably OCC from Japan) in 22 or 24 gauge, black and white Teflon conformal insulation.

Twist together 4-6 pairs of black and white wires and then connect all of the blacks together at one and all of the whites together at one end. Then do the same at the other end. Terminate with fastons or whatever the speaker and crossover needs. Just let all of these hang loosely in the cabinet, do not twist the twisted-pairs with each other.

This will create a high-Q low inductance transmission line that will not impede the HF transients. For the tweeter, this will beat 99% of the ready-made cables on the market. They are all compromises in order to support all frequencies. You only want to optimize the HF in this case.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The cables of my TAD tweeters and midrange are not difficult to replace. I also plan to switch to SilverGold.

7A259D5F-77DE-4593-BE22-A1CADEC27F0B.jpg
9A67272D-3D3B-47BA-A05A-2848826EE97F.jpg

I think the difficult part is to balance the sound if different types and brands of cables are used for drivers, tweeters.

Kind regards,
Tang

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Did you see how the Lessloss is made?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
What happens when you change the copper cable to the silver cable for the tweeter

Assuming that you have good silver and that you don't break it in the processing and installation, it should be better sounding. Good silver means OCC and properly annealed and properly handled after annealing.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing