Cable Lifts thread

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
So far I have found two possible reasons for cable lifters:
1] they might tidy up room appearance and make vacuuming easier.
2] they might prevent cable color agents from staining a light colored carpet.

Reactions: bazelio

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Per a previous recommendation on this site, I use CD cases. Very audible, positive impact. Total cost about $5 for ten pieces.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Empty CD cases, good idea. Very audible, positive impact?
_____

* Cable lifters can make vacuuming easier, like six inches from the floor?
Why not just disconnect them and move them aside for few minutes?

** I've never heard of speaker cables an AC power cables staining light colored carpets. It would have to be real hot and melt them, no?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: johndoe21ro

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All kidding aside, these seem like a good idea by reducing vibrations in the cable. Maybe not for everyone, but for those looking for every possible tweak they might be useful.

https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/df-ss-cable-elevator/

Bud, these do look good and well-made! The rubber band bridge also makes some sense!

Who is going to do a comprehensive sound test of these Shinyata elevators versus the Furutech cable elevators?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
All kidding aside, these seem like a good idea by reducing vibrations in the cable. Maybe not for everyone, but for those looking for every possible tweak they might be useful.

https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/df-ss-cable-elevator/

+1 on the Shunyata lifters, I have the previous version and they do the job nicely. I also borrowed the furutech lifter a while back but that coincided with the start of my house renovation and then house sale so I didn’t get the chance to use it at the time so can’t say as to the performance differences. Impressive bit of kit though.

However, i wouldn’t imagine using the Furutech lifters for more than use at power cable ends and in reality am happy with using Shunyata lifters and then Entreq wraps around the connectors. This combination has a nice functional look overall, not too OTT in cost and a good balance of both dealing with shielding and mechanical support for power and signal cables and connections.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
All kidding aside, these seem like a good idea by reducing vibrations in the cable. Maybe not for everyone, but for those looking for every possible tweak they might be useful......................
Not that it matters in the least, but the cables will vibrate more when suspended in the air like guitar stings than when laying on the carpet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bud, these do look good and well-made! The rubber band bridge also makes some sense!

Who is going to do a comprehensive sound test of these Shinyata elevators versus the Furutech cable elevators?

You?

You are the best audio reviewer/writer @ WBF.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You?

You are the best audio reviewer/writer @ WBF.

Thank you, but, no, I am not.

(And you don’t need to be brown-nosing like that.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Bob. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use lifters for two reasons. First to keep dust bunnies at bay and second to make sure there is less stress on receptacles. Sonically whatever improvements there might be are in the "I could just be imagining it" category. I can't really say. I don't have wall to wall carpet so there are no benefits to be had on that front.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron,

As far as I could see the Furutech cable elevators are intended to be used with power cables and the Shunyata elevators with signal cables - they can not be compared.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Ron,

As far as I could see the Furutech cable elevators are intended to be used with power cables and the Shunyata elevators with signal cables - they can not be compared.

I think as Elliot mentioned, Furutech has now has two sets of elevators, those intended for power cables and those intended for cable elevators.

As to the support for the power cable, my MSB Select II is almost unusable with the large Gobel fitting without the Furutech as the leverage without it causes it to unplug too often. I think these high end manufacturers of all brands would do well to build their products with better support for cables of all types knowing that all (or almost all) endusers will be using these type of high end power cords and cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think as Elliot mentioned, Furutech has now has two sets of elevators, those intended for power cables and those intended for cable elevators.
(...)

Thanks - can you post a link to them? I was recently at our Furutech distributor presentation of the cable elevators and was only shown the NCF elevators for power cables.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Empty CD cases, good idea. Very audible, positive impact?

Absolutely. Less noise, better imaging, less smearing, etc.

Problem is they are inexpensive so many folks on this site are (unfortunately) unlikely to try them. :cool:

And they do reduce any "floor vibration" to a single point of contact for each case used.

Highly recommended for raising cables off the carpet for those that don't want to spend thousands of dollars on the "high end" lifters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing