DAC comparison and recommendation request

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
.... Currently, the Kassandra Ref MK2 resides in my room, priced similarly to the Playback Design. I can confidently affirm that this transition led me to use my digital setup more frequently than my vinyl system......
Let me guess - you don't have an Aries Cerat Phonostage yet. ;):D:cool:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, that is a mind blowing piece of gear...even the "entry level" Talos Reference.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I love The Allnic DHT 8000 i also have the CSport but the Allnic is far above. not planning on the Aries Cerat yet just secured the Ithaka.
Let me guess - you don't have an Aries Cerat Phonostage yet.

Reactions: morricab

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Yes, that is a mind blowing piece of gear...even the "entry level" Talos Reference.
I would like to see (one day when I can audition the Talos) how good the Talos is against my CH P1 & X1 with a direct A to B comparison with my Headphone System.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Despite the excellence of the Playback Design DAC, I eventually upgraded to the Aries Cerat Kassandra, which, in my opinion, sounded even better.
The problem I have with your statement is you don't really know that. The problem with tube gear is that you cannot predict how it will sound in six months much less in four years. Even the manufacturer does not know how the unit will perform in a few years. It will change as the tubes age and as tubes are inevitably replaced. Will tubes still be available? Will it still sound better than the MPD8 with whatever tubes are available? The MPD8 sounds the same after four years.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The problem I have with your statement is you don't really know that. The problem with tube gear is that you cannot predict how it will sound in six months much less in four years. Even the manufacturer does not know how the unit will perform in a few years. It will change as the tubes age and as tubes are inevitably replaced. Will tubes still be available? Will it still sound better than the MPD8 with whatever tubes are available? The MPD8 sounds the same after four years.
The E280F tubes exhibit a tendency to improve in sound quality as they age within limits, boasting a lifespan of 10,000 hours. Swapping these tubes takes just 5 minutes, allowing you to adjust the DAC bias and fine-tune it to your preferences. In my experience testing various tubes on the Kassandra DAC, it consistently outperforms my Playback Design across all types, following a detailed 6-month direct comparison period rather than a brief reviewer trial of 2-4 weeks. Having extensively used both systems, I am intimately familiar with the nuanced sound profile of the Playback Design, having owned it for over 4 years with daily usage.

Throughout the span of 4 years, the sound profile of the Playback Design has consistently evolved with each successive upgrade.

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I would like to see (one day when I can audition the Talos) how good the Talos is against my CH P1 & X1 with a direct A to B comparison with my Headphone System.
For a more suitable comparison, the CH Phono Stage could be pitted against either the Talos LE or the Kirke Phono Stage, the latter equipped with the TriodeFet output stage.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
I can only agree with Stavros. I have a Talos Ref and was also able to listen to the Talos Sig, but also an Allnic H 8000 and a Phasemation 2000. I have also listened to a JMF ph703 (before the last revision, which took place last year) in my hi-fi system.

OK, maybe the context of the overall system (especially the preamp) plays a role, which in my case consisted of Aries Cerat components. In any case, the Reference was already at least on a par with the other devices, in some cases superior (e.g. tonal colours) if you apply pure hi-fi criteria - but if you add high-end criteria (I mean in particular the physicality of the imaging, physical presence, authenticity, flow, etc.), the Ref was clearly superior. Well, the sig is simply even better. But the Ref is already very, very good and absolutely worth its price. Wonderful!

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing