Dido: No Angel and Life For Rent

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is No Angel an all-analog (AAA) recording?

Is Life For Rent a digital recording?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmm 2003 --can't be sure, but I'd say no, it is smoothly done as I recall--I trust you already have copies of these?

It just I sold My Life for Rent LP for $400!--its frankly not worth that amount to buy I'd say in confidence.

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hmm 2003 --can't be sure, but I'd say no, it is smoothly done as I recall--I trust you already have copies of these?

It just I sold My Life for Rent LP for $400!--its frankly not worth that amount to buy I'd say in confidence.

BruceD

Yes I have both. My suspicion is that No Angel is an analog recording but that Life For Rent is a digital recording. The vocal on Life For Rent sounds dry and metallic to me.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes I have both. My suspicion is that No Angel is an analog recording but that Life For Rent is a digital recording. The vocal on Life For Rent sounds dry and metallic to me.

You may be right Ron-- I had the original Arista UK pressing which I'd call smooth with a tad light on the dynamics maybe, but with no apparent "digital artefacts"

--I cannot vouch for the Classic 015 issue--I have not heard that one.

Good Luck with the search

BruceD

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only have No Angel and can't find out it's provenance, but I think it's one of finest pressings I own.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, this is another interesting analog versus digital recording contrast by the same artist. I think Life For Rent sounds just as dry and “menthol” as Surfacing, whereas No Angel sounds more natural.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have both Classic 33 and 45 rpm test pressings of these titles. Classic Records pretty much stuck to analog mastered sources for their LP releases. I tend to think no digital...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Christian, do you think Surfacing is not a digital recording?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ron, this is the 2nd time I've heard you use the term 'menthol' to describe a sonic attribute. Can you elaborate? Does one have to be (or been) a smoker to know what this means?

On a separate note, what happened to this wonderful singer? She seduced us with these two albums and disappeared.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, this is the 2nd time I've heard you use the term 'menthol' to describe a sonic attribute. Can you elaborate? Does one have to be (or been) a smoker to know what this means?

On a separate note, what happened to this wonderful singer? She seduced us with these two albums and disappeared.

Dear Ian,

I have no idea what happened to Dido. I assume she retired from singing.

I hear a very distinctive and unpleasant sound from digital on vocals. I hear a dryness and an electronic-y haze.

I have never smoked, so I certainly did not intend to make a smoking analogy. I meant menthol as in the taste in gum or toothpaste or mints — a dry and cool sensation. Alternatively I mean the sonic version of the dryness and tightness in your chest if you experience a small bout of heartburn.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the clarification, Ron.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Yes, this is another interesting analog versus digital recording contrast by the same artist. I think Life For Rent sounds just as dry and “menthol” as Surfacing, whereas No Angel sounds more natural.
Surfacing is one of my favorites to listen to when I get home from work but I have never felt it to not sound open and natural. Going to have to have you over for a visit Ron;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing