Different lengths power cables

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
In sound quality terms, is much to be gained by keeping Shunyata power cables as short as possible? Using the most convenient wall socket for a Delta NR cable I am thinking of getting would require me to get a 10 foot cable. But a standard length cable would be fine if I used the wall socket nearest to my equipment rack, which would require a bit of creative thinking in terms of equipment and cable positioning (some touching of power cables in this instance might be unavoidable). Thanks.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Steve, longer power cords typically sound fuller but are looser in control. Likely cheaper and neater to have an extra wall socket wired up.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
In sound quality terms, is much to be gained by keeping Shunyata power cables as short as possible? Using the most convenient wall socket for a Delta NR cable I am thinking of getting would require me to get a 10 foot cable. But a standard length cable would be fine if I used the wall socket nearest to my equipment rack, which would require a bit of creative thinking in terms of equipment and cable positioning (some touching of power cables in this instance might be unavoidable). Thanks.

The difference between a ten foot and a standard length would be negligible. In fact, if you are running to the wall, the longer length might be slightly preferred from a sound quality standpoint. There would be no inductive penalty because of the way our power cords are designed, so the longer length in this case may marginally outperform the shorter length ( the more separation between the wall-wire and component with better power cords can be of some benefit). Keep in mind that standard length cables are easier to re-sell in general than custom length power cords, but other than that caveat I see no strong reason to choose one length over another. I would choose the length that best suits your application. Be wary of causing a ground-loop hum if you are using outlets from multiple circuits or combining the use of a house ac line with a dedicated line.

Regards,

Grant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing