German Physiks Unicorn: An alternate take on single driver speakers. Did you ever have a chance to audition it? What did you think?

Twelve years ago, I was completing my dream vacation home, with the living room overlooking the Aegean Sea, and ready to host a moderate audio system that was natural sounding. A discussion with Holger Muller from German Physiks led to the purchase of the Unicorn Mk 2, a single driver, horn loaded, omnidirectional speaker. I already owned the Borderland and was familiar with the GP “house” sound, so I took him on his word, without auditioning them.

It was detailed and analytical, yet very musical. All my friends were taken by the dynamics and the sound character of the speaker. It had natural sound with extended highs and deep bass, although the specs say it went down to 40 Hz only. It certainly felt that was significantly lower. No bass was missing from the performance and the proof was on how you felt the drums or the double bass on your chest. The midrange was full and realistic with the voices very palpable and engaging. Relying solely on the omnidirectional DDD for the entire frequency spectrum, you could experience the absence of a crossover and its associated benefits. There were no discontinuities or change in character from driver to driver, encountered on conventional speakers. Distortion and sonic stress were not present either, no matter the volume level.

The area that I was pleasantly surprised the most was on how the speakers were rendering live recordings. It was the most realistic “being there” that I had felt no matter which speaker I had heard (Yes, I know, there are many factors at play, and it could not be the only one). The realism of the piano and the drums were exemplary, mainly on how quick they were and at the right pitch. Over the years I discovered that Jazz, blues, world music and rock sounded the best, as the Unicorn is not afraid to perform at higher SPLs (90+ at the listening position) while remaining fully composed and maintaining a wide and deep soundstage, with plenty of “air” between the instruments.

Concluding, the Unicorn became one of our reference speakers. Everyone visiting, before they go home, insisted listening to The Name of this Band is Talking Heads, a live 2 LP set recorded between 1980-1981 by the Talking Heads. The pace and rhythm rendered was unparalleled, allowing some of us to relieve our NYC college days at CBGB. Now before they visit me, they ask, referring to the Unicorn: “Is the Psycho Killer” connected?
71900084973__DE253A5C-C134-43A1-A141-6FBB0F862711.jpeg
Associated equipment: Thales Compact II and Simplicity II tonearm; Shelter Harmony cartridge; EMM Labs NS1 Streamer; EMM Labs DA2 V2 DAC; Ypsilon PST 100 Mk2 preamplifier; Ypsilon Hyperion mono amplifiers; German Physiks Emperor Stereo Reference Amplifier. All interconnects and speaker cables from FM Acoustics and power cables from Audioquest.

Twelve years ago, I was completing my dream vacation home, with the living room overlooking the Aegean Sea, and ready to host a moderate audio system that was natural sounding. A discussion with Holger Muller from German Physiks led to the purchase of the Unicorn Mk 2, a single driver, horn loaded, omnidirectional speaker. I already owned the Borderland and was familiar with the GP “house” sound, so I took him on his word, without auditioning them.

It was detailed and analytical, yet very musical. All my friends were taken by the dynamics and the sound character of the speaker. It had natural sound with extended highs and deep bass, although the specs say it went down to 40 Hz only. It certainly felt that was significantly lower. No bass was missing from the performance and the proof was on how you felt the drums or the double bass on your chest. The midrange was full and realistic with the voices very palpable and engaging. Relying solely on the omnidirectional DDD for the entire frequency spectrum, you could experience the absence of a crossover and its associated benefits. There were no discontinuities or change in character from driver to driver, encountered on conventional speakers. Distortion and sonic stress were not present either, no matter the volume level.

The area that I was pleasantly surprised the most was on how the speakers were rendering live recordings. It was the most realistic “being there” that I had felt no matter which speaker I had heard (Yes, I know, there are many factors at play, and it could not be the only one). The realism of the piano and the drums were exemplary, mainly on how quick they were and at the right pitch. Over the years I discovered that Jazz, blues, world music and rock sounded the best, as the Unicorn is not afraid to perform at higher SPLs (90+ at the listening position) while remaining fully composed and maintaining a wide and deep soundstage, with plenty of “air” between the instruments.

Concluding, the Unicorn became one of our reference speakers. Everyone visiting, before they go home, insisted listening to The Name of this Band is Talking Heads, a live 2 LP set recorded between 1980-1981 by the Talking Heads. The pace and rhythm rendered was unparalleled, allowing some of us to relieve our NYC college days at CBGB. Now before they visit me, they ask, referring to the Unicorn: “Is the Psycho Killer” connected?
View attachment 120857
Associated equipment: Thales Compact II and Simplicity II tonearm; Shelter Harmony cartridge; EMM Labs NS1 Streamer; EMM Labs DA2 V2 DAC; Ypsilon PST 100 Mk2 preamplifier; Ypsilon Hyperion mono amplifiers; German Physiks Emperor Stereo Reference Amplifier. All interconnects and speaker cables from FM Acoustics and power cables from Audioquest.

When Basile called me out of the blue several months ago, and asked if I would come to Dallas to help set up his new Studio / Salon / Listening room with his line of German Physiks Speakers, among other lines, I said yes, of course. I have been working with German Physiks speakers for years and used them successfully at many audio shows.

When I arrived at his studio in Dallas I was a bit taken aback. Basile had five different sets of German Physiks speakers on the floor. I had never seen an importer with that wide a variety of German Physiks Speakers, a serious investment. And that in a nutshell describes Basile, very serious about his love of music. Yet one can't but get caught up by his infectious laugh. He likes to tell audio stories and speak of this industry endlessly like we all do. He is having fun in what he is doing which we all should, easy to sometimes forget isn't it?

Basil is serious about music and willing to spend the years and effort to walk that awkward winding, twisty path through the audio industry necessary to search out audio equipment that allows music to flow and be enjoyed.

I know we all have different descriptions and endless opinions :cool: we like to use to describe what we are after. Transparent, Musical, Spacious, the list goes on and on.

I spent several days setting up various speaker positions for the stable of German Physiks Speakers, the last being the Unicorns, an app name at first glance I thought. By the time we finished that setup and ran some music through the Unicorns I was tired to say the least. I just wanted to relax and listen to music.

Sometimes, when experiencing something unexpected and perhaps new, at times we can find ourselves at a loss for words. We are not quite sure what to say. That's what happened with the music coming from the Unicorns. All those terms you music-loving folks, us Audiophiles, like to apply to our favorite audio equipment-start pulling them out and apply them to these speakers.

You know when you have been doing something ( some form of work or hobby ) for so long for so many years that you can't help but become, ( let's all be humble about this ) and say skilled at what you do? I feel that somewhat about what I do in audio. After listening to the Unicorns I felt like I knew nothing, needed to go back to the beginning all those years ago and start over with my perceptions. I remembered telling Basile I felt humbled at what I was listening to. It was so musical I'm not sure what else to say.

But please don't believe me. All I can recommend is to go listen to them, make up your own mind. If nothing else you will have a great time listening to your favorite music and having a good laugh as you both tell stories of your experiences.

Michael Broughton Audiophile Source

Last edited:
Hi Basile, thanks for sharing your story (that vacation home overlooking the Aegean sounds very inspiring!).
I actually have listened to Unicorns, albeit some time ago -- if this is the model with the back loaded horn (BLH).
The music selection was mostly live and I remember being impressed by the sound of the crowd - the enthusiasm was there.The immediacy of the sound reminded me of a FLH.
Source was a TT.
Welcome to WBF!

I believe there a correction for non linearity implemented either in the digital or analogue domaine on differing sides of the amplifier for the Unicorns, which do you use and how do they sound without,? If they can be played safely like that.

I was quite intrigued by these a year or so ago when I thought I wouldn’t be able to get my NBLs to work in my new room and I’d need free space speakers. I did hear a couple of pairs of omnis (Duevel Bella Luna and Avantages Audio César) and liked them, with some reservations about the amplification used.

I believe there a correction for non linearity implemented either in the digital or analogue domaine on differing sides of the amplifier for the Unicorns, which do you use and how do they sound without,? If they can be played safely like that.

I was quite intrigued by these a year or so ago when I thought I wouldn’t be able to get my NBLs to work in my new room and I’d need free space speakers. I did hear a couple of pairs of omnis (Duevel Bella Luna and Avantages Audio César) and liked them, with some reservations about the amplification used.
@Yeti Thank you for your comments. I will try to address your question(s) below.

The Unicorn has no correction for non-linearity of any sort as none is needed. I assume, you may have been provided inaccurate information.

However, you may be referring to the passive equalization network placed between the power amplifier output and the loudspeaker which is used to protect the DDD driver from being damaged by unwanted large low frequency signals. It also provides adjustment of the low frequency roll-off and the high frequency level, similar to that provided on the higher-end German Physiks designs.
unicorn network.jpg
In the Unicorn Mk 2, the original passive equalizer can be replaced by a DSP based unit, which resides between the preamplifier and power amplifier. This allows the Unicorn to be connected directly to the power amplifier. The passive equalizer is still available as special order in most markets but in the US, it is standard, as we prefer its flexibility and sound qualities.

Please note that one of the two equalization methods must be used and they are not related to the type of sources, digital or analog.

I hope I have addressed your questions. Thanks again, Basile

When Basile called me out of the blue several months ago, and asked if I would come to Dallas to help set up his new Studio / Salon / Listening room with his line of German Physiks Speakers, among other lines, I said yes, of course. I have been working with German Physiks speakers for years and used them successfully at many audio shows.

When I arrived at his studio in Dallas I was a bit taken aback. Basile had five different sets of German Physiks speakers on the floor. I had never seen an importer with that wide a variety of German Physiks Speakers, a serious investment. And that in a nutshell describes Basile, very serious about his love of music. Yet one can't but get caught up by his infectious laugh. He likes to tell audio stories and speak of this industry endlessly like we all do. He is having fun in what he is doing which we all should, easy to sometimes forget isn't it?

Basil is serious about music and willing to spend the years and effort to walk that awkward winding, twisty path through the audio industry necessary to search out audio equipment that allows music to flow and be enjoyed.

I know we all have different descriptions and endless opinions :cool: we like to use to describe what we are after. Transparent, Musical, Spacious, the list goes on and on.

I spent several days setting up various speaker positions for the stable of German Physiks Speakers, the last being the Unicorns, an app name at first glance I thought. By the time we finished that setup and ran some music through the Unicorns I was tired to say the least. I just wanted to relax and listen to music.

Sometimes, when experiencing something unexpected and perhaps new, at times we can find ourselves at a loss for words. We are not quite sure what to say. That's what happened with the music coming from the Unicorns. All those terms you music-loving folks, us Audiophiles, like to apply to our favorite audio equipment-start pulling them out and apply them to these speakers.

You know when you have been doing something ( some form of work or hobby ) for so long for so many years that you can't help but become, ( let's all be humble about this ) and say skilled at what you do? I feel that somewhat about what I do in audio. After listening to the Unicorns I felt like I knew nothing, needed to go back to the beginning all those years ago and start over with my perceptions. I remembered telling Basile I felt humbled at what I was listening to. It was so musical I'm not sure what else to say.

But please don't believe me. All I can recommend is to go listen to them, make up your own mind. If nothing else you will have a great time listening to your favorite music and having a good laugh as you both tell stories of your experiences.

Michael Broughton Audiophile Source
Thank you Mike for your insightful post. A pleasant and welcome surprise, especially coming from a seasoned audio professional and audiophile of your caliper.

@Yeti Thank you for your comments. I will try to address your question(s) below.

The Unicorn has no correction for non-linearity of any sort as none is needed. I assume, you may have been provided inaccurate information.

However, you may be referring to the passive equalization network placed between the power amplifier output and the loudspeaker which is used to protect the DDD driver from being damaged by unwanted large low frequency signals. It also provides adjustment of the low frequency roll-off and the high frequency level, similar to that provided on the higher-end German Physiks designs.
View attachment 120907
In the Unicorn Mk 2, the original passive equalizer can be replaced by a DSP based unit, which resides between the preamplifier and power amplifier. This allows the Unicorn to be connected directly to the power amplifier. The passive equalizer is still available as special order in most markets but in the US, it is standard, as we prefer its flexibility and sound qualities.

Please note that one of the two equalization methods must be used and they are not related to the type of sources, digital or analog.

I hope I have addressed your questions. Thanks again,
I’m unlikely to use DSP either. You make it sound similar to a band pass filter with adjustable roll off at the top end. Presumably there is some phase shift too where it rolls off, though since you’re overlapping with the delayed rear radiation from the horn that might be no bad thing.

How are they with orchestral music?

As you may be able to tell I still have some curiosity about these speakers but the French importer only appears to have one dealer for them, that’s where I heard the Duevels, but he didn’t have any SP stock and referred back to the importer. There’s a UK dealer with a demo pair by the look of it and the amps I use but whether he would be happy to satisfy my curiosity when distribution contracts and Brexit preclude a sale seems unlikely, I will ask however as I’ll be in the UK in March.

@Yeti asked: "How are they with orchestral music?"

They are very good across the board --large orchestras, pre-classical, chamber music, etc. Everything we have thrown at them, it was delivered as it should. However, I am not the best to answer this question as it is not the type of music I usually listen and my orchestral record collection (appr. 300 titles) is limited to composers and conductors I like. It should be noted though, that for those that listen mostly to large orchestral music, the German Physiks PQS-302 will be more appropriate, provided they have the room.
If you have a chance to listen the Unicorn in the UK, it is worth it. Thanks, B

Congratulations on your first show!
How big is the room (ball-park figure)?
I just want to get an idea of how large a space the Unicorns need to bring out their best (or, the minimum area).
Regards

In your November 2023 post you indicted that you had the German Physics Emperor Reference amp. Apparently it was designed to bring out the best in their speakers. Was it designed and produced by German Physics or was it manufactured by another company for them?
How would you characterize the Emperor compared to Ypsilon?
Can the Emperor be used with other speakers?

@Basile: Locrian Audio: Your room at Southwest Audio Fest had absolutely beautiful, natural, warm, rich, relaxing tonality. And this was without room treatments in what was probably a narrower-than-ideal room. My wife and I both thought your room was among the very top rooms.

@Basile: Locrian Audio: Your room at Southwest Audio Fest had absolutely beautiful, natural, warm, rich, relaxing tonality. And this was without room treatments in what was probably a narrower-than-ideal room. My wife and I both thought your room was among the very top rooms.
Thank you for your kind words and for spending time with us at the SWAF. Indeed, we had brought half a 10 ft truck of room treatment material with us and we ended up using nothing. We were surprised as well. Mike spend two nights at the hotel trying to figure out what is the catch and why we do not need to add anything on the walls. It worked out just fine and we are happy with the results. One less thing to take down after the closing of the Show. Thanks again for visiting us.

... we had brought half a 10 ft truck of room treatment material with us and we ended up using nothing. We were surprised as well. Mike spend two nights at the hotel trying to figure out what is the catch and why we do not need to add anything on the walls. It worked out just fine and we are happy with the results.
VERY INTERESTING! Thanks for posting this insider information!

There was another room with omnidirectional speakers and they used a lot of plants as diffusion, maybe they had some absorption as well that I didn't notice (the lighting was pretty dim). My wife and I both preferred your room by a significant margin.

My guess is that since the off-axis energy of the German Physiks speakers is spectrally-correct and identical to the direct sound, alteration of the spectral balance of the in-room reflections via room treatment tends to be a net detriment as far as sound quality goes. There was something VERY RIGHT about the timbre in your room, and I think your spectrally-correct reflections were a big part of it.

In your November 2023 post you indicted that you had the German Physics Emperor Reference amp. Apparently it was designed to bring out the best in their speakers. Was it designed and produced by German Physics or was it manufactured by another company for them?
How would you characterize the Emperor compared to Ypsilon?
Can the Emperor be used with other speakers?
@Cadguy: Yes, German Physiks has its own line of electronics. I was told that it was done to have their own testing equipment and address select markets that require turnkey solutions. I do have the Emperor Stereo amplifier with 340W/ch RMS. The Emperor Electronics is German Physiks' own design and built in Germany. They make an integrated amp, preamplifier, stereo amp and monos and electronic crossover (exclusively for the German Physiks speakers). The integrated amp is a single chassis of the preamplifier and the stereo amp. Regarding the stereo amp, it has lots of current and can drive any speaker easily. In our studio we have driven several speaker brands successfully with great results. The Emperor electronics have natural sound and lots of "push," producing remarkable dynamics and bass. The amps also have gain settings with equalization that allow for better fit with various speakers. Obviously, the matching with German Physiks speakers is given but I prefer to demonstrate the speakers with Ypsilon or Accuphase because I do not want potential clients assume that the GP amp is mandatory for the speakers. Also, the amps I have selected are very versatile, musical and powerful to drive 99% of the speakers in the market. However, like all audiophiles, we have some preferences in audio. For example, at the SWAF, we were driving the GP Unicorn with the Accuphase A-80, a 60w/ch stereo class A. IMHO, small class A amps are better for the specific speaker. For the Borderlands, I use the Emperor. For the large GP (PQS-302), I use the Hyperions. However, all amplifiers I mentioned can drive all the speakers in our product line (as well as difficult loads) because we select our system components very carefully. Another example is that the Accuphase A-80 drives easily the PQS-302, even though is only 60W.

Regarding the Ypsilon Hyperions we use at the studio, I consider them the best amplifiers I have ever heard at any price point, encompassing the ultimate transparency. The comparison with the Emperor stereo is unfair because it is 1/4th of the Hyperions' price. Those audiophiles that opt for the Hyperions will never consider the Emperor Stereo. Different market segment. However, for those that are in the market for a well made amp that can last for long time, is detailed, transparent, musical, with ability to drive any load down to 1 ohm, has lots of reserves, and costs under 30K, will or should consider it.

Finally, just to illustrate the point, when we bring the German Physiks Loreley (shown below) in the Studio, we will drive the 200Hz-24,000 Hz range with Ypsilon Hyperion and the 200-20Hz with the Emperor.

I hope I have answered all questions without boring you. Take care, Basile
1710970015697.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie B.
I´m allways surprised how little known the German Physiks speakers are for their unique technology and superb sound and craftmanship.
My German Physiks PQS 302 and Ypsilon Aelius Monos are a match made in heaven. I love both very much and the input tube in the Ypsilons preserve the inner soul of the music better than most transistor amps could imho.
Do listen to them one day!
Charlie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing