Golden Gate 2 Reactions

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
@Golum,
When you requested your dac with the constant output, did you specify the output voltage that you desired? Is it set to 2v or standard CD output volts or something else?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Here is what he told me in person:
Just checked at the spec sheet - each tube setting has it’s own output voltage and as Norm said 242 is at 270mV, 101d/PX4 at 300mV, 300b 290mV and 45 260mV so maybe this explains a bit. I specifically asked the guys to take care about this, as i had tooooo much gain with balanced version and with my Ref6 it was not really a bingo combo. Now this one seriously kicks azz.

I don't think he made any specific numerical request, rather he indicated his issues with the old Balanced Dac. I think the DAC output may be 2v Peak to peak, but the the output in mv are what he stated above. in any case, I guess he will ask Lukasz for more details when he visits the factory on Saturday morning, as Goran is in Warsaw now on a business trip.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum,
When you requested your dac with the constant output, did you specify the output voltage that you desired? Is it set to 2v or standard CD output volts or something else?

Hi Shadowlight;

I did not specify - I just requested, as I'm using the active preamp, to be taken care of that and that they should use as a reference tube 242 (as it's the one with the highest gain). Rest was done by them. Also in the discussion with Lukasz Domansky (one day we'll all hear about his servers) he told me that he is always requesting from them low output voltage setting/s.

And as advised by Norman I'm in Warsaw currently and tmr visiting Lukasz and the factory so will ask for sure.

Cheers;
G

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the tallest of them all?

AD1. RK 300B is just a fatty.

I think I will raise a separate thread for Lampi tube reviews. We should have done that ages ago I think. The info is dotted all over the place.

Anyway, I can say with a very good degree of certainty that as far as I am concerned, in my system with my DAC, AD1 is a great valve. I believe it is the best I have and the best I have heard in my system (including other contemporary suspects I have borrowed off of Ked), all things considered. I'll explain why soon.

From left to right, KR PX4, EML AD1, EML GM 45, KR RK 300B.

Reactions: hemi5

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Did the big power tubes not catch on with Lampi rolling? Thought Lukasz was doing an 845 or something?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the tallest of them all?

AD1. RK 300B is just a fatty.

I think I will raise a separate thread for Lampi tube reviews. We should have done that ages ago I think. The info is dotted all over the place.

Anyway, I can say with a very good degree of certainty that as far as I am concerned, in my system with my DAC, AD1 is a great valve. I believe it is the best I have and the best I have heard in my system (including other contemporary suspects I have borrowed off of Ked), all things considered. I'll explain why soon.

From left to right, KR PX4, EML AD1, EML GM 45, KR RK 300B.

Miss Universe contenders, but the lady from Venezuela is missing (Elrog) ;-)

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Hi Shadowlight;

I did not specify - I just requested, as I'm using the active preamp, to be taken care of that and that they should use as a reference tube 242 (as it's the one with the highest gain). Rest was done by them. Also in the discussion with Lukasz Domansky (one day we'll all hear about his servers) he told me that he is always requesting from them low output voltage setting/s.

And as advised by Norman I'm in Warsaw currently and tmr visiting Lukasz and the factory so will ask for sure.

Cheers;
G

Thank you. I am hoping to do something similar for my B7 :)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Miss Universe contenders, but the lady from Venezuela is missing (Elrog) ;-)

Just post them to me:)

Right now I would be prepared to bet a good sum I am the only person in the entire world running AD1 in a Lampi.

On the basis of exclusivety, I win.:)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I took three pages of notes comparing RK 300B to the AD1 last night over the course of 4 solid hours of listening/swapping. I haven't got the time to type them up this weekend, but basically, in my honest opinion, the RK got trashed (OK harsh - but it didn't win for a large percentage of the time, but on occasions it did).

This is quite significant, as I felt 242 didn't better the RK when I kept cross comparing the two, at least in my system.

When I find the time I will provide more info.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Very system dependent though...just look at Goran's experience with Elrogs.

Remind me again, do you have the 5 point rotary tube switch?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No but I am bang on for 4V (AD1) and 5V (RK) valves, so a rotary switch would make no difference in this case.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Does Goran have the latest Mayer ELROGs or the older ones?
Older - NOS almost :D
But for me this is not the point (i mean old/new series) - point is that they worked really bad in few GGs and now in this one they work like a charm

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

And if you're right about 242 being 3.8V, I was very close to that in all likelihood. Only way to tell if you are bang on is with a multi-meter.

Whatever. Good valve, the AD1. Seems to prefer the Dueland rather than Jupiter caps, but the sonic difference between those caps is not maassive. It is there, though.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
This is quite significant, as I felt 242 didn't better the RK when I kept cross comparing the two, at least in my system.

Funny. When I had Normans RK 300b to test I first listened only to the RK 300b and I really liked them. In fact, they reminded me very much of 242 :cool:
But when I finally i serted my 242 again, it became obvious, that they are really very similar but that the 242 just do everthing a bit better.
Without direct comparison, I would have been happy (enough) with the RK 300b, but as it is, the 242 remains the Queen in my castle ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing