Hello from Texas and high up in the Rocky Mountains

run55

Jul 8, 2015
Im a long time lurker who is finally stepping out from behind the curtain.

I've been involved with audio since i landed the dream high school job at the high end audio shop in the late 60's. I cant and won't count how much money and time has been invested on audio. Ive gone through all the phases and now find myself in the active xover, full range, bespoke horn, SET 300b tube amp camp.

That system resides in Dallas. These days I spend a lot of my time at 8500 ft. elevation in the sleepy little 90town of Allenspark CO. The mountain system is currently small full range Audio Nirvana speakers driven by 300b SET amps. But, i'm scheming on a lager system using line source BG RD75 ribbons and a yet to be determined low end solution.

Music source in both locations centers on Roon servers, 2 TB of hirez, 14TB of redbook Flac files and Tidal. Dallas adds a rediscovery of my vinyl collection from my youth.

Speaking of youth, it is long since passed by. Im now 62, long since retired. My hobbies include audio (duh), photography, hiking, playing drums (university trained musician) and sports cars.

That's it for now. Eventually, I'll add system descriptions and pics.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn from this wonderful resource.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Im a long time lurker who is finally stepping out from behind the curtain.

I've been involved with audio since i landed the dream high school job at the high end audio shop in the late 60's. I cant and won't count how much money and time has been invested on audio. Ive gone through all the phases and now find myself in the active xover, full range, bespoke horn, SET 300b tube amp camp.

That system resides in Dallas. These days I spend a lot of my time at 8500 ft. elevation in the sleepy little 90town of Allenspark CO. The mountain system is currently small full range Audio Nirvana speakers driven by 300b SET amps. But, i'm scheming on a lager system using line source BG RD75 ribbons and a yet to be determined low end solution.

Music source in both locations centers on Roon servers, 2 TB of hirez, 14TB of redbook Flac files and Tidal. Dallas adds a rediscovery of my vinyl collection from my youth.

Speaking of youth, it is long since passed by. Im now 62, long since retired. My hobbies include audio (duh), photography, hiking, playing drums (university trained musician) and sports cars.

That's it for now. Eventually, I'll add system descriptions and pics.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn from this wonderful resource.

Welcome. I like your approach to audio, looking forward to seeing some picks.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hey Run,

Feel free to reach out anytime if you want to have a few beers over some tunes. I'm just West of you in Arlington. I'd love to experience your system as well since my exposure to great horn-based systems is somewhat limited. I've heard some good ones, but only a few that actually captured me. I recently got in my first demo unit of the MastersounD Evo 300B and it has sprung great interest in what the world of horns have to offer.

Cheers,

Skip

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Welcome...Allenspark is just up the road a piece from Golden and lies on one of my favorite highways to ride or drive....enjoy the music no matter which locale you happen to be.

Brock

run55

Jul 8, 2015
It's not obvious to me how to add pics. Tutorial?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, run55!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Welcome aboard, my son's south of you in Pine Jct, he's @ 8700'

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's not obvious to me how to add pics. Tutorial?

https://youtu.be/nKkd7VCPNjM
https://youtu.be/LqjHFdUE85k
https://youtu.be/N11mI0HwsJ0
https://youtu.be/NjIS8ADga5A

Hi and welcome,

There are several methods to insert pictures, photos from your computer, iPhone, tablet, etc., and videos, and animated pictures. There is a test forum section where you can practice:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?274-Test-Forum

It's the very last section of the main home page, scrolling down to the very bottom, can't miss it.

Please ask questions for further assistance, it would be our pleasure to expand your leasure in good measure.

Cheers,
Bob

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Welcome to our forum sir!

Tom

run55

Jul 8, 2015
Welcome to our forum sir!

Tom

eqp1.jpg eqp2.jpg
This is how it looks until I finally get around to building an equipment stand.

Digital: Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter AP i7, 16TB -> Socore MicroRendu -> Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Preamp/Crossover/Time Alignment/Room Correction DEQX 2.6P
Amps: Mid/High: Welborne Labs model Laurel IIX Ultimate S.E.T. tube monoblock amplifiers 8 watts each
Bass: Nakamichi PA5 Nelson Pass Stasis design 100 watts per channel
Speakers Upper: Oris 200 Tractix Horns by BD-Designs AER MD-1 8" drivers
Bass : Welborne designed cabinest with dual Cabasse drivers
Analog: Teres 125 turntable, VPI 16.5 cleaning machine, the rest to be determined
Drums: DW collector series, Zildjian cymbals

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Welcome to WBF. I’m in Dallas too. Maybe we can get together next time you are in Dallas? I’m an amateur drummer too. I love your DW kit! Nice! Oh yeah, nice audio system too...

run55

Jul 8, 2015
Mountain system is up and running.
BG RD-75 ribbons do a lot of things right, I do an active system using miniDSP 2-4hd, crossover is at 150hz to an infinite baffle up in the attic. 4 15" drivers powered by a pro Yamaha amp.

Attachments

• 20181010_183113.jpg
    20181010_183113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Welcome! I'm a fellow Texan from Round Rock. If you come down feel free to let me know, we have a bunch of audiofools that gather every now and again.

run55

Jul 8, 2015
This is what it looks like now.
View media item 235
View media item 236
View media item 234
Digital: Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter AP i7, 16TB, Tidal
Preamp/Crossover/DAC/Time Alignment/Room Correction DEQX HPD-5
Analog: Teres 125 turntable,Haddcock GH-228 unipivot, Denon DL-103, Music Fidelity V90-LPS phono stage, VPI 16.5 cleaning machine
Amps: Mid/High: Welborne Labs model Laurel IIX Ultimate S.E.T. tube monoblock amplifiers 8 watts each
Bass: Crown XLS 1502 class D 330 watts/channel
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle PLC FX2 6 X0e amd 18X filter
Cabling and speaker wires: Custom Litz
Speakers Upper: Oris 200 Tractix Horns by BD-Designs AER MD-1 8" drivers
Mid/Bass : Welborne designed cabinets with dual Cabasse drivers
Drums: DW collector series, Zildjian cymbals

Reactions: Ron Resnick

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Nice, the speaker remind me a bit of TotalDac speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing