hORNS Universum 3 MKII

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
5 millimeters does not look correct / 5 millimeters is one fifth of an inch - the tip of a baby's finger.
I have two pairs of beryllium domes from different manufacturers - actual 4 inch diameter domes = 100 millimeters / 5 inch total outside diameter = 125 millimeters.
Surface area to produce sound; the 4 inch dome [100mm] would have 400 times the surface area of the 5mm dome.

105 Db sensitivity is easily exceeded with a proper beryllium dome. The problem is that the beryllium dome walks all over the other drivers. Therefore, the signal to the beryllium driver must be attenuated to properly match the less sensitive drivers. That is probably where the 95.6 Db happens.

Respectfully,
zz.

Sorry! i somehow lost a zero whilest typing, that was supposed to be 50mm!!

This is from the Website:

High range 1x1” 1x1” Beryllium
Middle range 1x2” Beryllium

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry to keep having to repost my own quotes but they seem to be hard to read :)

The midrange is a 50mm and the tweeter a smaller version of the same driver, both are custom made for hORNS.

Again i think the lower senisitivity is a good thing as Fidelity and ultra high senisitivity dont necessarily go hand in hand.

Thanks, and sorry about that. I like Beryllium drivers, I bet they sound great. The issue with the low sensitivity is small SET amps are not appropriate anymore, but I'd bet a big 211/845/GM70 SET would be amazing with them.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks, and sorry about that. I like Beryllium drivers, I bet they sound great. The issue with the low sensitivity is small SET amps are not appropriate anymore, but I'd bet a big 211/845/GM70 SET would be amazing with them.

This is the point where someone with actual first hand experience with these speakers needs to start commenting.

Probably depends on the definition of "small set amps" but the evaluation i read they ended up using a unison simply italy 12 watt/ channel single ended EL 34 (measured 3.3 watt (!) into 4 ohms).

The bass is active so it will show as a very benign load....

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

Entirely the combination I would be considering Dave, were the hORNZ to tick boxes.
Rather easy on the eye in white finish as above, and not a plank of wood or Ply in sight!

Last edited:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I've heard these speakers and they are excellent, I use Horns.pl speakers myself, the model is the Mummy and again a really good speaker for the money at less than £4k new in the UK, if I had the room then I'd upgrade to the Universum without any hesitation, did you get to hear them yet Bonzo?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Audio blazer , how's it sounding . Running it with the VA monos? No tubes ?[/QUOTE

Didn't like the speakers the distributor was playing & decided to help him with a few friends to set up the horn speakers. Set up was not ideal with insufficient cables. Had to use Vitus integrated amp & Vitus Signature mono block . Without properly speaker placement , it sounded room filling & not as " horny " or shouty as we may expect from solid state amplification . The room is pretty big at 18x35x10 ft . At euro 27k , if you are looking for horn speakers I think this may be a good buy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I like to revitalize this thread, as I am expecting the arrival of my hORNS Universum III very soon.

During the Munich High End fair I had several opportunities to listen to the Universum speakers. They definitely have developed over the time, so for example the shape of the midrange Horn has changed.

The current Version of the hORNS Universum III has the well known 2 Beryllium drivers per channel, custom made for hORNS
(for 2000,-eur / each driver purchase cost to hORNS)
plus the 15' down firing subs in a special designed tube, like you may have seen it similar as an idea out of the Nautilus speakers concept.

The efficiency of the horn part is 106 db, the subwoofer has 100db.

There are separate binding posts to connect, so ideal would be 2 sets of stereo amp with a volume, like you find it with the most Japanese SET tube amps
(for example Air Tight, Kondo)

hORNS provide for the Universum III connection box with resistors to accommodate a single stereo amplification, you can switch different set ups to customize the speaker tonal balance.

If you order the speakers new, as I did, you can choose nearly every colour and even more... (for a premium price)

It took me some weeks to think about the best colour (you can even choose mat, shiny, structured....)

Than I saw a Porsche Boxter driving in a nice "modern" brown, with a brown roof (structured vinyl) and brown leather interior, so I thought, that this might work as well on the Universum III speakers.

So I ordered the speakers in the following specification:

- the 2 horns in brown, structured paint (hORNS recommend for better sound)
- Bass tubes in Brown leather :)
- frame in Black
- other painted parts in brown shiny

This will become a very unique and personal Universum III and I hope that the speakers will fit my room nicely.

hORNS will ship the speakers end of next week to my home, the German Distributor and and a German hORNS dealer will be aside to assist, as the speakers are heavy.

The experiment to combine high power tube gear with high efficiency speakers will continue, currently my CAT JL 3 Statement are firing the 97db Zingali....

Next weekend (hopefully) I can write some more.

At the moment the speakers are getting some hours burn in and last quality checks, so they sent me a first picture.

IMG_6989.JPG

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Congratulations Shakti on your order, Universum III are on my radar since a few years.
Pls share your impressions when delivered.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Welcome the the horn club of WBF (if there is one) :D

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shakti, you’re moving out the Zingalis for these. What was the thinking on these, when I chatted w you, you didn’t convey anything other than totall happiness w the Zings.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Zingali are very nice speakers, they are a little bit like the Harbeth of Horn Speakers. They are friendly and not aggressive. The Universum III is more a Diva, can sound more punchy and hard. At the moment I like to have something different, something which looks even more exotic, than the Zingali.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Friday was the big day!, the hORNS Universum III finally arrived.
Helping hands from the German Distributor and a German hORNS Dealer plus some audiophile friends were there to carry the speakers out of the polish truck with the 2 speakers. Something like 130 kg per speaker incl packaging material.

Out of the truck, we realized, that around 200 screws were used to protect the speakers, so it took a while to bring the speakers into their new home.

The first sound , placed on the Zingali position, were not that promising, but the distributor has warned be before, that the beryllium speakers will take some burn in time, and that mainly the adjustable junction box between MH and Bass will take up to 300h to perform in a satisfying way.

My room has 2 doors in opposite to the speakers, as I listen mostly with open doors, the speakers will see partially up to 20m, so deep bass response is good. Exotic Bass systems , like the down firing Universum III react on this mostly with a louder bass than normal. The adjustable junction box has a standard set up of -6db for MH section. But my set up sees -2 to -1 dB, so a lot more bass response that normal.

Fresh from the factory, the speakers were not very dynamic and resolution were missing, so I decided to drive the Universum III just with a BiWi Speakercable without the junction box.

Immediately all the dynamic, punch and resolution were back. Even with a light bass I could remember, that this is the performance I heard in Munich 2 years ago.

I like to trust the Distributor, that the junction box will sonically disappear after 300h of usage, so I connected the junction bos to a burn in device to speed this up.

But without the resistors in the junction box to balance bass and horn section I have big fun. I like to hear to listen to "lean" and precise speakers, actually the balance is similar to my YG. Many records are recorded on small speakers and do have too much bass. So with my actual Universum III man records are in Balance.

The possibility to adjust the speaker is very nice , in some days I will try the junction box again.

When I see the speakers in front of my, I love the colour match with my room very much, for my taste the speakers are sooo nice :)

In the next days I will fine tune the positioning , as the speakers do behave differently than the Zingali or YG, they like to stay on a different place in the room.

Finding the best position is a part of the hobby as well , so I am looking forward to it!

Regarding efficiency I have to say, the they SPL (on same amp volume) is very much the same than the Zingali, which had 97db.
So I assume, that even the Universum III has not more than 97db. The 15' bass need some control, so I would not recommend a 2A3 or similar tube amp. I see with robust 15 to 20 watt the limit. Listening to the bass, I even would recommend SET solid state like First watt from Pass.

My CAT Statement has a damping factor of around 100, which controls the bass nicely , so the bass is controlled and fast.

So far I like the resolution and precision of the Beryllium drivers. This drivers are making a big difference to other makes like Avantgarde.

My dream would be a japanese (like Kondo or Air Tight) 211 for the Bass and a 300b or 2A3 for the MH.

nearly all japanese tube amps are adjustable , so no junction box needed and the bass (in all rooms) adjusted to the level of MH .
IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7119.JPG

IMG_7120.JPG

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Glad you've got them as discussed over the meal at Spatenhaus.

This is what I thought when I heard them last. I liked them. And yours do look good in that room/finish.

Not sure if we were using the junction boxes. I suspect we were, but hey I don't know.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
thank you for the link, was a nice reading. The unknown turntable is a J Sikora "initial" from a nice polish turntable brand. Just thinking to get the "reference" Turntable from them. They were in Munich on Demo with Horns.

The Universum on the pictures are older models with a different shape of the midrange horn. At this times the Universum was sold with solid state amps for the bass or with switchable junction box , that the universum can be used just with one stereo amp.

Reading your description, that the Universum you heard was more laid back than Avantgarde , not so attacking the listener, I would assume, that the switchable box was used, as this is exactly what I am hearing with my junction box. Putting this box out of the way brings back all Horn specific attack and speed.

I am very much interested about the performance of the speaker, mainly the junction box, after the burn in period.
At the moment I am thinking to go back to hORNs original design, using a separate solid state subwoofer amp.
(means I have already ordered 2 solid state subwoofer amps, full analog, no class D...)

Mostly I like the first ideas of engineers , before marketing thinking have given the product an update...

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Those are one of not many horn speakers I can listen to with real pleasure. Such grown up, gentle, natural sound. I wish I had big enough room for speakers like this. Congratulation shakti, I am sure you gonna enjoy them big time! Finish looks great!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing