Hot Pressings

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I wasn't sure which thread to post this, so I'll take a chance here. I've only recently begun to download some Hi-Rez files from HD Tracks. Although I stick to mostly classical, I recently downloaded a few pop albums including Michael Jackson's Thriller. Is it just me or does that Hi-Rez AIFF file just suck? My humble original CD burned and played back on my Mac as good ol' redbook is far superior. The hi-rez file I downloaded is thin and anemic in the bass by comparison. Is this crappy file well-known to be, well, crappy? Is the source HD Tracks, suspect? Hard to believe there's not a great Hi-Rez file of this classic around somewhere.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I wasn't sure which thread to post this, so I'll take a chance here. I've only recently begun to download some Hi-Rez files from HD Tracks. Although I stick to mostly classical, I recently downloaded a few pop albums including Michael Jackson's Thriller. Is it just me or does that Hi-Rez AIFF file just suck? My humble original CD burned and played back on my Mac as good ol' redbook is far superior. The hi-rez file I downloaded is thin and anemic in the bass by comparison. Is this crappy file well-known to be, well, crappy? Is the source HD Tracks, suspect? Hard to believe there's not a great Hi-Rez file of this classic around somewhere.

I don't know how relevant this is, but I had a DSD version of Thriller and thought it sucked. I forget where it came from but obviously not HDTracks since they don't sell DSD, but when on HiRez's site I happened to read reviews praising their DSD version and curiosity got the better of me and I purchased it. It WAS better. Different mastering. Maybe you got the sucky mastering. :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
late to the party ...

One of my favorite live rock performances is Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water Live in Japan - one of the first few albums I bought. I used to be in a rock band when I was in high school (junior college) in Singapore, and Smoke on the Water was one of our signature pieces. I've got the first pressing of Live in Japan and a number of re-issues, but I've always been mildly disappointed with the sound. Some are better than others, but the absolute best sonically is on the Collectors Edition Deep Purple Mark 2 Purple Singles pressed on clear purple vinyl. The excitement of the audience is palpable, and I get goosebumps every time I listen to this LOUD.

Me too.

Although I must admit that SOTW is much like LZ-SWTHeaven to my ears; neither song I particularly like anymore ... but as a kid, I was hooked.

I had the standard LP (which I think was a reissue), have a German pressing and an (I think) original CD (which I picked up new for $2 in a sale bin). I relate to your "mildly" disappointing, although the German pressing always gets me doing my best Blackmore air guitar impersonations. This recording captured the MK2 at their peak(*). Wasn't aware of the "purple" edition, will keep an eye out. (Embarrassingly, I admit that I have an overwhelming addiction of collecting certain LPs in any version possible; example: Machine Head)

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I've never been able to find a digital copy I could listen to, until I got a "free" copy of The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac. I bought another CD off eBay and it came with three other free CDs. This redbook compilation CD sounds even better than the DVD-A, and far better than every other CD I have (and I have plenty).

I have the original LP, it still sounds quite good. On Dreams, M.Fleetwoods cymbal work often sounds muted with little true instrumental impact ... or ... very realistic with shimmering tight impact seemingly appearing way above my speakers. I've got one CD, not certain of the version, I should revisit.

(*) I must admit, I'm a big Steve Morse and Don Airy fan. I highly recommend Deep Purple Live at Montreux blu-ray, 16 cuts from the 40th anniversary Montreux show, and (bonus) the entire 60 minute show at London's Hard Rock Cafe earlier that same year. I also have the Deep Purple Perfect Strangers (Mk2 reformed in 1984) Live BR, but haven't watched/heard it yet.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Love Steve Morse on every level EXCEPT Deep Purple, just doesn't work at all for me. I am a MK2 fan all the way and DP without self indulgent Blackmore is unacceptable.

R.I.P. Jon Lord

Saw them with Dream Theater and ELP at Universal Amphitheater years ago and left half way through their set.

Also saw DP on the 1984 tour MK2 reformation, freeking loved it.

On another note, I just downloaded my first DSD file from Acoustic Sounds, Alan Parsons I Robot.

While It sounds better than the Redbook, more definition, high end harshness in the symbols fixed, the overall level of the download is very very low.

I REALLY have to turn it up to get decent volume levels :mad:

Has anybody else downloaded this with the same experience?

This is my first experience with Acoustic Sounds, I have not had this experience with HD Tracks.

Edited to put this in, one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever, Starting with the drum intro!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Love Steve Morse on every level EXCEPT Deep Purple, just doesn't work at all for me. I am a MK2 fan all the way and DP without self indulgent Blackmore is unacceptable.

Well, the MK2 DP was classic, but time moves on ... and while Richie creates ferry music, Morse recreates DP.

Personally, while I consider Blackmore a guitar god, I also consider Morse to be the more consistent, better/tighter all round player (and certainly much more professional).

R.I.P. Jon Lord

Yeah, always the voice of reason within this fighting band ... in my mind only one person has the chops to replace him, Don Airy (who played with RB Rainbow).

Saw them with Dream Theater and ELP at Universal Amphitheater years ago and left half way through their set.

Speaking of ELP (I witnessed and even met 'em (couldn't believe how physically small they were) a very long time ago ... I recently witnessed Carl Palmer (solo) in a small local pub. As a powerful a drummer as ever, although I was so disappointed he didn't play Tank.

Also saw DP on the 1984 tour MK2 reformation, freeking loved it.

Consider yourself lucky, because I've heard countless stories of people witnessing many poor MK2 performances in which Richie became intolerable. Same could be said for Van Halen, I saw them for the first time a few years ago, sitting in a seat next to me was a gentleman who was on his 5th VH tour. About a minute into the concert, he whispered to me that I was in for a treat that night. After the concert, I ask him about that comment, and he assured me that they could be either great, or downright awefull, depending on Ed's moods.

On another note, I just downloaded my first DSD file from Acoustic Sounds, Alan Parsons I Robot.

Still have an original LP pressing ... but like many bands of my youth, for some reason, they/it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as they once did.

tb1

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Still have an original LP pressing ... but like many bands of my youth, for some reason, they/it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as they once did.

tb1

:) on vinyl

I Robot - Canadian original and repress
I Robot - MFSL
I Robot - Classic Records
I Robot - UK
I Robot - Japanese

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Johnny, just curious ... did you ever get a chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I never did, sadly!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Every time I see your post, it brings back memories. I saw him 4 times, and each time was a guitar-god treat ... although on a few occasions he would combine a complete set of songs into one 60 minute tangent; never knew exactly which song he was currently playing ... which was fine by me.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Most people see an artist once, maybe twice, but 4 times! You're one lucky fella and I have no doubt that it brings back wonderful memories.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Every time I see your post, it brings back memories. I saw him 4 times, and each time was a guitar-god treat ... although on a few occasions he would combine a complete set of songs into one 60 minute tangent; never knew exactly which song he was currently playing ... which was fine by me.

Greetings from Tokyo boys!

A bit of jet lag insomnia so I thought I would check in..

I saw SRV 3 times. First in 84 at the Pier in NYC. Rough crowd! Hells Angels everywhere.
MIND blowing. Fogedabout it.

Second time, a DOUBLE bill with Jeff Beck, MSG..floor seats around 88. A sick, mind bending jam at the end. Never forget it.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
once with Colin James, twice solo ... and once opened for Jeff Healey (who graciously invited Stevie to play on his set). the 5th time was not a charm, as I missed him opening for Robert Plant even though I had tickets (shoulder operation).

Died @35, what a waste ... much like Randy Rhoads.

I'm so lucky to have lived in a vibrant musical city.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Greetings from Tokyo boys!

A bit of jet lag insomnia so I thought I would check in..

I saw SRV 3 times. First in 84 at the Pier in NYC. Rough crowd! Hells Angels everywhere.
MIND blowing. Fogedabout it.

Second time, a DOUBLE bill with Jeff Beck, MSG..floor seats around 88. A sick, mind bending jam at the end. Never forget it.

Hey Andre! You on vacation or business?

once with Colin James, twice solo ... and once opened for Jeff Healey (who graciously invited Stevie to play on his set). the 5th time was not a charm, as I missed him opening for Robert Plant even though I had tickets (shoulder operation).

Died @35, what a waste ... much like Randy Rhoads.

I'm so lucky to have lived in a vibrant musical city.

I did see Jeff Healey early on in his career and met him a few times. Seemed like a really down-to-earth person. Tall bugger too! Haven't seen Colin James, but I'm a fan for sure!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Andre! You on vacation or business?

I did see Jeff Healey early on in his career and met him a few times. Seemed like a really down-to-earth person. Tall bugger too! Haven't seen Colin James, but I'm a fan for sure!

Hey JV:

A bit of both actually.

I was in a neighbor hood yesterday where I stumbled upon a shop filled with new and relatively recent Marantz stuff.

Flagship integrated (had to wipe the drool off my chin) SACD players, mono amps, preamps. All in silver none the less!

Plus the Denon stuff..built like battleships. Luxman, Accuphase, Esoteric etc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey JV:

A bit of both actually.

I was in a neighbor hood yesterday where I stumbled upon a shop filled with new and relatively recent Marantz stuff.

Flagship integrated (had to wipe the drool off my chin) SACD players, mono amps, preamps. All in silver none the less!

Plus the Denon stuff..built like battleships. Luxman, Accuphase, Esoteric etc.

Take some pics will ya! Would love to see some of the gear they have for sale over there. :D

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I did see Jeff Healey early on in his career and met him a few times. Seemed like a really down-to-earth person. Tall bugger too!

Down to earth indeed ... Jeff was billboard top 10 listed when I saw him, but he understood (and communicated to the audience) that he should've been the one opening for Stevie.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Take some pics will ya! Would love to see some of the gear they have for sale over there. :D

will do!

by the way, physical media..CD, SACD, SHM CD, DVD, and Blu Ray are huge here.

i went to a massive, I mean huge, 5 story Tower Records and another local chain, and people were buying music right and left and checking out
listening stations.

i pawed several hard to find Platinum SHM discs with lust..Steve Winwood's Arc Of A Diver, etc...the bins were deep with every classic rock, soul, blues, and jazz artist you can name. Even the most obscure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing