How do you shop for audio components?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Over in the “long term loans to reviewers” thread, the topic diverted briefly to brink-n-mortar stores vs appointment only shops…

How do you shop for new gear? After reading reviews, or visiting shows, how do you narrow your decision process?

Do you consider “appointment only” shops (in a “brick-n-mortar” shop or someone’s home) a hindrance?

Would you visit someone’s home?

Are you willing to travel to hear new kit? If so, how far?

Do you limit yourself to auditioning components from only big established brands, or are you more inclined to seek out more bespoke offerings of smaller manufacturers?

My own evolution in the hobby was greatly influenced by visiting Rhapsody.Audio in NYC and hearing speakers I’d never heard of or even read about before. My ears were opened to a vastly larger world of possibilities vs the standard fare offered by brick-n-mortar shops in Seattle area.

What say you?

Last edited:
there is a progression to shopping. in car business marketing we call it (1) pre-funnel, (2) high funnel, (3) mid funnel, and (4) low funnel. and you need to be active with customers in each stage. i get into this because with hifi shoppers it's all about where they find their access to information. how that information is accessed, and who is credible for that information that will drive that low funnel activity.

so answers about how they shop will always jump around depending on where and how they encounter info that triggers their buying urge.

in the car business we were always looking for ways to capture customers in their (1) pre-funnel mode, where they were not shoppers yet. these were the best opportunities. customers who had gone all the way down the funnel were much more challenging.....but more numerous. buying for need, not desire or on a whim. a grind.

but hifi is rarely a need. it has to be something emotional. scratching an itch.

so i think the lesson is that we listen to enjoy and learn, likely before we are actually aware we are shopping. and why the brick and mortar approach is mostly dead is that we don't like to be in a pressure buying mode, we want to be in an experiential mode. so at a friend's home, or at an audio show, or just casually listening at an in-home dealer, is where things are mostly now. you hear or see something that excites you, then the urge to buy kicks in.

Reactions: Bobvin
there is a progression to shopping. in car business marketing we call it (1) pre-funnel, (2) high funnel, (3) mid funnel, and (4) low funnel. and you need to be active with customers in each stage. i get into this because with hifi shoppers it's all about where they find their access to information. how that information is accessed, and who is credible for that information that will drive that low funnel activity.

so answers about how they shop will always jump around depending on where and how they encounter info that triggers their buying urge.

in the car business we were always looking for ways to capture customers in their (1) pre-funnel mode, where they were not shoppers yet. these were the best opportunities. customers who had gone all the way down the funnel were much more challenging.....but more numerous. buying for need, not desire or on a whim. a grind.

but hifi is rarely a need. it has to be something emotional. scratching an itch.

so i think the lesson is that we listen to enjoy and learn, likely before we are actually aware we are shopping. and why the brick and mortar approach is mostly dead is that we don't like to be in a pressure buying mode, we want to be in an experiential mode. so at a friend's home, or at an audio show, or just casually listening at an in-home dealer, is where things are mostly now. you hear or see something that excites you, then the urge to buy kicks in.
Following up on this pre-funnel idea, and mixing cars into the picture, the last invitation event I attended, Ferraris were parked and dramatically lit along the access path. They were priced a bit less than the Chronosonic XVX, Burmester 159s, Clearaudio Statement, etc inside, so obviously a bargain. Take two, they’re small.

The upscale malls in this area often have Euro-Luxury automobiles parked on the floor.

When I was young, a grand piano and pianist might have been parked in the same spot.

The old sale funnel and it is still relevant today, amazing. Personally I go to the old Brick and Mortar also have a couple of In House (home based) dealers that I work with. Once I find something I am really interested in I try to audition them in my home listening space. Hate playing games with returns. I have a dealer I like in Nashville that has sent quite a few items to me for auditions in home and I am proud to say I have ended up buying most of what C has sent me.

The funds I’m willing to allocate to this hobby mean I don’t swim in the deep end of the audiophile pool, so I’m happy to provide some insights as someone with a more modest system.

Once I’ve identified what I’d like to change, I start with user experiences as posted on forums, sometimes PM’ing for additional details. I then head to the manufacturer website and get acquainted with the tech and specs to make sure the piece of gear is suitable for my room/system (and can get serviced relatively easily) and read/watch every review I can find online. If the timing works, I’ll attend our local annual audio show as well. I have a relationship with a couple of dealers who let me borrow equipment so I can listen at home. I’ve also taken a flyer numerous times and bought gear blind and it’s rarely ended in disaster. My system is split equally between new and used gear. Yes, I’ve rotated through pieces, not so much because I didn’t like them, but because my listening skills and tastes continue to evolve. For me, buying used enables me to try a piece of gear without having heard it first, knowing that if I have to sell it, the financial hit isn’t bad. The biggest risk I ever took was purchasing my speakers direct from Spatial Audio in Utah (I’m in Toronto). Since there weren’t any available locally, I bought blind, but to my great relief, they work well in my room. In this case, I went back and forth with the company on which model would be best, which was critical to a successful outcome.

So yes, ideally it’s best to hear gear in my system before buying but my experience has been that with careful research and thought, it’s possible to buy blind and still be happy.

If a piece of gear I am interested in is available locally or even within a few hour drive I will travel to demo it. This would only happen though after having spent an embarrassing amount of time reading everything I can find about it. Even the User Manual..imagine that : )

If a piece of gear I am interested in is Not available within driving distance I will do the same research as above but then will just decide between competing components based on which one has published, credible test bench measurements. If both have those measurements available I will then pick whichever one has the larger number of favorable measurement variables on their score card.

Some of the best demo's I have been were at Dealers who operate out of their own private homes. Its a more personal encounter focused on what you want to see, hear, touch or poke at with a stick compared to the brick and motor places or dare I mention the big box stores.

In terms of buying components from small manufacturers or lesser known, bleeding edge brands, I just don't do it anymore. I've been burned enough times in this hobby doing just that and at considerable expense (too me at least) that I just don't like to gamble anymore on those fringe options.

These days I will only buy from proven brands with a long history of success and a large, happy, owner base.

For gear, I read as much as I can about the component, especially from users. Then request an in-home demo (this does not happen frequently and only when I'm ready to make a purchase). I've worked with two boutique dealers who are willing to accommodate my requests. They are the kind of dealers who actually get to know your tastes and goals.

Speakers, of course, are much more challenging since they aren't practical for an in-home demo. And what is the likelihood that a dealer has all of your gear attached to a speaker you are interested in? When I listened to my current speakers, the dealer tried to approximate my gear in his setup. That gear didn't work well with the speakers and the speakers weren't set up very well. Since I had the previous iteration of the speakers, I was able to hear around these problems. Once they were broken in, I was temporarily tempted to invite the dealer to our home to hear how good they could sound (but he is about 200 miles away and what would be the point).

...I would go to someone's home to listen to gear, sure. I just ask to check the freezer, and if no body parts, we're good to go!

At first blush, I dislike the appointment-only locations, although I 100% understand why they do it. I would probably emulate that model myself in their position, assuming high-end products. I will say, I have appreciated shops that were appointment-based, but had maybe 2-4 hours on a Saturday, for example.

In the bike biz (long, long ago) the people that come in to waste time and pontificate is large and annoying. And they usually buy: nothing.

I have made the 65 mile drive to Buffalo several times to see gear, but I always call re: my target demo. And I buy stuff, so that fosters good feelings and on-going trust.

I am currently in the Polaris Lounge awaiting a flight to Capetown. I hope to hear some gear there while Sweetie is working. After a while, up to Singapore: same deal.

I will try to see gear, but I am very flexible and I understand and respect the dealers' time. It is unlikely I would buy audio in these places for many reasons, but they will have stuff that is difficult for me to see/hear at home.

I have done this all over the planet, and I would rather hear nothing, than waste anyone's time. If I show respect and don't overstay my welcome, they are usually glad to have a chat for a bit, if open and not crowded. I can judge the vibe and see myself in their position. Sometimes I leave them some chocolate from home. People are usually cool if you respect them and act accordingly, in my experience.

How do you shop for new gear? After reading reviews, or visiting shows, how do you narrow your decision process?
I use forums, mags, etc. to learn about new gear. If the gear sounds like something I am interested in I will put it on my list of gear to review/listen to. If I can't listen to it, I will remove it from consideration.

Do you consider “appointment only” shops (in a “brick-n-mortar” shop or someone’s home) a hindrance?
I'm OK with appointment only shops.

Would you visit someone’s home?
Sure why not

Are you willing to travel to hear new kit? If so, how far?
I travel quite a bit for work so I can arrange listening sessions along the way. I have travelled from East to West Coast US.

Do you limit yourself to auditioning components from only big established brands, or are you more inclined to seek out more bespoke offerings of smaller manufacturers?
I tend to buy components that fit the sound I like. If I found two products that I like equally I would probably go with the established brand simply for resale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing