If “There Should Be Tubes Somewhere,” Then Where?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Numerous respected high-end audio industry professionals and audiophiles are of the view that there should be vacuum tubes somewhere in every audio system’s chain of electronics. In which part of the chain are tubes most appropriate?

Should you put some tubes in the phono stage at the front, or in the power amplifier stage in the back, on in the line stage preamplifier in the middle? What are the pros and cons of having tubes in each location?

For those of you who believe in having tubes somewhere in the picture which component have you decided should be a tube component?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hahaha! :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The only tube based electronics in my system is my DAC. Could it be replaced by a SS unit with the same SQ? Two years ago I would have said probably not. Today I would say I don’t think it would matter. But that’s only in my system with my grounding scheme.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I’m with dskip.

But next time can we flip the question? If there has to be 1 solid state device where should that be? I’d be happy to have 100% tubes.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I will get crap for this but I would say the phonostage if you listen to vinyl lp. I know this is the most vulnerable position when it comes to noise, but it just sounds better.

I’m sure a tube line stage is likely the most popular. I still have a Nagra PL-L in my 2 channel home theater and it is great as they only tube component in that system.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
linestage is my vote

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
IMO and in the context of ‘normal’ sensitivity speakers, I would try use valves in a source position (eg dac output / preamp stage) for voltage gain and solid state power amp for current delivery.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMO and in the context of ‘normal’ sensitivity speakers, I would try use valves in a source position (eg dac output / preamp stage) for voltage gain and solid state power amp for current delivery.

+1.

Power amps are the last place I would decide on, as these are very speaker dependent. Some will require tubes, some SS, some which can handle both it will depend on the amp model and the preference. Pre amp will be valve in most cases except where synergy with downstream SS amps demands a SS pre. I also don't have sufficient exposure to Koda.

While Lampi is my favorite dac my second is Neodio origine for digital, and that's SS, not valve. My favorite phonos are valve but I also like some SS and my ying and yang is best serviced at the phono stage level

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
For me, definitely with the power amps and with s.e.t. topology. For source components and preamps I prefer s.s.

I also think they are much better mated with high efficiency systems that have stable impedance.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
My vote goes to first gainstage of a power amplifier.
Although I find tube phonostages with a direct mc-in very interesting.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’m with dskip.

But next time can we flip the question? If there has to be 1 solid state device where should that be? I’d be happy to have 100% tubes.

Same here.
My SS piece of gear is in the kitchen, it's a squeezebox Radio :rolleyes:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Another vote for going with tubes in a linestage... the context of small output here seems to play to traditional tube strengths while challenging their constraints less, though with single ended low watt triode amps this in some measure also then applies. Am tempted to say with horns just go tubes all the way!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Linestage would be my first choice if there were only one place in the system where the signal is seen by a tube as all sources go through the preamp

plus 1.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The FM 155 was better than AR ref 6 in an all tube system. Ultimately the owner (Tzbc) preferred the Ayon conquistador to both

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Soulution 720 pre was better than the Allnic L5000 in an all Allnic system with Avalon compass diamonds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing