If “There Should Be Tubes Somewhere,” Then Where?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Seeing this, it struck me that I've never seen a thread: If "There Should Be Mosfets Somewhere," Then Where?
;-)

Because everyone knows the answer is driver stages :D :p

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The FM 155 was better than AR ref 6 in an all tube system. Ultimately the owner (Tzbc) preferred the Ayon conquistador to both

The Soulution 720 pre was better than the Allnic L5000 in an all Allnic system with Avalon compass diamonds.

Ked. With both those tube preamps, its does not surprise me. To get that tube magic in preamps, you really need to use good ones :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am finding success by matching electronic components (phono, preamp, amps) from the same manufacturer. Because that manufacturer does not use tubes in any of their components, that option is not available to me. I know that some manufacturers design hybrid SS/tube designs and that would be one way to go. In my case, my speaker choices have steered me toward SS, so that requirement drives the choices for rest of the electronic chain. I have not experimented enough with mixing and matching brands to really know if there are advantages to that approach.

I recently heard a system in which the owner is using both a SS preamp and a tube preamp, a SS phono, and tube mono blocks. Switching back and forth between the two preamps revealed that each preamp has its own straights and weaknesses. One combination is SS to SS to tube, the other is SS to tube to tube. I found that which combination sounds better to me seems completely dependent on what attributes I happen to value when listening to a particular recording. If it was classical, I preferred the more dynamic, clean sounding SS preamp. With more intimate, small scale, solo or voice performances, I tended to prefer the tube preamp. This approach seems to appeal to those who want to hear different flavors depending on mood and recordings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Since when did you start referring to Ian as "the owner"

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

for me (And I am all tube system) if I were limited to one tube in the system and I have multiple sources there is 100 % certainty that in my system it would go in the preamp as all source signals get the advantage of seeing that tube . It's fairly straightforward IMHO

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
for me (And I am all tube system) if I were limited to one tube in the system and I have multiple sources there is 100 % certainty that in my system it would go in the preamp as all source signals get the advantage of seeing that tube . It's fairly straightforward IMHO

+1

IME, tubes in the preamp make the biggest difference...and the type of tube, along with the manufacturer..can make an even more profound difference. Which is why I always recommend tube rolling to anyone with a tube preamp...and a tube amp...but the differences with a tube amp are, again imo, less profound.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

you could say the same thing about the amp...

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
For me it's the preamp, though a pure tube amp can have more effect on the sound. My first tube preamp was a Melos SHA-Gold back in my youth; it really opened my eyes and I've had tubes somewhere or everywhere in the chain since.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I believe they should always be placed in someone else's system. ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Ron,

Interesting question and I have had systems with all 3 combinations. I have netted out at the point where I think they are needed everywhere lol. It is somewhat speaker dependent though but I could not countenance using them throughout with my horns.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
best spot for tubes?

"in the attic in a box from back when you had Tenor OTL's."

just forgot to throw them out.....

sorry Ron, could not resist.:p

There are actually several great spots for tubes. They include: museums, Ebay ads, and grandparents' basements. If I am ambushed and forced to have them in a hifi audio chain, it would be in the final stage (the amp) - preferably a hybrid design with helper transistors. That'd theoretically be the least damaging, give hope for having some damping factor, and allow for the entire front end of the chain to be clean and articulate.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I can't imagine your system without, IIRC, those G7 tubes.

EDIT:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Line stage if you use one. I don't use any kind of preamp, so no tubes there.

Next would be DAC output stage.

Finally amplifiers, but only if you have high-efficiency speakers like I do (93dB)

Like SS designs, tube designs are not all equal, so look for designers that eliminate capacitive coupling or install high-end caps, use good iron and know something about power delivery and decoupling. Many tubes designs have little or no power decoupling caps. Not a good thing.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Conventional audio doctrine is tubes are best for small signal amplification. Then again I got great results with a ARC Sp14(Modified by GNS) and the Moscode 402AU(analog and digital).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO the question is too complex, as it implies considerations of value for money and total budget. Usually tube equipment represent better value for money than SS in terms of sound quality, at the expense of convenience.

If optimization of budget is not an issue I prefer to go either with all SS or all tube, preferably of the same brand. And the answer will always be very dependent on speakers and source.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO the question is too complex, as it implies considerations of value for money and total budget. Usually tube equipment represent better value for money than SS in terms of sound quality, at the expense of convenience.

If optimization of budget is not an issue I prefer to go either with all SS or all tube, preferably of the same brand. And the answer will always be very dependent on speakers and source.

Yes, for me it was a practical and a budget issue. I don't need an active gain preamp, a buffered no-gain preamp was sufficient, and for a relatively low amount of money I got one of excellent transparency (Pass B1), which happens to be solid state. If money were not an issue I could perfectly imagine going with solid-state Spectral preamp/amp (love the brand) but then I would also have to go with Spectral/MIT cables, which are its own expense. For me the best solution was a high quality tube amp, also since my speakers are not demanding in terms of load. And I had the opportunity from Goodwin's High End to audition it at home, a must for me when it comes to amplifiers.

So that's how I ended up with tubes in my power amp (Octave RE 320), an amp that I am incredibly thrilled with. I am not dogmatically wedded to a tube power amp, but it just happened to be the best solution for me.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I should add that an Octave HP700 preamp (also tubed, same brand as power amp) is something I may consider at a later time, but it remains to be seen if in my system configuration it would add anything to the already great dynamics and energy, and if it would not subtract from transparency and resolution. If the answer to all this will turn out to be affirmative, then it may well be a go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing