installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
the UL rated 'remodel' 'deep' box is plastic. these are mounted into the 3/4" ply cabinet soffit-baseboard, not attached to a stud. the baseboard is attached to my 6" thick concrete floor.

no one makes an 'audiophile' outlet box......yet. might the plastic or metal box be more resonant? I'd say metal.

You would think the metal box would provide shielding....and I agree it would have potential to be more resonant.
I've tried both with my GTXR's and prefer plastic

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
You would think the metal box would provide shielding....and I agree it would have potential to be more resonant.
I've tried both with my GTXR's and prefer plastic

Have you tried the wall plate? If not, it's worthwhile ime.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
The GTX outlets do not have nearly the same grip as a hospital grade receptacle, but the difference in sound is night and day. The increased grip of hospital grade is not really a good thing as it'll strip the plating off of male plugs. The GTX is designed specifically NOT to damage plated male AC plugs. The GTX also uses copper contacts, which are too soft to hold it's shape, so a stainless steel spring is used to compensate. They could have made this spring as stiff as they wanted, so I assume the retention force is very intentionally calibrated.

The cover is ridiculous, stainless steel with a coating of carbon fiber all around it, and the wall plate is very thick powdercoated billet aluminum. While expensive they hugely overbuilt and are definitely worthwhile.

Also, the Furutech AC receptacle promotion is still on, here are some prices, not including the new NCF which are $250:

GTX-D(R) - $183.75
GTX-D(G) - $140.00
Cover - $83.25
Wall Plate - $120.00

If you get them from me, shipping and burn-in are free. Burn-in on the rhodium plated receptacles will drive you nuts, it takes a long time and has a huge effect on the sound.

Furutech wall sockets and AC outlets are one of the better things I have upgraded in my time, what do they do? Why do they improve your music?

Tried The rhodium jobs but never liked them,.. Maybe I did not burn them in enough.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Furutech wall sockets and AC outlets are one of the better things I have upgraded in my time, what do they do? Why do they improve your music?

Tried The rhodium jobs but never liked them,.. Maybe I did not burn them in enough.
Doesn't matter. If you believe it does, then it does!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Your AC gets transformed into a music signal inside the component so starting out with clean, unrestricted AC power is important and the Furutech parts help with that.

Yeah, the rhodiums need a solid month in a system to open up, before that they will actually go back and forth from dark and closed-in to more normal, which is frustrating. Once they open up they are more neutral and detailed vs the gold plated versions.

And the above is ONLY for the GTX. The FPX is phosphor bronze and with these receptacles you're better off with the gold plated or copper versions, the bronze material is a bit forward in the mids and the gold plating helps compensate, the rhodium version is a bit too forward sounding.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Doesn't matter. If you believe it does, then it does!
It does matter, these things change the sound. I have tried a few and not liked some but liked others. Non of these opinions seemed related to price.

I don't mind when things make my music worse as it proves its doing something, it's a matter of getting the right blend for your ears rather than the most expensive is always best imo.

Still weird, and would love to know why the music changes like it does.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It does matter, these things change the sound. I have tried a few and not liked some but liked others. Non of these opinions seemed related to price.

I don't mind when things make my music worse as it proves its doing something, it's a matter of getting the right blend for your ears rather than the most expensive is always best imo.

Spend away.....

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have the none NFC version and I'd never go back. The difference is very clear. It was even more confirmed when I moved my system into a larger room for a weekend, and back. It would have been worth it to move my GTX-D(R) at the same time had I realized it.

Mine is from DaveC. I could hear good things immediately, and after a day or so it was real nice. It's not subtle. It's kind of disturbing how much it matters.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have the none NFC version and I'd never go back. The difference is very clear. It was even more confirmed when I moved my system into a larger room for a weekend, and back. It would have been worth it to move my GTX-D(R) at the same time had I realized it.

Mine is from DaveC. I could hear good things immediately, and after a day or so it was real nice. It's not subtle. It's kind of disturbing how much it matters.

Yup, and the FI-50 AC and IEC plugs are similar in effect. Sorry... ;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

A lot of what higher end Furutech offers is resonance control, or damping. For example the FI-50 AC plugs have the same "guts" as the model down, which is far cheaper. The only difference is the stainless/carbon body, but if you try the plugs side-by-side it's amazing how much the body of the AC plug influences the sound. It's not subtle at all.

Johnny, try a GTX(R) and let us know what you think. The differences are dramatic enough you'll be convinced in 2 seconds.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Yup, and the FI-50 AC and IEC plugs are similar in effect. Sorry... ;)

Well as they don't break the bank and bring genuine musical change I think there is nothing to be sorry for even though you were joking.

I use the furutech and some oyaide? Not sure that's spelt right.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Does Furutech offer any for NEMA 6-20R (250V/20A)? Are there any "audiophile" receptacles for this rating or just use the Hubble Hospital Grade stuff?

Thx.

-H

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Does Furutech offer any for NEMA 6-20R (250V/20A)? Are there any "audiophile" receptacles for this rating or just use the Hubble Hospital Grade stuff?

Thx.

-H

No, I have not seen 240V US style plugs. They do have the 20 amp IEC plugs, the FI-52, which are rated for 16A/240V use I believe, but no 240V male AC plugs. I gotta say though... there's really no difference besides plug geometry, you can certainly use the 120V plugs and receptacles for 240V, but if someone plugs a 120V appliance into the receptacle it will generally damage or destroy it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I did listen for about 5 minutes this morning after the install was done; then had to get to work for awhile. I have some listening visitors coming in from out of town later this afternoon.

first impressions of the 7 new GTX-D NFC (R) outlets, GTX frames and 104 covers (compared to the previous GTX-D (R) + Oyaide frames and covers); more open, slightly more expansive soundstage. a bit more refined (slightly more fine texture and harmonic complexity). more lively (increased dynamic sparkle). small but noticeable. degrees of good better.

provisional for now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A lot of what higher end Furutech offers is resonance control, or damping. For example the FI-50 AC plugs have the same "guts" as the model down, which is far cheaper. The only difference is the stainless/carbon body, but if you try the plugs side-by-side it's amazing how much the body of the AC plug influences the sound. It's not subtle at all.

Johnny, try a GTX(R) and let us know what you think. The differences are dramatic enough you'll be convinced in 2 seconds.
Maybe one day, but I'd need to hear the differences first and they'd have to be substantial enough before I'd take that plunge.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Maybe one day, but I'd need to hear the differences first and they'd have to be substantial enough before I'd take that plunge.

I'll just send you one, if you don't think it helps send it back, no charge for the demo. I'll even eat the shipping to you.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I did listen for about 5 minutes this morning after the install was done; then had to get to work for awhile. I have some listening visitors coming in from out of town later this afternoon.

first impressions of the 7 new GTX-D NFC (R) outlets, GTX frames and 104 covers (compared to the previous GTX-D (R) + Oyaide frames and covers); more open, slightly more expansive soundstage. a bit more refined (slightly more fine texture and harmonic complexity). more lively (increased dynamic sparkle). small but noticeable. degrees of good better.

provisional for now.

Next month plug your gear into something else and see what you think. Then you'll really know!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Next month plug your gear into something else and see what you think. Then you'll really know!

I still have other of the old outlets in the room I can A/B with. after I get a grip on what is happening and prior to changing those remaining one's; I will switch back and listen.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I had a bunch of Furutech GTX-D(R)s and didn't care for them as much as broken-in Hubbell 20A "Specification Grade" 5362-I solid copper duplex receptacles. Maybe they would have opened up with use, but the GTX-Ds sounded just a touch too analytical and the highs were a little too crystalline in my system by comparison (listening was done on a back to back basis). I will give them one thing, the Furutech's are built like a tank. YMMV of course.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing