installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
The difference between a good hospital grade switch less socket and a top furutech one is night and day. I don't know the law in the states but in the uk you are covered by distance selling so can send anything back bought under those conditions within two weeks for any reason or no reason in fact.

I use a custom plated mains wall socket these days, I used to use the furutech but I still have furutech us sockets in my distribution block, I may swap them out for the GTX jobs at some point.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
No, I have not seen 240V US style plugs. They do have the 20 amp IEC plugs, the FI-52, which are rated for 16A/240V use I believe, but no 240V male AC plugs. I gotta say though... there's really no difference besides plug geometry, you can certainly use the 120V plugs and receptacles for 240V, but if someone plugs a 120V appliance into the receptacle it will generally damage or destroy it.

Thanks, DaveC. To be clear, I was inquiring about the outlet and not the plug. I have a 240V balanced transformer (RGPC) but I think the electrician just put a decent outlet there. Not even sure if it's a hospital grade (I should check to see if the dot is on there).

Cheers.

Sorry for the thread-jack, Mike. Congrats on more awesome stuff! Enjoy. :)

-H

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I'd be curious to hear a comparison of the Furutech vs. Maestro outlets.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

The fact that people feel they change the music in different ways is interesting. I think it's a matter of mix and match till you get the blend that pleases you.

Sockets, ic, power cables and plugs all can be blended to arrive at your destination imo...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had a bunch of Furutech GTX-D(R)s and didn't care for them as much as broken-in Hubbell 20A "Specification Grade" 5362-I solid copper duplex receptacles. Maybe they would have opened up with use, but the GTX-Ds sounded just a touch too analytical and the highs were a little too crystalline in my system by comparison (listening was done on a back to back basis). I will give them one thing, the Furutech's are built like a tank. YMMV of course.

I tend to agree.

I had 11 GTX-D (R) and found that the top end was too bright for my liking. Reading about this, others also have found similar results. What I did to move the problem was to switch the two GTX-D (R) to GTX-D (Au) gold and the top end problem went away

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Most people aren't patient enough to let the rhodium plated parts break in, it takes FOREVER and is torturous. These parts really need to be burned-in outside the system if possible. If not, wait at least 6 weeks of using your system everyday. If you don't use it every day, it'll take a lot longer to burn-in...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I am curious about "electrical burn-in". If there were a manufacturing "surface coating" on the outlet, etc., there might be some merit to this phenomenon. I understand it's a topic for another thread, but burn-in seems to be a very controversial subject. For those interested, please start another thread that could edify me (and others, I'm sure) about different materials and their "burn-in requirements".

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A lot! Around $350 each? Maybe you can get me a deal Amir with all your many contacts. I think the covers are over a $100 do but I will have to check on that!

I doubt if Amir has friends at Furetech.
Smile

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Joan of Arc thought she was loved by the people too. Smile
Edit; I think I meant Marie Antoinette .

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A lot of what higher end Furutech offers is resonance control, or damping. For example the FI-50 AC plugs have the same "guts" as the model down, which is far cheaper. The only difference is the stainless/carbon body, but if you try the plugs side-by-side it's amazing how much the body of the AC plug influences the sound. It's not subtle at all.

Johnny, try a GTX(R) and let us know what you think. The differences are dramatic enough you'll be convinced in 2 seconds.

Dave - Thank you kindly for your most generous offer, and if I were not as terrified of electricity as I am I would take you up on it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Most people aren't patient enough to let the rhodium plated parts break in, it takes FOREVER and is torturous. These parts really need to be burned-in outside the system if possible. If not, wait at least 6 weeks of using your system everyday. If you don't use it every day, it'll take a lot longer to burn-in...

I've had mine in for 3 years

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've had mine in for 3 years

That will do it!

Well, most people don't think the GTX(R) are harsh or bright, but we all have different systems and preferences. There's no doubt a fairly large difference in sound between rhodium and gold plating.

As far as burn-in and it's effects, if you're questioning that you probably think there's no way a receptacle can make a difference either so lets not get into it here. :)

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I replaced 2 Maestro with Furutech GTX-D R. It was quieter, more transparent ... a nice improvement overall.

I was told by a dealer friend that Maestro is basically a hospital grade outlet. Build quality vs Furutech was NO contest!

Well, most people don't think the GTX(R) are harsh or bright, but we all have different systems and preferences. There's no doubt a fairly large difference in sound between rhodium and gold plating.

As far as burn-in and it's effects, if you're questioning that you probably think there's no way a receptacle can make a difference either so lets not get into it here. :)
Yep, just systems and personal preferences ... I don't find GTX(R) harsh or bright.

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us
I replaced 4 of my GTX-D(R) receptacles with the new NCF (Nano Crystal Formula) version in my main reference system after installing Mike's and was very impressed with the improvement. To clarify, the only thing that Furutech did was to add Tourmaline crystal powder to the existing carbon powder in the molded plastic base and cover.

gtx-receptacle-details-the-piezo-effect-ncf.jpg

See my web page for the outlet info. What's interesting about Tourmaline is that it is both Piezoelectric (substance that generates an electric charge when under stress) like the carbon powder, and is uniquely Pyroelectric (substance that generates an electrical charge during a temperature change). The NCF will likely be used in the next generation of Furutech products.

For those looking for further insight into the power systems, check out my white papers Why Power Cables Matter and Poor Man's Dedicated Circuit.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Joe

Do you use the clamps or do you wrap the ac wire around the screws?

I never could get the clamps tight enough and figured that wrapping the wire around the screws gives more contact area....

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us
I always use the clamps. The GTX clamp is designed for increased surface area contact, which I think sounds really good.

gtx-receptacle-details-patented-wire-clamp.jpg

The clamp does not "bite" into the wire significantly. If you use a wire that does not fit into the clamp hole, then I recommend installing spades, but only if you can crimp the spades onto the wire with ultra-high clamping force (no solder) to create a cold-weld bond, such as with a hydraulic crimper.

During assembly, when I install the wires, I first tighten the screws. Then I wait a few minutes as metal always relaxes (loosens) then do final tightening before installing the receptacle in the electrical box. When done properly, the wires will not loosen even after a couple of years.

I only wrap solid core ground wire around the ground screw. In rare cases where I use stranded ground wire, I use a small copper washer with the ground screw to improve the clamp strength/contact area.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Good points but I think there is more contact wrapping around the screws. I always use 12ga ac cable

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing