• No

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • What's a dinosaur?

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
None I'm aware of do , after selecting your drivers , you then measure and pay xtra for the drive units to be matched to your specs if necessary. After delivery the process is repeated going thru dozens to find a match Pr, after assembly, they are tested for matching again , at 1 ,2,4,8,16,32 watts , any deviation in FR IS INSPECTED , final test we used to do was a null test , speakers nose to nose ...

Then there are those unjustified exorbitant markups ....:)

So who did you/do you work for??

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I am lost here. I said that T/S parameters describe very much a driver do I say they tell you everything? No. Straw arguments so repeated border on bad faith. For any designer. Let's suppose want to make aloudspeaker. You have a goal and it starts with drivers.. What does a designer go by? Catalog #? Brand? Reputation or some parameters ? Of course the designer would measure the parameters to see if they are conform to those stated? Right or wrong? Please I will continue in another post.. Watching the game and waiting for both A. Wayne and microstrip ...

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Frantz ,

What a dancer , hilarious , Fred astraire would have been proud to compete .....:)

Frantz speculative Audio products , would have to first study trends and decide where you would like to enter the market , entry or SOTA, direct or thru retailers , blah blah ...

:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz ,

What a dancer , You're hillarious , Fred astraire would have been proud to compete .....:)

You should have given Frantz a serious answer instead of blowing him off with your idea of humor.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Really ,

Frantz has only responded with speculatory opinionated facts while passing every response off as opinion , straw arguments , the irony must have escaped you ...

Often ...:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Really ,

Frantz has only responded with speculatory opinionated facts while passing every response off as opinion , straw arguments , the irony must have escaped you ...

And you have responded with what??

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Given that box speakers have dominated the speaker market in overwhelming numbers for decades, and still do, I'm afraid -- and my apologies in advance for the bluntness of this statement -- that, as stated, the question falls into the category of far too dumb to be taken seriously.

I mean that in the most impersonal way possible.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am lost here. I said that T/S parameters describe very much a driver do I say they tell you everything? No. Straw arguments so repeated border on bad faith. For any designer. Let's suppose want to make aloudspeaker. You have a goal and it starts with drivers.. What does a designer go by? Catalog #? Brand? Reputation or some parameters ? Of course the designer would measure the parameters to see if they are conform to those stated? Right or wrong? Please I will continue in another post.. Watching the game and waiting for both A. Wayne and microstrip ...

Frantz,

We can stop now this ridicule argumentation. Please take no offense but you are trying to transform a technical question where you inadvertently referred to a subject that you seem not to master and are not able to debate without the help of others into a philosophical / logical debate. I see now that all my arguments will suffer from being considered straws, as your use of technical words was meaningless - for you they are just labels.

For all people wanting to know just a little about Thiele/Small parameters please check with Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small.

Do not wait for more posts from me on this subject. And this is not a game, it is supposed to be a enlightening debate. ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Your edgy Mep , do you have a question, best to ask after you have had your Milky ..:)

Tim , back with logic again ... :)

Not edgy, just a truth teller. Some people like the truth and some don't. But whether you like the truth or not, it doesn't change the truth.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Really ,

Is it an opinion that Thiele -Smal parameters are used in speaker design? Do answer. Trying humor and ad hominem doesn' address that point. That is an opinion? Or you are just trying to be funny? If you are interested in a debate we can do it if you are going to try ad hominem .I decline to go there.

I find this interesting as a word play: Facts now can be speculatory and opiniated? Facts???!!???

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

We can stop now this ridicule argumentation. Please take no offense but you are trying to transform a technical question where you inadvertently referred to a subject that you seem not to master and are not able to debate without the help of others into a philosophical / logical debate. I see now that all my arguments will suffer from being considered straws, as your use of technical words was meaningless - for you they are just labels.

For all people wanting to know just a little about Thiele/Small parameters please check with Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small.

Do not wait for more posts from me on this subject. And this is not a game, it is supposed to be a enlightening debate. ;)

Fair enough microstrip. No offense taken. We can leave it at that if you will

I said that D. Wilson must consider the T/S parameters. I also said that T/S describe the behavior of a driver ... Are these false statements? If so let me know why.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good evening, gentlemen. Lets keep the discussion going on the technical merits while leaving any personal comments toward one another out of the thread.

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Given that box speakers have dominated the speaker market in overwhelming numbers for decades, and still do, I'm afraid -- and my apologies in advance for the bluntness of this statement -- that, as stated, the question falls into the category of far too dumb to be taken seriously.

I mean that in the most impersonal way possible.

Tim

I am not sure what question you are referring to. but I imagine the dinosaur was completely dominant immediately preceding it's demise. Certainly that was the case for the horse, a magnificent beast.

The list of products that dominated the market before becoming obsolete is so long and obvious that to list them would be intellectually insulting. It is strange that someone who has criticized audiophile excess as frequently as you does not appreciate this thread

Last edited:

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Is it an opinion that Thiele -Smal parameters are used in speaker design? Do answer. Trying humor and ad hominem doesn' address that point. That is an opinion? Or you are just trying to be funny? If you are interested in a debate we can do it if you are going to try ad hominem .I decline to go there.

I find this interesting as a word play: Facts now can be speculatory and opiniated? Facts???!!???

Facts ,

where are your facts , instead you take everything out of context , this response is typical of that, now we are down to ad hominem responses ....

I still cant get over the Irony ...

Did you back up your WA Statement, exactly, you did not , instead stated your opinion as facts, you stated everyone uses TS when selecting drivers , err ..wrong

You stated it as fact , now this passive aggressive approach, sorry this is not discussion , just more dogma to those oppose to such conjecture ...

Regards ,

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Fair enough microstrip. No offense taken. We can leave it at that if you will

I said that D. Wilson must consider the T/S parameters. I also said that T/S describe the behavior of a driver ... Are these false statements? If so let me know why.

Yes , read back .....

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Frantz,

Bingo ...... :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So you do not have a question nor did you understand my answer ....
Yes, I have question. Who do you work for? And yes, I did understand your answer. You aren't quite as clever as you think you are. :)

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Facts ,

where are your facts , instead you take everything out of context , this response is typical of that, now we are down to ad hominem responses ....

I still cant get over the Irony ...

Did you back up your WA Statement, exactly, you did not , instead stated your opinion as facts, you stated everyone uses TS when selecting drivers , err ..wrong

You stated it as fact , now this passive aggressive approach, sorry this is not discussion , just more dogma to those oppose to such conjecture ...

Regards ,

What do they use in stead of the T/S? Do tell me and I will learn, I think those are universally used in the industry. I know they are used from the LF to the midrange drivers. Are there other more important set of parameters?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing