Is the Measurement Forum the place for objectivists to be attacked by subjectivists?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
And your posts reinforce what Lee is warning against and make me, and likely others, to avoid posting on this forum in the future.

Good job. Mission accomplished Mr. D.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
This isn't a hard-core prison. Anyone should feel free to post if they can add to the quality of the discussion.

Are there any more relevant comments before we close this topic?

Lee

Dynamix

Banned
Feb 24, 2016
Scandinavistan
And your posts reinforce what Lee is warning against and make me, and likely others, to avoid posting on this forum in the future.

Good job. Mission accomplished Mr. D.

As far as I can tell, I haven't broken the rules of this subforum.

And there is no good reason to close this thread, just moderate it. Shouldn't be so hard. But let's see if WBF is open for everyone, or if the mods play favorites.

Dynamix

Banned
Feb 24, 2016
Scandinavistan
This isn't a hard-core prison. Anyone should feel free to post if they can add to the quality of the discussion.

Lee

If they have read and understood the sign on the door, right? If not, you can might as well take it down and make this subforum a free for all where anything goes. But that was never the intention, was it?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If they have read and understood the sign on the door, right? If not, you can might as well take it down and make this subforum a free for all where anything goes. But that was never the intention, was it?

The past is the past. Where we go now is up to the participating members. Do you wish to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

Lee

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
If you are card carrying objectivist / subjectivist ,one of those groups needs to revoke your membership.

Hello Gregadd

Not the way I see it. You can't design a speaker without a healthy dose of both. The measurements and subjective impressions should agree or at least make sense. The whole polarization as I see it is nonsense and a complete waste of time. There is way to much common ground and that is what we should focus on.

Rob:)

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Hello Gregadd

Not the way I see it. You can't design a speaker without a healthy dose of both. The measurements and subjective impressions should agree or at least make sense. The whole polarization as I see it is nonsense and a complete waste of time. There is way to much common ground and that is what we should focus on.

you can in fact design a speaker purely by known parameters using computer modeling i know of a very well respected speaker thats new but was in fact designed this way and many years ago too, just stayed on hard drive until it was dug up and built.. to some acclaim too.

in fact the guy who designed it first heard it along with everyone else at a audio show lol

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
in fact the guy who designed it first heard it along with everyone else at a audio show lol
Yeh that happened to a car speaker I had designed years ago and this dude went ahead and built it:

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Hello Gregadd

Subjective is how you want that particular endeavor to sound. Measurements and Prototyping are how you get it there.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
you can in fact design a speaker purely by known parameters using computer modeling i know of a very well respected speaker thats new but was in fact designed this way and many years ago too, just stayed on hard drive until it was dug up and built.. to some acclaim too.

Hello Spaz

So you mean to tell me that no one at all listened to it They just started building it without a prototype?? Was the one at the show the prototype?? That's nutz:eek: So easy to wire a driver out of phase or make a mistake wiring the crossovers.

I trust my own measurements but only so far I don't have an anechoic chamber to do them properly. Even the guys at JBL listen to the SR prototypes can't imagine not backing up the measurements with a listening session. Especially at a show.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Subjective is how you want that particular endeavor to sound. Measurements and Prototyping are how you get it there.

Of course but the bottom line is how they sound.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Hello Spaz

So you mean to tell me that no one at all listened to it They just started building it without a prototype?? Was the one at the show the prototype?? That's nutz:eek: So easy to wire a driver out of phase or make a mistake wiring the crossovers.

I trust my own measurements but only so far I don't have an anechoic chamber to do them properly. Even the guys at JBL listen to the SR prototypes can't imagine not backing up the measurements with a listening session. Especially at a show.

well someone at the factory might of listened to it to make sure it worked but not the designer. he first heard it at a audio show where it was being unveiled. it was not too different from another speaker in their range but still was a new build, totally new design.

i think you will find this happens more than you think, companies are pushed to get products ready for show launch.

the guy in question did say he was relieved people seemed to like it. i think they did tweak the x-over later but more or less the the speaker was designed ten years ago, sat in a draw and booted out in 5 min to the acclaim of all. it funny because the press go mad about it being a new design but its not. the hifi press are full of BS.

i guess the guy in question knows what he is doing!

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
well someone at the factory might of listened to it to make sure it worked but not the designer. he first heard it at a audio show where it was being unveiled.

Why be so coy? Name names. You are among friends, who will be sure to cross that brand off for future consideration. I think objectivists would all agree.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Why be so coy? Name names. You are among friends, who will be sure to cross that brand off for future consideration. I think objectivists would all agree.

no, it was a private conversation with someone who is too open and honest for their own good, i won't be punishing them for that. audiophiles like to think hifi is all magic and mystery when its not to the people who know what they are doing. its science and engineering.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
no, it was a private conversation with someone who is too open and honest for their own good, i won't be punishing them for that. audiophiles like to think hifi is all magic and mystery when its not to the people who know what they are doing. its science and engineering.

Nice, Spaz ... almost pressed the silly "like" button in response ... but alas I couldn't, so please consider my near press a compliment either way ~

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

The successful busines/salespersons know not to shatter those beliefs.. The prospective customer will fill the blanks... I learned this basic principle of sales in a brief stint back in the days as Sales Engineer.

You are honest and a realist spaz ;)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny

Hello Spaz

Just goes to show you how different corporate cultures can be. I am an Admin over on Lansing Heritage and we have Greg Timbers on the forum from time to time. JBL/Harmon would always have a listening session on prototypes even before they did the blind testing against the competition. And it wouldn't just include the engineering group.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing