MSB Renderer v2 in the house!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Renderer not broken in yet so wait on cables..

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Finally got the system set up properly yesterday. Compared the Renderer to the USB and have to say my initial impressions were, while the renderer was clearly more open and spacious was just a little shrill compared to my USB solution. Elliot was over and kind enough to bring the Gobel Ethernet cable and I changed out my AQ Vodka for the Gobels and all I can say is OMG.

Two things. One is, I'm always amazed that every time I think this DAC can't get any better, MSB introduces something that takes it to another level. Second, count me in as a very very skeptical believer in network cabling making a difference BUT I became a believer yesterday and towards the wee hours of the morning. Absolutely stunning.

My next tweek is that I still have a Core Technologies LPS, with dual rail at 5 and 12v which I will use to power my dedicated switch. Core Technologies is out of business and I almost sold it awhile ago until I realized the price I was being offered was less than the Stillpoint footers on the unit. Its an excellent LPS and look forward to using it.

Funny when I told Vince about my experience, he being interested in how we are all finding our experience with the USB v Renderer, he sent me the following review, which I had not seen before regarding the Gobel USB and Ethernet

http://hifipig.com/gobel-lacorde-statement-usb-and-ethernet-cables/

While the price is a huge difference there is no comparison between the AQ Vodka and the Gobel. A different universe. Yes I believe.

Thanks for the update. So you are running direct from a server (or NAS) to ethernet switch to renderer? May I ask what hardware/software you are you using to serve the renderer?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks for the update. So you are running direct from a server (or NAS) to ethernet switch to renderer? May I ask what hardware/software you are you using to serve the renderer?

My main server is in my office on my network using Roon accessing my library from my Synology NAS to my dedicated network in my listening room using NetGear ProSafe GS108T switch soon to be powered by my Core Technologies Kaia linear power supply using the Gobels Ethernet cable to the Renderer.

My wireless solution for control point use is the EERO mesh Version 2.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Renderer not broken in yet so wait on cables..

The Renderer has been running nonstop for a week.

I’m sure there is more to come but yesterday wasn’t the “first day” of the renderer just doing the final setup of the speakers.

The Renderer has literally been going nonstop for a week.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Good to know on renderer..I use the GS108 also for my audio, plugging into every other port
Right now just have an iFi wall wart. Not convinced about LPS yet. I do use a AQ Niagara 1000 for the low current stuff, Makes a nice difference

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good to know on renderer..I use the GS108 also for my audio, plugging into every other port
Right now just have an iFi wall wart. Not convinced about LPS yet. I do use a AQ Niagara 1000 for the low current stuff, Makes a nice difference

Any special reason to choose the GS108?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I have no idea about the LPS and at this time can’t recommend one. I just happened to have one lying around that I was going to sell that I used to use for my dedicated computer server so I figured if it works I will give it a try.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
My main server is in my office on my network using Roon accessing my library from my Synology NAS to my dedicated network in my listening room using NetGear ProSafe GS108T switch soon to be powered by my Core Technologies Kaia linear power supply using the Gobels Ethernet cable to the Renderer.

My wireless solution for control point use is the EERO mesh Version 2.

Very cool. Thanks! Let us know if the LPS helps the switch.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Gentelmen,
If your files are stored in the server, go direct to the renderer. Forget the switch and you'll see finally what the renderer is capable of. Still waiting for mine.
My server is also connected direct to the MSB Reference Transport.
Regards.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Gentelmen,
If your files are stored in the server, go direct to the renderer. Forget the switch and you'll see finally what the renderer is capable of. Still waiting for mine.
My server is also connected direct to the MSB Reference Transport.
Regards.

You know, I didn't even think of that. Thanks great idea! I actually have an old CAPS lying around. Definitely worth comparing!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I tried the EMO isolator...everything lost focus....

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I tried the EMO isolator...everything lost focus....

Funny you mention it. Mine literally came last night. Haven't installed it. Spoke to Oliver from Gobels (he is at Munich now) as I am using his Ethernet cable and he said NOT TO put in that filter. Interesting.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
However, yes it has worked:

1.- Install an LPS for the Switch
2.- Connect Free Port in Switch to an Entreq Box with cable RJ45 Entreq
3.- Connect the Neutral (outside of the switch's power connector) to the Ground of the Electrical Network

And of course replace my NAS Synology with a Server of low noise and double port RJ 45 as it is my Melco

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The guys at UpTone Audio tested it and it was one of the least noisy switches

Thanks - just ordered one to replace my D-Link!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
However, if it has worked:

1.- Install an LPS for the Switch
2.- Connect Free Port in Switch to an Entreq Box with cable RJ45 Entreq
3.- Connect the Neutral (outside of the switch's power connector) to the Ground of the Electrical Network

And of course replace my NAS Synology with a Server of low noise and double port RJ 45 as it is my Melco

Which Entreq Box are you using with the RJ45. I see many different boxes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing