Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hahaha! :) Thank you, gentlemen!

LL21 - have you heard an MSB DAC?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thus the page turns in the chapters of audio history...

IMHO it turns the page in the chapters of Ron's audio history. Fortunately many brave people, including you, already turned the chapters of audio history sometime ago ... :)

But it is great to have Ron among us!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Hello fellow WBF members. I decided to subscribe to this thread — the first digital thread to which I have ever subscribed!

I hope the world is still rotating...

Now we need to convince you that SS can outperform tubes (on any speaker)...

Jokes aside all forms of audio equipment has its merits.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Too much drama, I can't take it. All these are signs of aging, when one can no longer deal with all the hassles of tubes and analog :)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hello fellow WBF members. I decided to subscribe to this thread — the first digital thread to which I have ever subscribed!

Well, it's a start ;)

Reactions: Legolas

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Too much drama, I can't take it. All these are signs of aging, when one can no longer deal with all the hassles of tubes and analog :)

You just described me to a T!!

Once upon a time I was as big a vinyl fanatic as there was. For the most part a tube guy.

After listening to more modern SS especially the CH M1 out with tubes. Especially in S FL a real pain.

I made a compromise to “digital” 8 years ago mostly for convenience. Now with my MSB Select II there is no compromise and I have the convenience.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So am I the bastard child in that I am an all format snob, like them all. Tubes,SS.analog,digital,cones,panels. The only thing I have not heard that wowed me yet is horns, but I am sure there are some out there. if it sounds good, it sounds good and the rest does not matter. The MSB product line is badd azz.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I really appreciate MikeL always reaching for the new frontier and share his experience with us. This MSB dac included.

Kind regards,
Tang

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Qs for Aurender W20 music server owners:

Is anyone on this thread pairing the Aurender W20 music server with their Select II DAC? After owning the W20 for nearly five years, I finally was able to repair the USB 2.0 output, which had been broken previously. While I'm really happy to finally be able to play native DSD 64x/128x (as well as fully unfold MQA) files for playback, the output of the W20 seems to be unstable. My Select II DAC's display has been randomly cycling through a bunch of nonsensical input data descriptions:

While the W20 is on standby after being powered on, with no files loaded into the SSD for playback:
0 bits 279kHz
8 bits 279kHz
24 bits 279kHz

While the W20 is playing DSD 128x files via the USB 2.0 input:
128x DSD (normal, and expected)
24 bits 352kHz (very odd)
64x DSD (incorrect, as it's only half of the actual source material)
8 bits 352kHz (abnormal)

Has anyone experienced any of the same problems with their W20 + Select II DAC combo?
Wondering whether I will now need to send my W20 back to Aurender's HQs in Korea for repairs, which will entail great costs...

Best Regards,
John

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
John,
Are you sure that the Select II or its usb module are normal?
How about the usb cable? I had seen instances of faulty/inadequate usb cables causing similar locking problrms.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Given the problems I’ve been having with my Aurender, I would be willing to wager that my Select II’s input modules are not defective. Also, my Curious 0.8m USB cable is brand-new, so I don’t think there’s a problem with it either. I had been experiencing the same instability issues with a generic cheapo computer USB cable prior to receiving my Curious cable two weeks ago.

But good point - I’ll borrow another native DSD and MQA capable DAC to connect it with my Aurender W20 to see whether the problems can be replicated.

Gotta do this anyway, before sending my unit to Aurender Korea HQ, a very costly and time-consuming exercise.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Given the problems I’ve been having with my Aurender, I would be willing to wager that my Select II’s input modules are not defective. Also, my Curious 0.8m USB cable is brand-new, so I don’t think there’s a problem with it either. I had been experiencing the same instability issues with a generic cheapo computer USB cable prior to receiving my Curious cable two weeks ago.
But good point - I’ll borrow another native DSD and MQA capable DAC to connect it with my Aurender W20 to see whether the problems can be replicated.
Gotta do this anyway, before sending my unit to Aurender Korea HQ, a very costly and time-consuming exercise.

Hello John,
Despite that your Curious USB cable is brand new, please borrow a good usb cable of another brand for confirmation too.
I had witnessed some usb cables unable to conduct high rez signal due to bandwith or grounding or impedance issues.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as a data point; although i'm not currently using my USB interface (into the SGM 2015 server) with the MSB Select II (i'm using the Ethernet Renderer), in the past i've used both the Curious USB and the Light Harmonic Light Speed USB, preferring the Curious slightly with a bit more meat on the bones.

i tried the Phasure Lush but could not get it to lock.

when i contacted Phasure they could not tell me why their USB did not work.

my point being that there could be any number of reasons why a particular USB cable does not work. Emile and Ed from SGM experienced issues with various USB cables (with various dacs) where the geometry was not 100% within the USB spec (whatever that means).

and btw i still have my Lush and Light Speed USB's if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
as a data point; although i'm not currently using my USB interface (into the SGM 2015 server) with the MSB Select II (i'm using the Ethernet Renderer), in the past i've used both the Curious USB and the Light Harmonic Light Speed USB, preferring the Curious slightly with a bit more meat on the bones.
(...)

How are connecting the Ethernet Renderer to the SGM 2015? Does it go through a router?

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Microstrip and Mike,
If I may join you, mine is directly connected, Server to MSB Renderer. No switch nor router in between. It makes a uge difference, for the better of course.
Best Regrads.
Armsan

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
How are ur files connected?
How do u play cd's? What software?

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
How are ur files connected?
How do u play cd's? What software?[/QUOTE
Kingsrule, my files are stored in the server SSDs. Software can be Roon or Foobar or even Upplay with Minimserver. Alwais with a DHCP server. I hope I can run Roon without the DHCP server with the new MSB firmware but not tried it yet. The MSB Transport play the CDs. Cheers. Armsan

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I still don't understand how u can use Roon without running your stuff on a network. That would entail a switch, yes? Router?
How do u update?
How big are your ssd's? Or what size is your collection?
MSB renderer 2 ?
What devices do u use as Roon end points?

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
DHCP Server, serving IP address at JCAT Net Femto NIC to MSB Renderer V2. No router, no switch. motherboard NIC to home network. 3 Terabytes total. About 40.000 files. MSB Transport and Renderer as Roon endpoints. My SQ preference: Upplay and Minimserver locally controlled without wireless app.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing