My First HiFi Show Experience

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I visited the Capital AudioFest show this past Saturday and Sunday. It was my first high-end show, and it was fun and informative. My overwhelming impression was that most exhibitors are genuine, smart, informed, and passionate believers in their products. I didn't meet anyone who seemed to be a "snake-oil salesman" regardless of what high-end audio's detractors claim. I also didn't face arrogance or impatience from people who clearly knew I was not about to drop $100k in the next ten minutes. And Michael Fremer even took time to advise me on properly setting up a Hana ML cartridge on a Rega tonearm when I bumped into him in one of the rooms!
The thing that I found most frustrating, though, was the volume at which most systems were demo'd. I certainly don't typically play my system that loudly, and - to me - the effect was that the differences between most systems became blurred rather than clearer. Yes, it's nice to know that a system can deliver slam, but I was interested in hearing nuance, and I also wanted to hear what components sounded like at my normal listening levels.
I get that most rooms were small, bordered by other rooms playing music, and many had a dozen or even more people in them at a time, but I must admit that I got to the point that I no longer wanted to wander into rooms. Yes, representatives always agreed to turn the volume down when I asked, but it takes a while to recalibrate your ears and brain, and you always have to go through that little internal process of evaluating whether your interests align with those others present. The good news is that countless other attendees whispered thanks to me when I asked for the volume to be decreased.
I respect the challenges exhibitors face in a hotel environment, but there has to be a better way.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
I visited the Capital AudioFest show this past Saturday and Sunday. It was my first high-end show, and it was fun and informative. My overwhelming impression was that most exhibitors are genuine, smart, informed, and passionate believers in their products. I didn't meet anyone who seemed to be a "snake-oil salesman" regardless of what high-end audio's detractors claim. I also didn't face arrogance or impatience from people who clearly knew I was not about to drop $100k in the next ten minutes. And Michael Fremer even took time to advise me on properly setting up a Hana ML cartridge on a Rega tonearm when I bumped into him in one of the rooms!
The thing that I found most frustrating, though, was the volume at which most systems were demo'd. I certainly don't typically play my system that loudly, and - to me - the effect was that the differences between most systems became blurred rather than clearer. Yes, it's nice to know that a system can deliver slam, but I was interested in hearing nuance, and I also wanted to hear what components sounded like at my normal listening levels.
I get that most rooms were small, bordered by other rooms playing music, and many had a dozen or even more people in them at a time, but I must admit that I got to the point that I no longer wanted to wander into rooms. Yes, representatives always agreed to turn the volume down when I asked, but it takes a while to recalibrate your ears and brain, and you always have to go through that little internal process of evaluating whether your interests align with those others present. The good news is that countless other attendees whispered thanks to me when I asked for the volume to be decreased.
I respect the challenges exhibitors face in a hotel environment, but there has to be a better way.
I hadn’t been to an audio show in quite some time so I went to the recent Audio Advice show in Raleigh. Without exception, no matter what equipment was being demonstrated, the two characteristics being promoted were how much bass was produced and how loud could it play. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I hadn’t been to an audio show in quite some time so I went to the recent Audio Advice show in Raleigh. Without exception, no matter what equipment was being demonstrated, the two characteristics being promoted were how much bass was produced and how loud could it play. Not my cup of tea.

Quantity over quality. I have not been to a show in a while but I used to go around with my records of different types of music and then ask the exhibitor to change the volume to reflect the listening perspective captured on the recording and the type of music. The results of such comparisons can be very revealing. Not everyone was willing to do the demonstration. I commend those exhibitors who agree to play requests.

Reactions: Mcsnare

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My first show was in 1974 in Milan,i was 14
I temember was Jbl 2450 with ML 3,Tannoy Buckingham,ARC with Magneplanar,RTR speaker,Phase Linear ,ampli and speaker and Klipshorn
From there i started to dream and don’t sleep in the night

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I much respect Audio Show's, but it's difficult to (almost) impossible to really understand synergies, there is always accompanying noise, the room is too busy, too load as rightly said,
it's more of a highly respected "fashion show".

Reactions: Mcsnare

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing