New Alexx?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
IMO its the woofers/size , larger woofers give in general a lower resonance freq , bigger soundstage / scale /weight to the performance.
If you would couple a large woofer( 12 /13 inch ) to the 7 inch inch mid of the alexia instead of the 8 and 10 inch you get a lot of the goodies of the alexx
IMO thats also part of the reason magico is in general a bit light in the bass region , they use multiple smaller woofers instead of a large one.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
IMO its the woofers/size , larger woofers give in general a lower resonance freq , bigger soundstage / scale /weight to the performance.
If you would couple a large woofer( 12 /13 inch ) to the 7 inch inch mid of the alexia instead of the 8 and 10 inch you get a lot of the goodies of the alexx
IMO thats also part of the reason magico is in general a bit light in the bass region , they use multiple smaller woofers instead of a large one.

Magico? Light in the bass? Having heard the Q7 wallop like a pack of dinosaurs in the room and the S7 doing its impersonation of a large subwoofer, I beg to differ... Likely amp dependent.

Another speaker that goes down as low as one would wish but that requires extremely powerful amplifier (=>400 W/ch) and that uses multiple relatively small drivers: Revel Salon 2 ... I am not sure about your theory ...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Another speaker that goes down as low as one would wish but that requires extremely powerful amplifier (=>400 W/ch) and that uses multiple relatively small drivers: Revel Salon 2 ... I am not sure about your theory ...

That's for sure!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
just confirmed my attendance - I'll post some thoughts on the the new big boys end of the week :)

fantastic...enjoy...look forward to reading your thoughts.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I had the chance to hear the new Alexx yesterday at Dallas Audio Concepts. Peter McGrath was on hand for the premier of the speaker playing CDs and some of his own recordings from his hard file over USB. The system consisted of the new D'Agostino Momentum mono amps, D'Agostino pre-amp, MSB Analog DAC, and ARC CD-9 as a transport. I was extremely impressed with the seamless presentation of the speaker. Bass reproduction was extraordinary! Mid-range was very realistic sounding. Soundstage was presented wide and deep. The Alexx is more of a mini XLF than the Alexia. One final note: Peter McGrath recordings are exceptional; some of the best I've heard. He played a recent recording he made of Emmanual Ax playing Beethoven's "Appassionata" sonata. Several of us commented that it was "fool you real". Beautiful!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Had the opportunity to hear the new Alexx for the first time at the Definitive VIP event last night. The first thing that caught my eye was the appearance. It looks like a miniature XLF. They were paired with Dan D'Agostino's new monoblocs and Momentum Pre. Music source was from Roon and ?? going into the Merging NADAC. Peter McGrath was playing DJ.
Sonically, the first thing that jumped out at me was how much more body and weight that the instruments and singers had compared to the Alexias. I don't know how much of this is because of the new amps, but I am familiar with the source/pre/DAC and cables. Images were lifelike and to scale. I was sitting off to the right slightly for most of the demo, but when I sat in the sweet spot, nothing really changed, which gives me the impression that off-axis response is better.
Speakers were ported to the rear with the rear port open? Peter told me that gave the speaker the best listening response. I should would have loved to measure it. Speakers sitting that close to the wall with a rear port would tend to be boomy and not very smooth in the low end from my experience. The listening material again, was not familiar to me, so I would need an extended listening time before I plunked down $109k. Seems the XLF had gone up another $20k as well at $220k/pair.

View attachment 26097

..I'm sure these are great speakers but how can Wilson justify an increase of over 20% in a matter of months? Of course they aren't unique here as just about every high end mfr is in this mode. I think it sucks..

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
..I'm sure these are great speakers but how can Wilson justify an increase of over 20% in a matter of months? Of course they aren't unique here as just about every high end mfr is in this mode. I think it sucks..

According to my dealer the Alexx was never going to be under $100k.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

They set prices based on FED's monetary policy, which spills over in asset price inflation. Besides, why would they have to justify it in the first place?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Had the opportunity to hear the new Alexx for the first time at the Definitive VIP event last night. The first thing that caught my eye was the appearance. It looks like a miniature XLF. They were paired with Dan D'Agostino's new monoblocs and Momentum Pre. Music source was from Roon and ?? going into the Merging NADAC. Peter McGrath was playing DJ.
Sonically, the first thing that jumped out at me was how much more body and weight that the instruments and singers had compared to the Alexias. I don't know how much of this is because of the new amps, but I am familiar with the source/pre/DAC and cables. Images were lifelike and to scale. I was sitting off to the right slightly for most of the demo, but when I sat in the sweet spot, nothing really changed, which gives me the impression that off-axis response is better.
Speakers were ported to the rear with the rear port open? Peter told me that gave the speaker the best listening response. I should would have loved to measure it. Speakers sitting that close to the wall with a rear port would tend to be boomy and not very smooth in the low end from my experience. The listening material again, was not familiar to me, so I would need an extended listening time before I plunked down $109k. Seems the XLF had gone up another $20k as well at $220k/pair.

View attachment 26097

Having studied the photos of a lot of set ups of big Wilsons going all the way back to the original X1 (including Conrad Johnson's inhouse setup), i have to say that a lot of them show the X1s in corners (and those were rear facing). In fact, i think some Wilson people liked the original rear facing port more than the X2 front facing...the XLF's front/back setup is interesting as i have yet to see a set up which fired front. no doubt, they exist but in the last 10 setups i have seen (in person or in photos), i have not seen one yet that fired forward.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
They set prices based on FED's monetary policy, which spills over in asset price inflation. Besides, why would they have to justify it in the first place?

..so you're ok with that?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Easy- because they can.

The X2/XLF is getting long in the tooth, so my guess is Alexia owners are doing this instead and considering it a "deal."

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
..so you're ok with that?

We live in a world of $50K speaker cables. Apparently, part of the joys of being an audiophile is taking delight in getting royally shafted. Pricing is completely detached from cost of goods, and strictly based on what the market can bear (which is quite a bit apparently). These are not providers of essential goods and services, gouging their desparate buyers (like say $100K cancer treatment drugs), so I'm perfectly fine with it.

Now, would I personally buy from high-end manufacturers that I feel are playing their clients for suckers with too much cash on hand (not saying Wilson is - don't know them well enough)? Hell no. This is why I moved away from MSB, and have become a loyal PS audio customer.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Axpona has come and gone already?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
AXPONA 2016 is from Friday April 15th through Sunday April 17th.

Ahh, so the tagline "Hear the system that captivated Axpona" is purely hopeful marketing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing