New Diablo 333

Please let us know if you upgrade to the Commander and what your observations are. You and I both have the Pandora/Mephisto. From speaking with Rune Skov and few others, done incrementally Apex/Commander. The Commander will make a bigger impact vs Pandora/Apex. I tried the Essence pre with the Mephisto, the Pandora is a much better combination...

I am astounded as to how many people leave the Mephisto in High Bias. If listening below 46 (pandora) medium bias is giving you all the Class A you need. Good if your cold. I used to use the Green Bias cable. This will show you where each bias changes. Medium/High...

I imagine that you're absolutely right wrt to your comments regarding upgrade of the Pandora to Commander vs Mephisto to Apex. I've no plans to change to Apex. I'll certainly post some comments when I change to Commander, but as mentioned above - it's not an imminent upgrade. I actually want to change my speakers first, then the pre as I've heard that the Commander is a big step forward from the Pandora (which I think sounds pretty amazing to me).

I don't think I've ever been anywhere near 46 on my Pandora - usually 28-35 depending on input, so your point about full bias is really interesting. I'm going to have to admit to being 'one of those people' and leaving the amp in high. That said, I'm off to go and find my green bias cable as I've never used it. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: John T
Redwick, have you got either of the modules installed in the 333? I had the PS2 phono in my 300 and then transplanted it into my Essence pre. The newer phono is supposed to be quite good isn't it? I see that it has xlr connectors, and also the dip switches are external - a great idea.

I imagine that you're absolutely right wrt to your comments regarding upgrade of the Pandora to Commander vs Mephisto to Apex. I've no plans to change to Apex. I'll certainly post some comments when I change to Commander, but as mentioned above - it's not an imminent upgrade. I actually want to change my speakers first, then the pre as I've heard that the Commander is a big step forward from the Pandora (which I think sounds pretty amazing to me).

I don't think I've ever been anywhere near 46 on my Pandora - usually 28-35 depending on input, so your point about full bias is really interesting. I'm going to have to admit to being 'one of those people' and leaving the amp in high. That said, I'm off to go and find my green bias cable as I've never used it. Thanks for the tip.
I'm typically 30-40 on the volume. Large room. All though as I peck Sonny Stitt And Company is at 43. If you listen 28-35 medium Bias is giving you all the Class A that is demanded. Seldom do I go into High Bias. You will see exactly what I am referencing when you hook up the Green Bias cable...As you, the Commander is on the wish list...BTW I also think the Pandora sounds amazing with the Mephisto...

Reactions: Corinthian
Keep in mind the gain on the Pandora is perfectly matched with the Mephisto...

I believe all Gryphon preamps have 18 dB gain.

I believe all Gryphon preamps have 18 dB gain.
They are, as well as the Commander. I should have specified the Pandora was made to pair with the Mephisto...

Are there any 333 owners here who are willing to share their experience?

Last edited:
They are, as well as the Commander. I should have specified the Pandora was made to pair with the Mephisto...
Yes that is probably so. I remember a comment from the owner of Suncoast Audio, who said that when comparing the Pre and power Essence combo with the Pre Essence + Mephisto, perhaps he preferred the first (except for the bass control), now when you added the Pandora to the Mephisto, it became the comparison ended.

Yes that is probably so. I remember a comment from the owner of Suncoast Audio, who said that when comparing the Pre and power Essence combo with the Pre Essence + Mephisto, perhaps he preferred the first (except for the bass control), now when you added the Pandora to the Mephisto, it became the comparison ended.
When I now think back, after buying the Mephisto. I demoed some different preamplifiers thinking the Pandora is old and has been around for a long time. Everything sounded good with the Mephisto, but I felt like something was missing. When I spoke with Rune he was adamant about me pairing the Pandora with the Mephisto. He was very specific without any waffling saying the Pandora is meant for the Mephisto. Happy I listened to his input...Someday Would love to upgrade to Apex/Commander...Crazy obsession...

I am happy to now report that after further extensive listening I have decided to keep the 333 and part-ex the 300. The 333 is an astonishing amplifier but it needs to be warmed up and it needs some break in. At least 50 hours. And I think it will get better once it has done more than 100. The manual says that 45 minutes are necessary after switch on too before the amp is ready for serious listening.

The 333 is on another level when compared to the 300. The dynamics and bass are something else. Tracks that I knew sounded completely different through the 333. The soundstage is wider, higher and deeper. With the 300 you are sitting in the stalls. With the 333 you are standing next to the conductor. The 333 is a huge step up in transparency compared to the 300 too. The 300 was a great amplifier but anyone thinking about upgrading must listen to the 333 (funds permitting). I also conducted my audition with the as supplied cheap mains lead as I haven't converted my custom one and fitted a 20 amp IEC. Operationally it's better than the 300 but it's an extra 12kg. As I've mentioned before I dislike the spiked feet so my dealer is investigating alternatives as they could be swapped out. It doesn't get that hot either. The fan is mentioned but you can only hear it spinning when the amp is switched on. Otherwise silence. The remote control is also much better than the 300.

I have not tested the DAC or phono stage.

I would recommend a separate mains spur and I'd avoid using any type of power conditioner.

Last edited:
I am happy to now report that after further extensive listening I have decided to keep the 333 and part-ex the 300. The 333 is an astonishing amplifier but it needs to be warmed up and it needs some break in. At least 50 hours. And I think it will get better once it has done more than 100. The manual says that 45 minutes are necessary after switch on too before the amp is ready for serious listening.

The 333 is on another level when compared to the 300. The dynamics and bass are something else. Tracks that I knew sounded completely different through the 333. The soundstage is wider, higher and deeper. With the 300 you are sitting in the stalls. With the 333 you are standing next to the conductor. The 333 has a huge step up in transparency compared to the 300 too. The 300 was a great amplifier but anyone thinking about upgrading must listen to the 333 (funds permitting). I also conducted my audition with the as supplied cheap mains lead as I haven't converted my custom one and fitted a 20 amp IEC. Operationally it's better than the 300 but it's an extra 12kg. As I've mentioned before I dislike the spiked feet so my dealer is investigating alternatives as they could be swapped out. It doesn't get that hot either. The fan is mentioned but you can only hear it spinning when the amp is switched on. Otherwise silence. The remote control is also much better than the 300.

I have not tested the DAC or phono stage.

I would recommend a separate mains spur and I'd avoid using any type of power conditioner.
I thought the 333 would not need a fan unless the DAC and phono module are installed?

Do you still find the D300’s midrange warmer than the 333?

The fan can be clearly heard when you first switch on but that may only be part of it’s boot procedure.

I think it does have most of the warmth of the 300 but it has clearly been voiced differently. Again with time it may approach the 300 but it has so much else to offer. I would describe it as more tonally accurate. An eight year old 300 is almost like a revved up valve amp but 333, in my system, can do things that the 300 can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasse

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing