Next speaker short list - opinions wanted!!!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Howdy folks, I'm investigating my next speaker purchase (funds allowing) and would love to get some folks' opinions if you've heard any of the speakers below. If you have direct comparisons, all the better. Thanks in advance!!

TAD CR1
Magico S5 Mk II
Evolution Acoustics MM2
TAD M-1
Rockport Avior
Magico Q3
Magnepan MG20.7
MBL 101E
Vivid Audio Giya G3

Almost forgot - I have 2: JL Audio F113s to augment any speakers above.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, wildly different choices, it's almost impossible to recommend something!

I believe you have a local dealer for Evolution, no? I'd urge you to check the MM2 out, specially with the EXACT module, if you value a warm, natural tone (and if I had to guess, you do, given you own the Aqua!)
MM2 has active bass, good to 20Hz, so the subs might end up redundant!

cheers,
Alex

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks Alex, the MMTwo is high on my list and I do like a slightly warm but detailed and big sound. The Three and EXACT would have to wait, and I'd have to get the speaker used. Also, I don't think there is a dealer near me in central Texas, if there was or if someone had a pair I could hear that would be great. I should have added that I think any of these speakers will do fine in my well treated (mostly diffusion) room that is ~17 x ~19 x 9.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They're all good speakers. Pick the most efficient and have fun with amplifiers.

I heard the EA MM2 in a local setup last year, and it was quite a nice speaker being driven by vintage Harman Kardon Citation push pull amp (rebuilt and updated).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Out of those, I have only heard the Magico S5 MK 2. Since I am enjoying them at this moment, I have recommend them. :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Out of those, I have only heard the Magico S5 MK 2. Since I am enjoying them at this moment, I have recommend them. :)

Thanks Bud. Can I ask - before you bought them, what else was in the running?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Half a year later and I finally ended up with a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2s. They are exceptional and beautiful. Among the many speakers I have heard including TAD, EA, Wilson, YG, Magico, Rockport and others they are IMO the best mix of neutrality, speed and most important - musicality. Break - in in process...

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Congrats on your choice sbo6! They are terrific speakers. Though the only thing that matters is that they put a smile on your face & float your boat, and on that account it sounds like they tick all the boxes ;).

Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing