Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
FWIW, I have a couple of comments to make:

1) The site's styling and presentation is just bland: basic table presentation; square boxes; unusual colors; not enough contrast, especially between thread titles and text
2) Hard to follow threads and conversations, because of styling issues
3) Overall, not as inviting as the old one, despite its problems

Suggestions:

1) Each thread title should be in bold typeface, to stand out; different color too
2) Spacing between posts in Activity Stream, to separate them from each other
3) Other colors that accentuate contrast, even a textured backsplash
4) Different, rounder fonts
5) Overall, add a lot more pizzazz - A LOT

+1

All really good points ack

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I still can't edit my posts and my moniker doesn't reflect industry affiliation.

I have to agree with ack the backgrounds and layouts are somewhat counterintuitive and complicate navigation, maybe it's something we'll get used to in time but right now it's problematic for me.

david
I have found your personal permissions, somehow it got buried after vBulletin move. The security on th enew software is more robust, so it must have set your to alost no options or services for some bizarre reason. Try it now, should be good now. Ypu have yes to everything except mods.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
CAN YOU LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE LESS PERMISSIONS?

In the import from vBulletin some odd things have occured with some member permissions, resulting in lost member status (Industry Expert, for example) and no edit options to posts etc. Members in fact now have more options and facilities to add images, style text and order folders. Once we get the odd permission glitch sorted, it should be all good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Latest activity is now perfect, thanks!
All it needs now is Ked getting an avatar - too many people using the colored B !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Our long time down yesterday as stated was to move the live forum to the ROOT directory and to hide the old VBulletin and XENMASTER forums such that we could finally after 8 weeks finish our SEO data as well as correcting the Google search problem. Now when you use Google to search Whats Best Forum you land on the home page of the live site which we couldn't do 2 days ago

Steve Williams

Suggestions:

1) Each thread title should be in bold typeface, to stand out; different color too
2) Spacing between posts in Activity Stream, to separate them from each other
3) Other colors that accentuate contrast, even a textured backsplash
4) Different, rounder fonts
5) Overall, add a lot more pizzazz - A LOT

there are 8 different font styles included. Are you saying you desire more font styles

We have no desire to add so many different colors, styles , fonts, combinations etc because if you think the forum is difficult to follow the hodge podge created iwith everything you want would cause IMO nothing but sore eyes

These colors and color combinations were selected because they are the easiest on the eyes

There are also color assortments that can be selected from the Text Color button which is there at the top of the post box

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Re: View Count

If you're if you choose "What's New" from the top most menu ====>>
Then choose "New Posts" you do see View Count

View attachment 44185

However, if you take this path:

Forums ===>

Starting in the VINYL FORUM

View attachment 44180

Click on "Calibration Devices" ====>>

This shows the threads in that sub-forum. This is where View Count is missing.

View attachment 44181

Then pick a thread: Click on "stylus force gauge" thread ======>>

No View Count here either.

View attachment 44183

VIEW COUNT IS NOT SHOWN anywhere on the navigation path outlined above.

(unless I'm not seeing it, which is possible.)

I can set a count in the sub forum section BUT it looks like the count won't then be added to the total count for the Vinyl forum. Not sure if that is a good idea? See the panel here where I can click count in the sub section (or not).
sub-forum.jpg

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Thread Order
You can view any thread by newest or oldest by clicking FILTER top right of a thread, and select oldest first etc.
Default is newest post added first. Unless selected as a sticky thread.

Steve Williams

Thread Order
You can view any thread by newest or oldest by clicking FILTER top right of a thread, and select oldest first etc.

Problem solved here Tima

What I am finding is that many (if not most of the suggestions) are already available as changing the chronological order of reading the posts

I encourage members to look at the new format and explore each button as to its function as almost certainly the answers to your questions will become evident

bear in mind that Xenforo was created by 2 former VBulletin creators so even though things look different, if you explore you will find answers to your questions

Hopefully in the next day or 2 we will make operational the enhanced search add on which we purchased. One thing we can all agree on ws the the search function in VBulletin was terrible. We promised to make that better. Personally I have had no problems with the included Search option but when this add on is installed I expect things to be even better

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's going to be the difference in the search Steve?

Will we be allowed to search for words three letters?

Steve Williams

I can set a count in the sub forum section BUT it looks like the count won't then be added to the total count for the Vinyl forum. Not sure if that is a good idea? See the panel here where I can click count in the sub section (or not).
View attachment 44188

I would include those 2 options for the post count for each member

Have all of you discovered that if you click the small chevron under your avatar, your personal stats are made visible

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So yesterday the site was not available to me at all????

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Problem solved here Tima

What I am finding is that many (if not most of the suggestions) are already available as changing the chronological order of reading the posts

I encourage members to look at the new format and explore each button as to its function as almost certainly the answers to your questions will become evident

bear in mind that Xenforo was created by 2 former VBulletin creators so even though things look different, if you explore you will find answers to your questions

Hopefully in the next day or 2 we will make operational the enhanced search add on which we purchased. One thing we can all agree on ws the the search function in VBulletin was terrible. We promised to make that better. Personally I have had no problems with the included Search option but when this add on is installed I expect things to be even better

You may be replying to someone else's item.

Do you have any comment on 1) the PRIVACY issue I've mentioned twice? 2) the lack of VIEW COUNT mentioned twice. Those items are not about post ordering or search.

Hunting and pecking for prior feature equivalents is one way to learn.

Did the former VBulletin developers create any documentation, such as:
Old Board funtion ABC = New Board equivalent function XYZ? If so that might make the transition easier for people. (Many developers create documentation only after its absence becomes painful.) Hopefully your developers are regularly reading this thread.

As an IT manager for 30 years I understand and appreciate the work that goes into creating new software and deploying it. It is hard to create something new that exceeds end-user expectations without breaking those expectations. It is typically surprising to discover all the different ways people come up with to use a piece of software, along with the many different work-arounds they create. Hopefully you have back-end developers who can answer questions for you? For software of this scale, it is more than a full time job for one person during the rollout period.

I suggest keeping a list of bugs and questions reported along with their resolution status maintained only by Admins. This might be categorized. That way end users can view and search before adding to the workload. Also people can see if their report is acknowledged or accepted. A thread for "How Do I...." type questions to which end-users can contribute may also lighten the workload. Thanks.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
You may be replying to someone else's item.

Do you have any comment on 1) the PRIVACY issue I've mentioned twice? 2) the lack of VIEW COUNT mentioned twice. Those items are not about post ordering or search.

Hunting and pecking for prior feature equivalents is one way to learn.

Did the former VBulletin developers create any documentation, such as:
Old Board funtion ABC = New Board equivalent function XYZ? If so that might make the transition easier for people. (Many developers create documentation only after its absence becomes painful.) Hopefully your developers are regularly reading this thread.

As an IT manager for 30 years I understand and appreciate the work that goes into creating new software and deploying it. It is hard to create something new that exceeds end-user expectations without breaking those expectations. It is typically surprising to discover all the different ways people come up with to use a piece of software, along with the many different work-arounds they create. Hopefully you have back-end developers who can answer questions for you? For software of this scale, it is more than a full time job for one person during the rollout period.

I suggest keeping a list of bugs and questions reported along with their resolution status maintained only by Admins. This might be categorized. That way end users can view and search before adding to the workload. Also people can see if their report is acknowledged or accepted. A thread for "How Do I...." type questions to which end-users can contribute may also lighten the workload. Thanks.

I posted about the count function, and uploaded an image grab of the cPanel. We could set the counters but that will affect the overall category counters....

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What's going to be the difference in the search Steve?

Will we be allowed to search for words three letters?

@bonzo75

That is a regular problem for search. Typically search will look for combinations of letters anywhere it finds them. That means inside other words - and that can mean large numbers of irrelevant search results. It doesn't know what you want. It's a trade-off. Having something like "search whole words only" could be an option that avoids that issue. For example putting your search term in quotes (eg. "SRA") could mean search only for the term surrounded by white space.

Typically you'd buy a quality search engine that can be customized to your particular subject domain and to which work can be handed-off, rather than re-inventing the wheel by writing your own.

----> Hopefully search will NOT search on people's equipment lists unless specified to do so.
Suppose I want to read messages about the Aesthetix Io phono stage. If by default search goes across equipment lists then every message posted by a person with that in his equipment list will return as a result. It's a waste of computer resources and end-user time.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The last point is exceptionally good

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I posted about the count function, and uploaded an image grab of the cPanel. We could set the counters but that will affect the overall category counters....

VIEW COUNT - that is, the function that counts views - is already known as it does show in one place (that I've found.) It should be a matter of calling it (or retrieving it) on a page that lists threads for a sub-forum.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been demoted from WBF Founding Member to Active Member.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
How do I change the display to show the posts in reverse order; that is the last (current) post is first on page 1. I can’t find that option even though it is probably right in front of me. :)

Steve Williams

How do I change the display to show the posts in reverse order; that is the last (current) post is first on page 1. I can’t find that option even though it is probably right in front of me. :)
:rolleyes:
Thread Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing