Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Justin/Marslo may be right. Likely a taste thing. I have about 10 people lined up preferring the Pac over the GG1 and 2, but Bonzo and crew prefer the other way.
For me it was not close.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Justin may be right. Likely a taste thing. I have about 10 people lined up preferring the Pac over the GG1 and 2, but Bonzo and crew prefer the other way.
For me it was not close.

No it's not a taste thing

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have 3 close friends whose ears I trust that have changed from GG1 to Pacific. According to them the PAC is sounding considerably better.

I should receive my PAC on Friday.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have 3 close friends whose ears I trust that have changed from GG1 to Pacific. According to them the PAC is sounding considerably better.

I should receive my PAC on Friday.

Then there is a difference in the GG or the Pac models or both. All 5 of us are seasoned Lampizators too. Congrats on your Pac. Btw, it does get much more nicer body with an external pre, which I know you are not a fan of

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I am not a Lampizator owner but witnessed the "openbox ceremony" of a Pacific dac at the home of a frd of mine.
His dac was GG2 and the other components were Verity Audio speaker, MBL Corona preamp+poweramp and an Antipodes server.
Right after taken out of the box and turned on, the Pacific surpassed GG2 in all aspects, not only resolution and dynamics.
The Pacific simply gave a more real sound.
IMO they are in diff leagues.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I think people who put analog over digital may like better GG or B7 .
Imho PAC shows the best in modern digital - resolution, transparency, bass control, imaging and musicality with VERY dark background.
But for analog fans it will be still a bit digital, GG and B7 was closer to analog type of sound .

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

So then maybe it is not only a matter of burn-in hours but also travelling miles that makes your GG so outerworldish that it sounds even better than the Pacific DAC ;)

Probably we "normal" Lampi owners could vastly improve our DACs if we would always carry our DACs around with us, maybe on the daily way to work and back to give them some obviously badly needed travelling miles :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So then maybe it is not only a metter of burn-in hours but also travelling miles that makes your GG so outerworldish that it sounds even better than the Pacific DAC ;)

Probably we "normal" Lampi owners could vastly improve our DACs if we would always carry our DACs around with us, maybe on the daily way to work and back to give them some obviously badly needed travelling miles :rolleyes:

The other 4 owners are not listening to my GG. But yes you for example could start by replacing your Mundorf caps. Though heihei does have Mundorf and he preferred the GG.

Like I said, I will take my GG1 over to someone who says his Pacific was better than his GG, and we can check..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The other 4 owners are not listening to my GG. But yes you for example could start by replacing your Mundorf caps. Though heihei does have Mundorf and he preferred the GG.

Are you seriously saying that the other 4 did also schlepp their GGs to that compare against that Pacific DAC?

I would not dare to definitely say I prefer mine over something in someone elses system without direct comparison :rolleyes:

I'm starting to suspect, that this exact Pacific DAC could be faulty.
At least the demo Pacific DAC I have at home atm is all but inferior sounding to my GG

So what would be the holy grail cap to replace the "suboptimal" Mundorf?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you seriously saying that the other 4 did also schlepp their GGs to that compare against that Pacific DAC?

At least I would not dare to definitely say I prefer mine over something in someone elses system without direct comparison :rolleyes:

So what would be the holy grail cap to replace the "suboptimal" Mundorf?

Some get the Pacific dac to compare in their systems.

It is very simple. I will take my GG1 over to a Pacific owner. Maybe two. To rule out other variables.

Jupiter or duelunds

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

See post #443 that isn't really what I said.

Christoph - are you going to buy the Pacific? Just curious, doesn't really matter to me, obviously.

I'd put my DAC up against the Pacific with AD1 in it versus Pacific with RK 300B and if the Pacific wins I'd be seriously amazed and secretly impressed.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Some get the Pacific dac to compare in their systems.

The other 4 had that exact Pacific DAC also at their homes?
If that is the case I really think this exact Pacific DAC has a problem :oops:

It is very simple. I will take my GG1 over to a Pacific owner. Maybe two. To rule out other variables.

True, that would be the best way to find out.
Maybe when Norman and Goran take the demo Pacific to Stenheim again.
And there would probably also be Goran's GG2.5/Pac lite and Norman's latest spec GG1 for a compare...

Jupiter or duelunds

Can you please be more specific about the exact models and why you would chose one over the other, and both over the Mundorf?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes Stenheim might be a good idea. If dates won't work, can meet separately at Goran's. I don't know the exact models of the caps.

I might even take it to the Lampi factory.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I believe this is not the simple math as 1+1=2. As Marslo said it may boil down to personal preferences. It has to be noted that at this particular moment Chris has at his place biggest number of Lampi DACs which he can, and he did compare (A+, Der Siebener, GG and Pacific). In few weeks I’ll bring mine GG2 or Pac Lite or call it whatever you want so we can do the big shootout. And to me personally Pac is the man of the party while mine is not far behind. Duelund/Mundorf - i’ve choosen Mundorf - had Duelund in GG and i preffer Mundorf.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes Stenheim might be a good idea. If dates won't work, can meet separately at Goran's. I don't know the exact models of the caps.

I might even take it to the Lampi factory.
Stenheim is beeing cooked for 9.11 but I’m still awaiting the response fron JP about his availability.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
GG is far ahead of the GA to. I don't see how Seibner or A+ would matter here.

I do accept it's not a simple equation to figure out in terms of which caps, but while I can understand why some guys prefer stats and some prefer ribbons, some prefer koetsu and some Lyra, it is rare that I see someone prefer over this much of a difference. Regarding compares of Lampi dacs, Goran, I had taken my Lampi before to the factory and compared with all different models there... Including balanced. I am anal about comparing my Lampi to other Lampis and benchmarking it. Why do you think I want to make the trip over to yours with such a big case? In case there is any negative difference, I will ship mine straight to Poland to make it to your spec. Should be easy and cheap.

I put the Pac vs GG out there for a simple reason. For the Lampi crowd it does not matter that much, they will navigate past it, but for our readers let them know that if they are potentially interested they should look at both, not only one, and not automatically assume the more expensive model is better. Hope that is helpful to them. As for me I am quite willing to upgrade to your GG2 if it is better, not to Pacific even if it is, as far as finances go. And specing one's own Lampi helps, and this is what we as Lampi nation collectively contribute to

Reactions: Trab

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My GG1 has Jupiter caps.

Pac is better so far..it is a monster. I guess its the CCS "driver" tube, much bigger power supply and tighter tolerance heater selector switch. Big difference is PCM, DSD is not that much different. Lukasz is not the type to make a more expensive model without significant upside in SQ. It simply is not in his DNA. Now, we can disagree on taste, but the difference will always be significant. Pac is more of everything without the downside.

I will check out Goran's "Pac lite" this week and see what it does over the GG and let you know my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trab and christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I believe this is not the simple math as 1+1=2. As Marslo said it may boil down to personal preferences. It has to be noted that at this particular moment Chris has at his place biggest number of Lampi DACs which he can, and he did compare (A+, Der Siebener, GG and Pacific). In few weeks I’ll bring mine GG2 or Pac Lite or call it whatever you want so we can do the big shootout. And to me personally Pac is the man of the party while mine is not far behind. Duelund/Mundorf - i’ve choosen Mundorf - had Duelund in GG and i preffer Mundorf.

Again I think it isn't clear cut. Cap differences are subtler than valve differences. I am finding Jupiter works better with some valves and Duelands with others, despite a huge difference in capacitance values between the two.

Switchable output caps are where it's at for super fine tuning, dudes. Get with the program LOL.

I would also state that since the difference between caps is subtler, it is very hard to know which you prefer if you cannot switch between options in the fly, combined with throwing valves and rectifiers into the equation.

Flexibility of those three items is fairly awesome to have

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Haha. Taking it to next level shytt. Cap rolling. Almost as bad as AL with...cap vs direct no cap switch!

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Again I think it isn't clear cut. Cap differences are subtler than valve differences. I am finding Jupiter works better with some valves and Duelands with others, despite a huge difference in capacitance values between the two.

Switchable output caps are where it's at for super fine tuning, dudes. Get with the program LOL.

I would also state that since the difference between caps is subtler, it is very hard to know which you prefer if you cannot switch between options in the fly, combined with throwing valves and rectifiers into the equation.

Flexibility of those three items is fairly awesome to have

Can you share internal pictures of your Lampi where you have the different caps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing