Pic of my new Schroeder LT arm in manufacturing...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So earlier this year, a friend and I both ordered Schroeder LT tonearms. They are due to be shipped and installed in about 10 days. I'll be using my Lyra Atlas...Looking forward to hearing this arm and suspect it to be a better match with my Lyra than my Tri Planar currently is. The Tri planar seems to love my Allaerts MC2 Finish....

It's a quick pic...but I'll have the finished version installed soon and will take better ones...

John's LT-1.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations John, Will this be going on your Grand Prix? You say the LT is in manufacturing. It looks to be playing an LP. Perhaps this is quality control post construction. I love the simple elegance of the design. What kind of turntable is that?

Hi yes on the Grand Prix Monaco table. Pretty sure the wiring isn't on the arm yet...the cartridge isn't wired up if you look closely, yeah I guess he's just giving it a spin on some test table...looks like it's on a hobby horse in his shop...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So my new arm (and armboard) got installed yesterday. I got up at 4 am to continue listening...This arm transforms my vinyl playback, I feel like I got a new phono stage and preamp...yes it's that big of a change from the tri planar.

First thing you notice at the first playing note is the impact a note has and how it trails off, next is how focused the images are, inside the speakers, outside the speakers, and front to back in the soundstage. Next the dynamic range..I almost feel like someone is turning the volume up and down...it's ability to change from soft to loud or loud to soft on each note is startling. Timing in addition to the dynamic range...you can feel the performers speed up or slow down...it's eery is how I perceive this...I hadn't noticed it before on familiar recordings....and this brings me to the next point...I hear stuff in my records I've never noticed before. Whether it's a breath before blowing a horn or a sax...on one recording...steve dobbins thought someone was outside making a funny noise...it turned out to be some guy at the back of the stage humming along with the music...

So, I'll likely start a new post here with pics...just my first impressions, however, this is a special arm...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So my new arm (and armboard) got installed yesterday. I got up at 4 am to continue listening...This arm transforms my vinyl playback, I feel like I got a new phono stage and preamp...yes it's that big of a change from the tri planar.

First thing you notice at the first playing note is the impact a note has and how it trails off, next is how focused the images are, inside the speakers, outside the speakers, and front to back in the soundstage. Next the dynamic range..I almost feel like someone is turning the volume up and down...it's ability to change from soft to loud or loud to soft on each note is startling. Timing in addition to the dynamic range...you can feel the performers speed up or slow down...it's eery is how I perceive this...I hadn't noticed it before on familiar recordings....and this brings me to the next point...I hear stuff in my records I've never noticed before. Whether it's a breath before blowing a horn or a sax...on one recording...steve dobbins thought someone was outside making a funny noise...it turned out to be some guy at the back of the stage humming along with the music...

So, I'll likely start a new post here with pics...just my first impressions, however, this is a special arm...

Congratulations, John. I think a dedicated post is in order. Would love to see the pictures. 4AM, wow, that's late.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats, should make the Atlas sing,

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Audioarcher, I went for the Silver...you're in for a real treat. A friend of mine got his on Fri...he went from a Reed 2p...

Myles...my Atlas is singing...I've never ever had vinyl this good. Or heard the Atlas sound like this...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Audioarcher, I went for the Silver...you're in for a real treat. A friend of mine got his on Fri...he went from a Reed 2p...

Myles...my Atlas is singing...I've never ever had vinyl this good. Or heard the Atlas sound like this...

Congrats. I can't wait! I made my own arm board a couple weeks ago. Here's a couple pics. Schroeder LT arm board 003.jpg Schroeder LT arm board 005.jpg Schroeder LT arm board 004.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
You are ready for your arm ! It was interesting watching this arm get set up...most pivoted arms you spend so much time on alignment in the headshell...this arm the time is spent more at the back getting the leveling just perfect...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
You are ready for your arm ! It was interesting watching this arm get set up...most pivoted arms you spend so much time on alignment in the headshell...this arm the time is spent more at the back getting the leveling just perfect...

Yes, that is what I understand. It has adjustment screws at the base that allow it to be leveled just right. Which is critical to avoid side forces on the cantilever.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Leveling of what part? The base of the arm?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Leveling of what part? The base of the arm?

Yes the base of the arm. No arm board is perfectly level with the platter. This is a feature that would be nice to have on any arm IMO. When an arm is not on the same plane as the platter and also completely level it can effect skating forces one way or the other. The better the bearings the more it will effect it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes the base of the arm. No arm board is perfectly level with the platter. This is a feature that would be nice to have on any arm IMO. When an arm is not on the same plane as the platter and also completely level it can effect skating forces one way or the other. The better the bearings the more it will effect it.

What if there's no armboard?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What if there's no armboard?

As with a TT that the arm bolts straight to the plinth? Depends on how flat and uniform the plinth is. With most arms it is near impossible to tell how level they really are. On my Reed arm I put a bubble level on the top of the VTA tower to help me figure out how level the arm is. Hard to say how accurate that really is. I think it is probably more accurate than putting a bubble level on the arm board itself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's not an issue for a true unipivot arm. They will find level on their own.

Just that you raised the question? And I do wonder about the old arm board Bob Graham used to build.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing