Sophia (blue) EL-34-ST Tubes

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
That one is on my list for dissection. Because they bought most of the 9a base plate dies when Telefunken closed their doors. So the plates are the same, but not the metallurgy, I want to compare and contrast the cathode and the grid winding to a Telefunken.

What shoots the new current tubes for a lot of people is the use of copper in the metallurgy. Which the electromagnetism effect changes how well the harmonics propagate in the tube. Granted some are made for things like guitar amps that most of these side harmonics are intentionally cancelled out, Some EE that are not specialized in audio will tell you any modulated distortion should be cancelled out. But they say other crazy things like there is no difference with resistors or capacitors either.
If you want to try a set of cheap reflecktor 6922 tubes at parts connection Chris Johnson bought out the personal stash of the arc engineer who past away. They are marked sovtec but the structure is the same as the reflecktor 6922s. I have a couple of those sets in a drawer as well. The last I saw them they were very cheap. Like very very cheap.

Reactions: DaveC

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Well you were right I didn't give the gold lion 6922s enough break in time
They seems to be changing back and forth. From bright and edgy to ok. Lots of bounce in the music. Better timing than the reflectors. Give them some more time and see what happens. Perhaps put the set of four in the monoblocks instead of the pair in the cd player. I must say I didn't think that they were not broken in enough lol live and learn. Thank you everyone!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing