The Colibri “Master Signature”

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How big is the difference between the Crimson and the signature? Also how big is the difference between the various body types. In the older colibri while one could hear the difference between P and G, it imo was not strong enough to dictate purchase

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
How big is the difference between the Crimson and the signature? Also how big is the difference between the various body types. In the older colibri while one could hear the difference between P and G, it imo was not strong enough to dictate purchase

Start a new thread on vdH identification and sonic differences.

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have been writing about positives of this Colibri Master Signature.
The drawback of this cart is the sibilances on vocal what I find more than other carts I own. I have been trying to tame down these sibilances for the past few days. Now it is at its lowest point while not compromising other positives but still more than the others.

Tang :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The drawback of this cart is the sibilances on vocal what I find more than other carts I own. I have been trying to tame down these sibilances for the past few days. Now it is at its lowest point while not compromising other positives but still more than the others.

Dear Tang,

i've owned 9 vdh Colibri cartridges; 7 of them back 9+ years ago, 2 this past year and still own one of them.

100% of them had their 'bad boy' moments where they would bring a touch of edge in spots. why? i guess they are such a minimalist design some of that energy they project get's out of control. it's a trade-off that comes with the attributes.

it would be interesting to know which of your arms is best able to minimize this issue. i found that my Telos Sapphire was relatively better at this than the standard Telos......but it was never eliminated.

best regards,

Mike

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you for this report!

Yikes! That is a smoking gun for me. I really dislike sibilance on vocals.

To be clear the vdH has more sibilance on vocals than the ZYX?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I agree with Ron, if a cartridge has excess sibilance on vocals, that would discount it for me. Since I am in the process of weeding out cartridges, and was considering the Crimson Strad, this aspect would eliminate it from contention.
Interesting how so many cartridges have problems in one area or another...no perfect transducer. One of the conversations I had today with a fellow a’phile friend was how the ultra low output cartridges are asking for trouble. He thought that one gave up the benefits of less coil wire with the problems associated upstream with additional noise, due to having to amplify such a minute signal. I agree with him on this matter.
I do wonder why this aspect( excess sibilance on vocals) regarding Van Den Hul cartridges isn’t more commonly known...or maybe it is?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

i've owned 9 vdh Colibri cartridges; 7 of them back 9+ years ago, 2 this past year and still own one of them.

100% of them had their 'bad boy' moments where they would bring a touch of edge in spots. why? i guess they are such a minimalist design some of that energy they project get's out of control. it's a trade-off that comes with the attributes.

it would be interesting to know which of your arms is best able to minimize this issue. i found that my Telos Sapphire was relatively better at this than the standard Telos......but it was never eliminated.

best regards,

Mike

Dear Mike,

I have only tried the Master Sig with SME and Axiom. With the Axiom, there was a little less sibilances than with the SME. However I think this was because the phono I used with the Axiom was Ayon which is more forgiving on the highs than the EMT phono that I am using with the SME's. I never tried with SAT. However, I think it is in the DNA of this cart. I already tried tuning azimuths, vtf's and Vta's. I used your favorite Dean Martin song, Blue Moon, to easily compare sibilances with my other carts. When he sings "Blue moon. You SSSaw me SStanding alone" that's where easily heard. But nothing gets more real than the Master Sig when he ends the song with "Without the love of my own."

@Ron. When I wrote my comment about sibilance, I actually was thinking about you. The ZYX and Opus do have less sibilances. But apart from this sibilance, I could really hear deeper into his vocal and music with the Master Sig. Nothing is perfect.

@Peter. Loading shapes off sibilances very minor but could have more adverse effect on energy of music.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore

Hi Tang, I would agree with you on the issue of sibilance with the Colibri. I have the Colibri XGW and the sibilance is significantly more accentuated in the Colibri vis a vis other carts. The question is how have you been able to tame it down? Grateful for some insight. Thanks!
Sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Read Fremer's report in the August stereophile on the vdh strad sibilance management

Reactions: sujay

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Oh no
Sssserious problemssss
With Massster Ssssig on the Sssssmeeeee;)

Reactions: bazelio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Isn't one of the problems w something like sibilance, that even if you tame it, you kinda sit on the edge of your seat, slightly grip the armrests, and never loosen yr jaw, just waiting for the next sharp moment?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Hi Tang,

How did you tame the sibilance. I found the same with the Colibri.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Perhaps if a system is not as transparent and extended as Tang's is, the VdH's sibilance is much less of an issue. I suppose that is why it sounds different with the Ayon phono. Imagine this cartridge with some SS electronics and hot metal dome tweeters.

Tang, we all really appreciate your candid reports of these highly regarded cartridges. As someone who can really afford to own only one of these top cartridges, I have one burning question for you which you seem well qualified to answer given the many direct comparisons that you have made recently: If you could have only one top cartridge, given your system and taste, what would it be?

Reactions: bazelio and bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,

How did you tame the sibilance. I found the same with the Colibri.

Hi Bill,

I didnt tame it. I am no magician. I could only tune it down a little. I found the change in azimuth shape off the sibilance more than adjusting the vtf that Mr. Fremer was implying. I also tried different vta's which could lower down the sidilance also, but it compromised my goose bump factor. So I ended up going back to my original optimal setting and adjust only the azimuth which has the least or no side effects that I could hear.

Hope you guys dont overblow this sibilance things way out of proportion. It is there in the dna. If you can only have one cart and very sensitive to sibilances. Don't buy the vdh. Buy the Atlas SL, This cart has the lowest sibalance without sacrificing highs. But it has no magic of the Master Signature.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Com
Perhaps if a system is not as transparent and extended as Tang's is, the VdH's sibilance is much less of an issue. I suppose that is why it sounds different with the Ayon phono. Imagine this cartridge with some SS electronics and hot metal dome tweeters.

Tang, we all really appreciate your candid reports of these highly regarded cartridges. As someone who can really afford to own only one of these top cartridges, I have one burning question for you which you seem well qualified to answer given the many direct comparisons that you have made recently: If you could have only one top cartridge, given your system and taste, what would it be?

Come on Peter. You have to give me at least two. And the answer would be the Master Signature and Opus1.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

I didnt tame it. I am no magician. I could only tune it down a little. I found the change in azimuth shape off the sibilance more than adjusting the vtf that Mr. Fremer was implying. I also tried different vta's which could lower down the sidilance also, but it compromised my goose bump factor. So I ended up going back to my original optimal setting and adjust only the azimuth which has the least or no side effects that I could hear.

Hope you guys dont overblow this sibilance things way out of proportion. It is there in the dna. If you can only have one cart and very sensitive to sibilances. Don't buy the vdh. Buy the Atlas SL, This cart has the lowest sibalance without sacrificing highs. But it has no magic of the Master Signature.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes agree with your comments. I tried running low at the rear (VTA) but it lost energy and drive that gave it the excitement.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your Honor, the witness is unwilling to answer the question! Thanks anyway Tang, your response is revealing.:)

Same thing I said in my report, if I had to have only one of those, it would be Opus, but if I could have two, first would be the VDH strad, and then something else. I think it is the best cart I have heard but only in some (many) aspects but not complete. Opus is more balanced but in the areas where VDH is good it just has much more magic

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing