The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Th TD 12 MK1 is the best digital I have heard (and I have heard quite a few and own the Aqua Formula). I would love to hear and own the TD 12 Mk II.

I'm getting the opportunity to listen to the Twelve tomorrow night. I'm very excited, as it's one of my dream dacs as well.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi all,
I am proud to announce that Alon Wolf, founder of Magico speakers in California, has tested the Totaldac d1-twelve-mk2 and has decided to buy it for his officiel demo room and more:D
He has also selected the Totaldac GIGAFILTER (for when he uses USB) and Totaldac/Bibacord AES-EBU cables.

Here is a photo of the demo room, taken from a Stereophile article released in 2015:
080815-AlonWolf-600_0.jpg

I saw also photos from a visit of Magico factory by myhighend, but I can't find them anymore. Some has the link?

Reactions: jackson_k

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Hi all,
I am proud to announce that Alon Wolf, founder of Magico speakers in California, has tested the Totaldac d1-twelve-mk2 and has decided to buy it for his officiel demo room and more:D
He has also selected the Totaldac GIGAFILTER (for when he uses USB) and Totaldac/Bibacord AES-EBU cables.

Congrats !

Here is a photo of the demo room, taken from a Stereophile article released in 2015:
View attachment 43997

I saw also photos from a visit of Magico factory by myhighend, but I can't find them anymore. Some has the link?

I have visited it last year, very nice room.

Here's the link by myhighend,
http://my-hiend.com/wp/全新的聲音標竿-magico-m6旗艦喇叭試聽與原廠採訪/

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I saw also photos from a visit of Magico factory by myhighend, but I can't find them anymore. Some has the link?

There were some rumors that Alon was considering rebuilding his room with acoustic treatments from SMT. Does any one know if he proceeded that way?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Other manufacturers like Shunyata Research, Devore Fidelity, Absolare, Echole, Esprit, Engström use a Totaldac DAC as reference as well.

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi all,

View attachment 43997

Good for you Vincent, same choice i will be doing for my end game rig:)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Other manufacturers like Shunyata Research, Devore Fidelity, Absolare, Echole, Esprit, Engström use a Totaldac DAC as reference as well.

Hello Vincent,

Congratulations!
Most of the top DACs are available in Hong Kong and I have listened to all of them.
The original Twelve and the current Twelve Mk2 are always my favourites!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Nice report.
Can you say something of the sound of the Bespoke Preamp compared to the HD preamp?

I listened to Nagra HD Preamp a few times in the past.
It is one of the best tube preamps in the market.

However the HD Preamp used during my Twelve Mk2 audition was a totally new one.
It sounded rather closed.
Probably needs some serious burn-in, so we listened to it only for 20 mins and then returned to use the Bespoke again.

Reactions: fwyleung

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The comparison was easy because Volent Audio HK carries both Totaldac and Aqua Audio.

I listened to Twelve Mk2, Six and Aqua Audio Formula xHD with the same set of components :
SGM EVO Edition Server ; Westminster Lab mono poweramps ; Volent VL3.5 speakers ; most cables were from Westminster Lab ; the usb cable was Intona Ultimate USB Cable ; Network consisted of Synology 916+ NAS/Clones Audio modded Cisco Switch/Telegartner MFP8 Gold II ethernet cable.

All the above three DACs was driven by the SGM EVO Edition Server via an Intona Ultimate USB cable.
(That SGM EVO Edition Server didn't have any AES/coaxial digital output card installed. It had an usb digital output only)

I can't remember exactly what files were played but I guess Ben Lau of Volent HK must have given the three DACs files which suited them most.

Thanks for the details. As I understand it the TD sounds best using dual AES so there was even more room to get better.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That Twelve Mk2 was fresh from the boxes.
I listened for about 2 hours.
Despite of such a short warm-up time, the Twelve Mk2 bettered the Aqua Audio Formula xHD DAC in the showroom in seconds!
(Well, the Twelve being so expensive, it better be)

The sound was so transparent, effortless and lively!
There wasn't any lack of macro-dynamics and authority even when the Bespoke Preamp was in use.
And of course, micro-dynamics, agility and resolution are Twelve's specialties.

It's a pity that there wasn't a Twelve Mk1 for a direct comparison.

I will go back to the showroom to have another audition again after it has been "boiled" for a week and post an update here (before my owner friend is back from his trip and take it home). :D

The TD 12 mk1 will be much superior. You need TD6 to compare to the aqua formula

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The TD 12 mk1 will be much superior. You need TD6 to compare to the aqua formula

I'm curious if you have heard the Aqua xHD vs TD6 or TD7? TD6 = ~ $14.5K USD, Aqua Formula xHD = $17K USD and the TD7 = $20.2K USD so I get how the Formula xHD would compare to the TD6. They're all within about $5K USD of each other.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I'm curious if you have heard the Aqua xHD vs TD6 or TD7? TD6 = ~ $14.5K USD, Aqua Formula xHD = $17K USD and the TD7 = $20.2K USD so I get how the Formula xHD would compare to the TD6. They're all within about $5K USD of each other.

You may also compare to the Totaldac d1-direct, which sounds close to the d1-twelve-mk2.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I listened to Nagra HD Preamp a few times in the past.
It is one of the best tube preamps in the market.

However the HD Preamp used during my Twelve Mk2 audition was a totally new one.
It sounded rather closed.
Probably needs some serious burn-in, so we listened to it only for 20 mins and then returned to use the Bespoke again.

Thank you!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
There were some rumors that Alon was considering rebuilding his room with acoustic treatments from SMT. Does any one know if he proceeded that way?

No, he hasn't proceeded in that direction.
Which doesn't say he wouldn't want to. It appears not because of A. Wolf himself (*) or SMT that it is not happening but other 'stakeholders' preventing this to happen. Can't say more I am afraid.

(*) For two years in a row, SMT is ensuring full acoustic treatment of a few blue chip brands in Munich (for some, like Magico, they span an acoustic transparent cloth in front with nice scenery)

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
You may also compare to the Totaldac d1-direct, which sounds close to the d1-twelve-mk2.

Yes! not far away ... and in synergy with the d1-driver, it's in my audio experience, the best source I've ever heard at home (and this has been going on for a while)
really amazing... every song seems to be an acoustic event !

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes! not far away ... and in synergy with the d1-driver, it's in my audio experience, the best source I've ever heard at home (and this has been going on for a while)
really amazing... every song seems to be an acoustic event !

The Hong Kong Totaldac dealer doesn't have the D1-Direct nor the D1-Driver for demo yet.
:(

I am particularly interested in the D1-Direct, because Vincent has said that it's closest to the Twelve!

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I just got back my TotalDac d1-12 upgraded to the MkII this Friday. It is connected to an SGM EVO with an AES-EBU output with all music stored on the SGM’s internal drives.

Although the MkII has been on for only 48 hours, it has already produced, together with a pair of recently installed 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani 10kVa balanced transformers (one for sources and one for amps), the closest reproduction to real music in my room ever before, with the lowest noise floor, most transparent, yet naturally musical and relaxed presentation by not a small margin.

If you own the TotalDac mkI, I would urge you to consider upgrading to the MkII without question.

A good audiophile friend mentioned Vincent is very modest and would never produce an upgrade unless it was a substantive improvement.

He is right on all counts. Congratulations Vincent!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just got back my TotalDac d1-12 upgraded to the MkII this Friday. It is connected to an SGM EVO with an AES-EBU output with all music stored on the SGM’s internal drives.
Although the MkII has been on for only 48 hours, it has already produced, together with a pair of recently installed 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani 10kVa balanced transformers (one for sources and one for amps), the closest reproduction to real music in my room ever before, with the lowest noise floor, most transparent, yet naturally musical and relaxed presentation by not a small margin.
If you own the TotalDac mkI, I would urge you to consider upgrading to the MkII without question.
A good audiophile friend mentioned Vincent is very modest and would never produce an upgrade unless it was a substantive improvement.

Hello cmarin,
Congratualtions!

Were the 512Engineering Iso Transformers in use with your Twelve Mk1 dac before?

If not, it's a confounding factor and if feasible, please listen to the Twelve Mk2 again without them and tell us what you think is the diff between Mk1 and Mk2.

Many thanks in advance.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

Whaaouu !!! when I hear already, everyday, the musical emotion that offer me my "little" set d1-direct / d1-driver...
Congrats too, Mister cmarin... your system is quite incredible and this Twelve MKII seems to be a real new listening experience !

Bruno

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing