Thomas Schick tonearm

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Sounds like (not knowing full details) that the arm should have gone back for repair...

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sold the Schick
Didn't like it....designwise and mechanically
Bought an Alfred Bokrand Ortofon banana 309 with EMT collar for my EMT TMD25 and TSD 15.
Soon ready to test all on my Garrardzilla approach

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the monstrosity!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
mainly on recommendation, but must admit after having dealt with Jaap Pees, that I feel really confident with my choice
also it has slightly higher power rating than some of the others, which is no negative in my book
the one sold by Artisan is from eastern Europe and surely good, but is way more expensive even direct in Europe and I choose to use the onboard speedselector instead of one on the psu with individual adjustments for each speed...
also am attracted to the neutral no BS industrial design

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
mainly on recommendation, but must admit after having dealt with Jaap Pees, that I feel really confident with my choice
also it has slightly higher power rating than some of the others, which is no negative in my book
the one sold by Artisan is from eastern Europe and surely good, but is way more expensive even direct in Europe and I choose to use the onboard speedselector instead of one on the psu with individual adjustments for each speed...
also am attracted to the neutral no BS industrial design
Thanks for the response Leif. I recently demoed the Long Dog Audio P/S on my 301 and it didn’t seem to have an impact on SQ or speed stability. I’d very much like to try the HAT.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thats one of the alternatives I ditched due to reported lack of positive impact on sound
difficult for me to report on differences since I went straight to the "ultimate solution", removing eddy current disc and all, but I´ll most certainly know what I hear when it´s all up in a week or two
best
Leif

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
had my carpenter man here today to fix some shelves above Garrard 301 for HAT psu and Airtangent ref display unit and also a loooong narrow shelf behind both tt´s for assorted SUT´s....

Reactions: brencho

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
Just reading through some of the information on here...
I seem to have had a different experience to others regarding these....and still have a Schick which I find it very nicely made and sounding.
I find it more medium mass and therefore flexible with a large variety of cartridges. I think I am going to mount it on my 401 once the plinth is finished and I decide which direction to go with cartridges...
(I actually bought a T612 to try but wasn't convinced about it's operation so sold prior to mounting it.)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
no I had the shorter version, which was ok, but went for the Groovemaster, which is a beauty, apart from the floppy sliding base

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
I have used a Schick tonearm with three different cartridges, Lyra Kleos SL, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, and Denon DL-103sa. I find the arm to sound wonderful and quite flexible with a variety of cartridges despite its early reputation of being an arm for low compliance carts. The design is really simple and it's not one for those that like knobs and everything on-the-fly, but if you're a set it and forget it kind of guy, then the Schick is still a really good arm to consider.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing