Totaldac Reference D1

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I am now considering the upgrade from d1-seven to d1-direct based on feedback received by other Absolare owners and Vincent's own recommendation.

Will report back in due course.

Cheers

Guillaume

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
I am now considering the upgrade from d1-seven to d1-direct based on feedback received by other Absolare owners and Vincent's own recommendation. Will report back in due course.

Cheers
Guillaume

Cool and so, when Guillaume?!
And please what are the feeling of the Absolare owners, you know about this d1-direct? i'm a little bit curious !... i'm bad.

Be well in music
Bruno

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
still searching for quarters lost in the sofa cushions, but i've decided to go ahead and upgrade my d1-six to d1-direct.

after testing the d1-six balanced output with 10db attenuation at the dac and rca/single-ended with 4db attenuation, i have plenty of dynamic range left on my pre-amp.
i will ship it to Vincent in a couple of weeks, so i should be able to start assessing the d1-direct in my system in the second half of August time frame.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
still searching for quarters lost in the sofa cushions, but i've decided to go ahead and upgrade my d1-six to d1-direct.
after testing the d1-six balanced output with 10db attenuation at the dac and rca/single-ended with 4db attenuation, i have plenty of dynamic range left on my pre-amp.
i will ship it to Vincent in a couple of weeks, so i should be able to start assessing the d1-direct in my system in the second half of August time frame.

Big Congratulations!

Looking forward to your sharing of the D1-Direct performance here in WBF. Many thanks in advance!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Raaaahh !... lovely ! only remains to experience what is hiding as music in these 2 big capas! haha.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
What to you guys think of this rig : Totaldac d1-server + d1-twelve + d1-driver driving a pair of Aries Cerat Concero 65 monos.
Very simple rig but most likely top notch.
If instead i go the preamp route with the Aries Cerat Impera II i won't have the budget for the d1-twelve therefore it would have to be d1-server + d1-direct and no d1-driver obviously.
I still don't know which would be the best solution.
I don't plan on using turntable mostly streaming Qobuz and NAS.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
What to you guys think of this rig : Totaldac d1-server + d1-twelve + d1-driver driving a pair of Aries Cerat Concero 65 monos.
If instead i go the preamp route with the Aries Cerat Impera II i won't have the budget for the d1-twelve therefore it would have to be d1-server + d1-direct and no d1-driver obviously.

I used to have the Totaldac Twelve for a few years, also in combination with the Concero65 for a few months. They drove the Lamm 1.2 Ref directly, i.e. without preamp, first. But, actually during a visit to Vincent Brient, I found out that a preamp stage was markedly better. That was the beginning of my Aries Cerat voyage as I could not find a preamp that ticked all the boxes for me and I had tested quite a few at home. After the Impera preamp blew me away, I tested the Concero65 to never look back, and finally compared the Kassandra Ref to the Twelve. I was not intending to make any concession in sound quality, on the contrary, just to have the same brand, each component had to 'earn' its place. Difference between the Kassandra Ref and the Twelve was the hardest choice because they sound excellent but each with its nuance, ultimately the possibility to have a DAC at almost half the price of the Twelve for at least as much audio pleasure and a more organic sound tipped the balance to the Kassandra.

So yes, if you were to go with the Twelve, you will need a driver stage in my opinion. Try to find an event where Vincent demoed the Twelve without any preamp stage and you will learn a lot from it. I have not (yet) heard the new Totaldac Driver so don't know how it compares to an AC preamp. As Totaldac grants a testing period, we might even consider a comparative demo. For example between the Incito and the Driver which are closest in price.

Now, for the Totaldac server, allow me to say that is probably the least good product Vincent makes, also based on personal comparison. Otherwise I rate Totaldac products from good to excellent, providing the reclocker option is taken. Still love Vincent for his 'human factor' in hi-end, his savoir-faire and because he is one of those selfmade men that deserve big success!

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Now, for the Totaldac server, allow me to say that is probably the least good product Vincent makes, also based on personal comparison. Otherwise I rate Totaldac products from good to excellent, providing the reclocker option is taken. Still love Vincent for his 'human factor' in hi-end, his savoir-faire and because he is one of those selfmade men that deserve big success!

To be fair, in what form did you try the Totaldac Server? He has improved it allot since inception:
Separate supply for the server module
Tweaked reclocker USB input power and grounding
Better Cubox module

All these were very meaningful upgrades that really fixed allot of the problems it had. Also, the most amazing USB Cable I have ever tried, the Gigafilter. It is WOW.
All together, and taking care of the network side of things, Vincent's Server sounds very good to me.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I used to have the Totaldac Twelve for a few years, also in combination with the Concero65 for a few months. They drove the Lamm 1.2 Ref directly, i.e. without preamp, first. But, actually during a visit to Vincent Brient, I found out that a preamp stage was markedly better. That was the beginning of my Aries Cerat voyage as I could not find a preamp that ticked all the boxes for me and I had tested quite a few at home. After the Impera preamp blew me away, I tested the Concero65 to never look back, and finally compared the Kassandra Ref to the Twelve. I was not intending to make any concession in sound quality, on the contrary, just to have the same brand, each component had to 'earn' its place. Difference between the Kassandra Ref and the Twelve was the hardest choice because they sound excellent but each with its nuance, ultimately the possibility to have a DAC at almost half the price of the Twelve for at least as much audio pleasure and a more organic sound tipped the balance to the Kassandra.

So yes, if you were to go with the Twelve, you will need a driver stage in my opinion. Try to find an event where Vincent demoed the Twelve without any preamp stage and you will learn a lot from it. I have not (yet) heard the new Totaldac Driver so don't know how it compares to an AC preamp. As Totaldac grants a testing period, we might even consider a comparative demo. For example between the Incito and the Driver which are closest in price.

Thank you for your kind words :)
A reference system confirms that the Aries Cerat DAC that you distribute is good :)
"I have heard the Aeries Cerat Kassandra DAC in my system. I am certain it was the Reference version. I have also heard it in a full Aeries Cerat system - preamp, amps, speakers. I think it is a good DAC but it wasn't for me.

Since I do listen to vinyl, I am always looking for a digital front end that makes me want to listen to digital and not just use it to warm up my system before I listen to vinyl. That is one of my key digital evaluation criteria.

The TotalDAC D1-Twelve is for me, in my system and my musical preferences the best digital front end that I have heard in my system and I have heard a fair number of the top digital performers. They are all good but its so important to hear them in the context of your own system to be sure you know what you are getting. If it was me, I would certainly try to audition the D1-Twelve in your system "

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5045

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com

The D1 Driver with noise figures similar to the Twelve, which is barely measurable.... I think this is a pretty impressive feat and one that no preamp I know of has achieved. There's my answer. Looking at what you are wanting to achieve, cutting corners on the source is not a good idea. That is what you are listening to when all is correct.

Consider Tidal HiFi as well. I find it to be very fantastic, and after paying close attention to my network, it might even be better than my file based playback through the NAS.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
To be fair, in what form did you try the Totaldac Server? He has improved it allot since inception:
Separate supply for the server module
Tweaked reclocker USB input power and grounding
Better Cubox module

All these were very meaningful upgrades that really fixed allot of the problems it had. Also, the most amazing USB Cable I have ever tried, the Gigafilter. It is WOW.
All together, and taking care of the network side of things, Vincent's Server sounds very good to me.

Hello, i effectively had the better cubox module installed and the separate supply for the server module.

In the end, it is all a matter of personal taste and matching!

Anyway, the question I think Thieliste had, should he go with an active stage (like the Driver) or not, it seems yes, it is better in my opinion with an active stage somewhere in between. What that stage should be, is another matter.
It will be important to match total system gain as well.

If Thieliste wants to go balanced, he should consider the Twelve with XLR out and two Drivers or getting the Kassandra with a volume control and XLR out options or simply go RCA all the way, which is what I would recommend.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

Hi Thieliste,
i believe you're French, in that case, a small walk on the side of Rennes, La Saigeais, Totaldac country, could probably give you the best clarification with the direct comparison of these two stunning sources & combination which in any cases will be a good choice ! ... not forgetting that the Direct can be upgraded to Twelve, if the need was eventually felt. For my part, optimized d1-server (double PS, USB Gigafilter, Bibacord AES-EBU) + d1-direct do a job (quite very) close to Twelve.

And about, the d1-driver, I hope to have one on trial, end of august ... I am also very curious about his contribution to my musical building!

Be well in music
Bruno

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hello, i effectively had the better cubox module installed and the separate supply for the server module.

In the end, it is all a matter of personal taste and matching!

Anyway, the question I think Thieliste had, should he go with an active stage (like the Driver) or not, it seems yes, it is better in my opinion with an active stage somewhere in between. What that stage should be, is another matter.
It will be important to match total system gain as well.

If Thieliste wants to go balanced, he should consider the Twelve with XLR out and two Drivers or getting the Kassandra with a volume control and XLR out options or simply go RCA all the way, which is what I would recommend.

Agree, the Kassandra is an excellent DAC and it will fit perfectly with the AC Monos. Not sure if Stavros has ever made a Kassandra with volume control. Is that an option? Anyway the Incito S is a damb god pre-amp, no slouch. The AC sound IMO is near a top TT, full body and dynamics of the scale. If I had the money I would go all AC no question.

Right now I run a passive and seem to get away with it, probably as the Kassandra has an excellent line stage with lots of current (10v) and low output impedance with it. The common complaints or performance traits of a passive of low dynamics, lack of bass and FR changes on volume are not happening in my system. Only thing I did notice a while back was it was bass light at very low volume using my then passive, but since I have upgraded the stepped pot and also added a higher load resistor. Then I ran my speakers as bi-wire. Both those aspects seem to have cured it.

Back to choices, I would try and get to an AC dealer for a demo. It is a big budget / decision here, so IMO you need hands on (ears on) experience. Review and advice on here is great, but the final decision is hearing it yourself. Maybe check these guys out: http://www.080.fr

Good luck! I am jealous of your predicament.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Agree, the Kassandra is an excellent DAC and it will fit perfectly with the AC Monos. Not sure if Stavros has ever made a Kassandra with volume control. Is that an option? Anyway the Incito S is a damb god pre-amp, no slouch. The AC sound IMO is near a top TT, full body and dynamics of the scale. If I had the money I would go all AC no question.

Right now I run a passive and seem to get away with it, probably as the Kassandra has an excellent line stage with lots of current (10v) and low output impedance with it. The common complaints or performance traits of a passive of low dynamics, lack of bass and FR changes on volume are not happening in my system. Only thing I did notice a while back was it was bass light at very low volume using my then passive, but since I have upgraded the stepped pot and also added a higher load resistor. Then I ran my speakers as bi-wire. Both those aspects seem to have cured it.

Back to choices, I would try and get to an AC dealer for a demo. It is a big budget / decision here, so IMO you need hands on (ears on) experience. Review and advice on here is great, but the final decision is hearing it yourself. Maybe check these guys out: http://www.080.fr

Good luck! I am jealous of your predicament.

morricab from Switzerland suggested me to go visit him to demo a full Aries Cerat system driving the same speakers i own, so hopefully i can do this by the end of the year.
The French distributor will not be able to arrange me a demo with Thiel 3.7s, he mostly uses horn speakers with AC.
When you are ready to spend that kind of money on gear it is necessary to demo on the same speaker model you own.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I happen to agree with Lavorgna re: totalDAC because he seems to hear the same things I hear.

I have a question though on his review of the d1-seven:

Can someone please explain how an FPGA can *follow* the digital to analog conversion?
An FPGA is a digital (i.e. 'g' for 'gate') device.

Or is this an FPAA [field programmable analog array] or a chip with both FPGA and FPAA integrated?
I'm not looking for proprietary info here, just an understanding.

............should have my d1-direct in about 10 days.................

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Hi guys I currently have the d1-driver (amp driver not direct DAC!) on home demo. The unit arrived yesterday morning and has been playing since.

Initial impressions are positive. I have it sitting between my d1-seven and Absolare Integrated. It feels a bit odd (and counter intuitive) having what is effectively a pre amp (albeit without volume control) feeding my integrated amplifier however it seems to have quite a big effect on the sound. I could sum it up in one word: immediacy.

As the unit continues to settle I will share more in-depth impressions.

Cheers,

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing