Tube rolling for an ARC SP-9 MKii

curiousjim

Jun 8, 2018
60 miles from a big city.
Just got this thing and the PO put in Electro-Harmonix EH6922's. They are not the gold pinned ones, they're the cheapies. Anyway, does anyone have some recomendations on other 6922/6DJ8 tubes I should try and why?

Are there any other mods you guys have done?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

JD

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Just got this thing and the PO put in Electro-Harmonix EH6922's. They are not the gold pinned ones, they're the cheapies. Anyway, does anyone have some recomendations on other 6922/6DJ8 tubes I should try and why?

Are there any other mods you guys have done?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

JD

I used to sell a DAC with 6922's on the outputs. The only tube I would use is the Siemens CCA grey-plate. About $350-450 a pair and worth it. Very fast and clean sounding. Look for them on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-CCa-SIEMENS-tubes-GREY-shields-premium-6299-E88CC-CCa/282963936334?hash=item41e1f7044e:g:I6sAAOSwnVZashot

Steve N.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I have had excellent results with NOS 6h23 otherwise the lower noise Dutch production Philips / Amperex are also great.

curiousjim

Jun 8, 2018
60 miles from a big city.
I used to sell a DAC with 6922's on the outputs. The only tube I would use is the Siemens CCA grey-plate. About $350-450 a pair and worth it. Very fast and clean sounding. Look for them on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-CCa-SIEMENS-tubes-GREY-shields-premium-6299-E88CC-CCa/282963936334?hash=item41e1f7044e:g:I6sAAOSwnVZashot

Steve N.

Thanks for the link Steve N.

I’ll add them to the list. If I buy the CCa tubes and some Golden lions, it will just about double what I have in the preamp! LOL

Also looking at Harma, Amperex and Mullard.

One cool thing about this preamp, is the TT and the line circuits are separate, so I can see what works best for each.

JD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing