Typhon QR Upgrade

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi All,

When designing the new Typhon QR, Caelin initially determined that upgrades to current units would be cost-prohibitive or impossible due to chassis, connection and internal differences. Internally, the TQR unit has been overhauled with the QR/BB tech and re-purposed for direct, in-series connection to the wall compared to the original, which is a parallel unit.

After looking at many options, Caelin has found a way to offer an upgrade path for current Typhon owners. Rather than break it down here, I'll offer a link to the program. It is a factory-direct service for Typhon owners to bring their original Typhon up to the current model.

http://shunyata.com/2018/06/05/hydra-typhon-qr-upgrade-program/

Feel free to contact Richard at the factory, or myself via e-mail if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

supersax

May 22, 2018
Grant,

Thanks for the info and for Caelin thinking outside the box, so to speak. Would the upgraded Typhons have different performance or be a compromise in any way compared to the new-model Typhons?

Dave

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Grant,

Thanks for the info and for Caelin thinking outside the box, so to speak. Would the upgraded Typhons have different performance or be a compromise in any way compared to the new-model Typhons?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Upgraded Typhon's will be _identical_ in every way to a new unit. Physically, cosmetically and in terms of performance. The only part that may remain would be the face-plate from the original unit. Otherwise, its a complete gut and re-make.

Best regards,

Grant

supersax

May 22, 2018
Thanks Grant. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but what are Shunyata's recommendations as to the best two power cables to power the Typhon QR and what min/max length to power a) a Triton or b) a power amp (sorry for the multiple choice question)?

Dave

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks Grant. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but what are Shunyata's recommendations as to the best two power cables to power the Typhon QR and what min/max length to power a) a Triton or b) a power amp (sorry for the multiple choice question)?

Dave

I hope Zitron Anaconda is okay since that is what I will be using when my QR arrives Wednesday. :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good stuff Grant. Thanks for the update.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing