Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm. Interesting thread. Forty-five pages of missives prompted by ownership of Zu Definition 4 loudspeakers, that reveal the full scope of dysfunctions in the realm of hi-fi.

I have two completely separate Zu-based systems in my house. One is built about Zu Definition 4, the other now built around Zu Druid 6. I've had Zu speakers exclusively for 14 years and counting. The Definition-based system started with the 1st generation. I upgraded to Definition 2, and then to Definition 4, which has been stable, other than a cap upgrade to the supertweeter's high pass filter, for eight years thus far. I can now see the next Zu Definition on the horizon. The Druid-based system began with a 1st-generation pair that had been factory upgraded to "v2.5" status when I bought them used. That pair saw a series of impromptu improvements whenever Sean Casey visited Los Angeles, culminating in the final version for that 1st gen cabinet, Druid Mk 4-08. When Druid 5 became available they were installed here. And now Druid 6.

Similarly, I have been using Audion SET and PSET power amplification most of this span.

I'm amused to see people write an opinion venturing that Zu Definitions aren't suitable for listening to classical/orchestral/symphonic music. I consider the Definition series one of the few speakers that renders classical music faithfully. I chortle when I read commentary that Definition 4 is a "rough" speaker. Properly setup and driven, it is one of the smoothest in octave-to-octave balance and behavior consistency. I look cockeyed at claims that Definitions lack transparency.

I have been spending my own money on hifi since 1968, and did some tenure in high-end audio retail. I retain relationships in the hifi economy that give me listening access to most of what's available today and what has been available over the last 50 years. That's just context for things I write next.

Zu speakers take some getting accustomed to for many people. If you're like me, you get it within 3 minutes. Some people require 3 days, or 3 weeks, or 3 months. Or 3 years. Some people never get it. What's the reason for the assimilation period? Because from the lowest mid-fi to the highest of the high end, most people have been listening to music presented "wrong." And they think it's normal. There's hi-fi sound and then there's what music played on real instruments in real acoustic spaces and no electronic sound reinforcement sounds like. There are many culprits, but the single most assertive contributor to the bastardizing of music through hifi is crossovers in speakers. The phase anomalies resulting, the tonal thinning and dynamic choking at the crossover points, and the uneven dynamic and transient characteristics imposed by multiple, narrow-purpose, drivers creates a sound hifi consumers have come to hear as normal. But it's not natural. I'll give you a little more context, particularly relevant to the classical music issue and Zu. I grew up an hour west of Philadelphia. From 3rd grade through the end of high school, I attended Philadelphia Orchestra concerts -- Eugene Ormandy was still conducting and serving as music director. In college, I had the Pittsburgh Symphony nearby. In graduate school I had the Boston Symphony and Symphony Hall, which continued through the ten years I lived in the Boston area through throughout the 80s, and maintained a share of a pair of season tickets. I grew up with classical music, great orchestras and good-to-great halls. Until Zu Definitions, I did not listen to classical music very often on stereo systems because no matter how much power and dynamic range a system had, the presentation and tonality was entirely wrong on modern speakers.

The typical high-end speaker measures well but sounds incoherent. We used to accept this because full-range or nearly-full range speakers simply did not sound tonally authentic, or dynamically authentic, in sizes that can be sensibly used domestically. Like everyone else, I had to own and listen to crossover-based speakers for most of my time spending money in this interest, so I generally looked for the simplest. I had two early revelations about the evils of crossovers and multi-drivers speakers. One was on hearing the Quad ESL(57) for the first time in 1970. Yes, it has crossovers. But the Quad ESL crossover uses mostly simple resistors working with the intrinsic capacitance of the panels to yield a 1st order slope, and the panels are by design, materials and characteristics the same. Dynamic range was limited, and the Quad ESL is quite directional. But within its dynamic limits and the listening position the design allows, coherence was not only striking but the speaker created a "lens of authenticity" not found anywhere else at the time, other than the KLH Nine. I have owned both of these in the past. The second revelation about coherence came a few years later when I was in college. There was a Jensen speaker factory nearby. I was working in one of the early true high-end audio emporiums at the birth of what we now call high-end, and had a customer who was an engineer at the Rola-Jenson factory. Their main output was automotive speakers. One day he brought in a speaker he built. It was a personal project, so just a structural prototype, rough-looking but functionally complete. It used a single Jensen 6x9" full range car stereo speaker with whizzer cone, on a very broad, square baffle and a folded vent structure. Consider it cheap, cheerful, and *early* iteration of what we see today in the Voxativ Ampeggio Due. Without the gloss black paint and painstaking craftsmanship! This was 1975. He wanted to put it up against our Dahlquists, Quads, Magneplanar Tympani III-A, etc. So we wired it up to an Audio Research Dual 76a and let 'er rip. The designer custom-built the motor in each driver, to handle more clean power. Otherwise, these were simple paper-cone car speakers, the cheapest 6x9 Jensen made.

It didn't matter that other speakers had greater frequency bandwidth. None of them had the coherence and sheer organic glory of this home-built using little oval drivers. The engineer wasn't claiming he'd beaten Quads, Dahlquists, Tympanies, KLH Nines, etc. His point to make was that hi-fi had been heading down the wrong road with crossover-intensive, complex, multi-driver speakers. It wasn't long after that when the abomination of the Infinity IRS showed how right that Jensen engineer was. Then we got the wretched Duntech Sovereign in the '80s.

I wasn't happy about it, but it took 29 more years until I could get coherence, scale, tonal authenticity, dynamic authenticity, burstiness and amp friendliness from a loudspeaker from a company named Zu. Has there been an evolution since then? You bet. My first gen Definitions were a little bright and at high SPLs, a bothersome cabinet talk kicked in. The first Druids had a soft top end, a trifle of shout, tilted to tonal warmth, and had limited lateral scale. But I had built two systems, so I didn't listen to highly scaled music on Druids, and I didn't expect the same sense of solo performer focus on Definitions. Since then, the two models have steadily shown iterative convergence of their relative strengths.

Net today is, there isn't a single crossover speaker I consider listenable from the standpoint of "would I own it?". Even simple crossover-based speakers like a Devore fail to achieve sufficient coherence to sound musically authentic. A Magico or Wilson fails utterly, regardless of their other strengths. Zu Definition delivers an authentic octave-to-octave top-to-bottom balance. The speaker Marc and I use presents music holistically. And having heard Sean Casey's tour-de-force to-date, the Dominance, and knowing what he has in his mind for further refinement of Zu musicality, I know that as new developments enable him to, he will deliver further aural nuance in a musically-convincing way, that doesn't set backwards any of the essential attributes he has delivered thus far.

Generally, the bulk of criticisms I hear people direct toward Zu are more a product of cabinet "talk" than of the full range driver. In Zu, the whole speaker evolves and the cabinet gets at least as much (and usually more) attention from Sean as the FRD. The Definition 4 cabinet design is now approaching 10 years old, 8+ years in production. Druid has been through two complete cabinet composition and construction revisions in that time. The new Druid 6 is a thorough re-thinking of Zu cabinet materials and methods. The driver is improved, but when the Druid 6 cabinet composition and construction methods are applied to the next generation Definition, you will hear (and see) why it is far better for a Definition 4 owner to stay in the Zu realm and progress to a successor. Depending on means, that could me just moving to a newer Definition. Or it could mean moving up to additional models that will debut in time. Because if you move outside Zu to satisfy some itch, you will give up the essence of coherence + tonal authenticity + spatial & dynamic scale that makes Zu musically convincing, and nearly everything else not so much.

There is a disease in audiophilia I call "the hungry ear." Post-1965 recording practices and the illusory chasing of flat frequency response have fixated most of the hifi consuming population on "event detail" you don't actually hear in any natural situation. Hungry ear syndrome puts your ear in the throat of the singer, but you lose the resonance pipe of the human body. Hungry ear tickles you with a plucked string ratio of transient-to-tone that overplays the former to sacrifice the latter. Hungry ear syndrome separates massed voices and instruments into atomistic projections you would not hear in a performance. It is seeing individual trees and not at all the forest. Hungry ear syndrome is something most vendors in this business are happy to indulge. And we get clinical, dissected music desiccated of tone as a result.

OK, everyone who thinks that is normal and preferable has 98% of the hifi industry's offerings to choose from; and some of the most expensive gear -- especially speakers -- in the business deliver just that. Go ahead and buy it! The experience of most Zu customers -- and I don't mean audio nervosa types -- is that convincing musicality starts with the Zu speaker that works with your budget and space, and then the rest of your audio dollars then go to the right upstream chain. With a Zu speaker, the amp/speaker interface and combination is critical. The amp does not see a crossover. There are SET, push-pull tube, OTL, bi-polar transistor and Class D options that work well. At 101db/w/m combined with very high power handling, you have tremendous range for amplifier preferences. No Zu customer has ever blown a Zu FRD in the field. Yet the burst and speed and dynamism they can deliver from 20 watts or 1200 watts compete with horns, without forcing their flaws on you too.

So, go listen in Marc's room. Make your commentaries (if he wants them). Whatever you don't like may or may not be the speaker at all. But if your suggestion is a crossover-intensive, multi-drivers loudspeaker as some sort of "improvement," don't be surprised if such a suggestion is met with disinterest. We Zu owners have already been down that path and found it seriously compromised. We're not giving up coherence and convincing musicality to get whatever specific thing you think is lacking. Just the way it is.

Phil

Reactions: CGabriel

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is very, very interesting and thoughtfully written, Phil. I honestly am not sure what to make of some of your contentions.

I agree with you that a full-range driver is a good thing in concept. I like the idea of a full-range driver. I put my money on this opinion, as well, because the Pendragon is a single driver from 200Hz to 18kHz. So I truly am with you on that point.

But I have no way to evaluate your arguments against multi-way, dynamic driver loudspeakers. I know that I am not particularly sensitive to frequency or phase anomalies in crossovers. I don’t hear in multi-way conventional loudspeakers the problems that you describe. Obviously that does not mean that the problems are not there; it simply means that I do not hear them become I am not sensitive to them.

I also agree with you on your “hungry ear” concept. But that is a debate which is much more understandable and familiar to me and to us generally at WBF in terms of, for example, the Magico Q7 versus the Rockport Technologies Altair II or Lyra. But both of those systems are exactly the type of multi-way driver and complex cross-over designs you despise. So while two loudspeakers such as those often drive our frequent “one man’s wonderful detailedness is another man’s too fatiguing and analytical” debates, you say “a pox on both of those designs.”

I will be very eager and fascinated to read the thoughts of our senior members here who enjoy large, multi-way, dynamic driver loudspeaker systems and who have the technical knowledge to comment intelligently on your essay. (Obviously I am not one of them.)

To what do you ascribe the sonic sensation of “roughness” that I and many others hear from the Zu full-range driver in use across the Zu range of products (including in the Definition IV) prior to the improved driver featured in the Druid VI?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmmm. Interesting thread. Forty-five pages of missives prompted by ownership of Zu Definition 4 loudspeakers, that reveal the full scope of dysfunctions in the realm of hi-fi.
Net today is, there isn't a single crossover speaker I consider listenable from the standpoint of "would I own it?". Even simple crossover-based speakers like a Devore fail to achieve sufficient coherence to sound musically authentic. A Magico or Wilson fails utterly, regardless of their other strengths. Zu Definition delivers an authentic octave-to-octave top-to-bottom balance. The speaker Marc and I use presents music holistically. And having heard Sean Casey's tour-de-force to-date, the Dominance, and knowing what he has in his mind for further refinement of Zu musicality, I know that as new developments enable him to, he will deliver further aural nuance in a musically-convincing way, that doesn't set backwards any of the essential attributes he has delivered thus far.
Phil

Hi, Well that dug up an old memory--I went to the launch of the Dominance Speaker--I was impressed and asked approx when they would be available-

they did not give me a set time

But I knicked me a T shirt instead--ha!

A company with sense of humour --kudos!

Nice post Sir and well written and thoughtful:)

BruceD
Zu1.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Phil,

Very interesting post. I guess I will need to re-visit Zu's one more time. The last time I heard them, i was far from impressed. However, that was due to the VERY obvious cabinet colorations. Since these have apparently been tamed, I am going to need to listen again.

Since you have a point with speakers that utilize complex x-overs and multi drivers, and have thought highly of the original Quads in the past ( as have I), I wonder if you were to choose a second choice for your speaker, what that would be? (Assuming that Zu's were no longer an option).

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
>>..I like the idea of a full-range driver....So I truly am with you on that point.<<

When I first got exposed to this thing that came to be called "high-end audio," Absolute Sound was just getting started; J Gordon Holt was almost a decade into his campaign, and vendors were challenging the old guard. One thing that undermined the credibility of the high end authorities, in my mind, was that everything they recommended was not only complicated, but it failed to achieve the holistic projection and tone density I heard in my hometown's 1933 movie theater with its 300B amps and Altec speakers. High end audio also failed to capture the midrange authenticity of the mono paper speaker on the rear deck of the first cars I remember my Dad driving in the 1950s, with vacuum tube radios. There was something amiss in the theology.

So, yes, I recognized at an early age that a full range driver was desirable. But what was available for practical use domestically wasn't good enough in many other vital ways. With the singular exception of owning the original Dahlquist DQ10 1976 through 1977 (which was a 5-way, time-aligned speaker) I kept to simple 2-way systems. The Dahlquist was inefficient, but Jon Dahlquist used time-alignment and careful matching of what were actually cheap commodity drivers to render a complex speaker with a for-the-time reasonably holistic projection. Quad ESL coherence was his inspiration. I had one other beyond-2-way speaker in the '80s -- the venerable ProAc EBS. That was a 3-way. It needed some muscular amplification, which I had in the form of genuine Julius Futterman OTL monoblocks (not the NYAL copies from the '80s) I picked up from the man himself. The EBS drivers were well-matched for behavioral consistency, reinforced by a dense, resonance-managing baffle and general structure. Not the fulfillment of what I was seeking, but a step closer in the realm of the crossover-intensive speaker.

The idea of the successful full-range driver for convincing musicality in audio use was elusive and frankly just not reached before about 2005.

>>..I know that I am not particularly sensitive to frequency or phase anomalies in crossovers. I don’t hear in multi-way conventional loudspeakers the problems that you describe...<<

Of course you don't. The characteristics are normal to you. I submit that you will only become sensitized to them by living without them and then trying to go back. Unless you have an epiphany for other reasons, you are unlikely to hold the same view as me right now.

>>...you say “a pox on both of those designs."..."

I do. Some of these companies seem to be excessively capitalized to be truly creative and insightful. They use the combination of resources and engineering to endlessly work a flawed foundational commitment to modern conventional thinking to try to force natural sound out of misguided complexity. Wilson, Magico, YG, KEF, Dynaudio, McIntosh, Focal, et al all execute from the same error. What if all the engineering talent and capitalization funneled into overwrought, complex, multi-way, crossover-intensive speakers today were instead routed into making more perfect full-range driver transducers? Look what Zu achieved sonically by being a bootstrapped operation, ceaselessly refining their original concept. I don't care how much machine-shop prowess and resonance control engineering you put into a speaker -- if the foundational commitment is to multi-drivers and crossovers, you will not achieve holistic sound. But you could if you started from a different place.

>>...To what do you ascribe the sonic sensation of “roughness” that I and many others hear from the Zu full-range driver in use across the Zu range of products (including in the Definition IV) prior to the improved driver featured in the Druid VI?...<<

Define "roughness." I can't answer your question without knowing to what you refer. I don't doubt you hear something you object to. I just don't know what you mean. Tell me and I can venture an opinion for what you dislike. In any case, as you've heard with Druid 6, I think we can consider that problem addressed.

Phil

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
>>..i was far from impressed. However, that was due to the VERY obvious cabinet colorations. Since these have apparently been tamed, I am going to need to listen again....<<

No speaker is perfect and my 1st gen Definitions certainly were not. Their greatest flaw, freely admitted to by Sean Casey and Adam DeCaria when I pointed it out at the time, was that at high SPLs, the cabinet exhibited an unacceptable amount of ringing. It was too much undamped MDF talking. Def2 overcorrected this with a massively stiff and overdamped plywood cabinet. It gave Def2 a "dark" tonal cast. It was still a step up from the original, and could be hammered without squawking from the cab, but it took a step back in transparency and sheer aliveness compared to the over-lively original. Def4 leavened the mix, and the 12" downfire sub was a substantial improvement over the rear-facing 4x10" line array of the original. So it's getting a little long in the tooth after 8+ years. What hasn't? I will post comments on Druid 6 soon, but one thing I can say is that the cabinet techniques of Druid 6 applied to Definition "X" are going to step that architecture up to a new league in the ~$16,000 speaker pair.

>>I wonder if you were to choose a second choice for your speaker, what that would be? (Assuming that Zu's were no longer an option).,,

I'd certainly do some searching, but of what I know available right now, I'd either step down in cost to the diminuitive Audience ClairAudient 1+1 v2+ of v3 (latest) on the Osiris sand-filled stands sitting in a closet, or go JohnBlue JB8 with supertweeters, or I'd step up with cash for Voxativ Ampeggio Signature unless I consolidated to one system and sold some guitars to build around the extravagantly expensive Voxativ Ampeggio Due.

Once you assimilate Zu's approach to speakers, there aren't a lot of alternatives. All of these speakers are standouts for coherence with dynamic credibility, but none of them deliver on the even polar graph of necessary attributes that Sean Casey has achieved with the Zu FRD.

Speaking of guitars, one of the deeply convincing sonic aspects of Zu is that, in my experience, nothing, and I mean nothing in home hifi, reproduces the sound of electric guitar with the authenticity that Zu does live or via a recording. I have wired up a Druid to be driven by a tube guitar amp as well as compared its performance with electric guitar via recordings. It's true for acoustic guitars too, but electric guitar and accurately transmitting the total sound of the guitar, pickups, strings, player technique, amp, tubes, speaker and cab are especially difficult to get right. It's one of the most basic tests I use to evaluate hifi components or a system as a whole. Does a known electric guitar-player-amp-speaker configuration sound authentic? On crossover speakers, almost never. Zu, on the other hand, nails it.

Phil

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great post, Phil. A lot of what you said regarding zero crossover / full range was what first got me so excited about the Pnoe speaker. Still haven’t heard a speaker like the Pnoe that seems to capture my emotions (other than the massive vintage WE).

Best.

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I have read about the Pnoe line, but have not had any opportunity to hear them. By design, they should be solidly in the realm. The lower-half of their line has Zu-like pricing, and then the upper half reflects where Zu will supplement its mainstream lines. I will seek a Pnoe listen. -Phil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Phil, thanks for chiming in and expressing even more enthusiasm for Zu than I've managed to do in posting continually about Zu here in the last 5 years.

For me I was totally bowled over by the Zu sound in the first 5 mins of audition in 2008, and bought the demo pair. An upgraded model later, major mods to these, and a whole new system, cables, power delivery, and critically, new room, later (all in ten years), and I'm still w Zu.

And this is because the core DNA of their sound still appeals to me as strongly as it did on Day One.

However, the first 8 years of living w Zu day to day was in my old flat, and a more challenging acoustic you'd be hard pressed to find.

This meant that the goodness of Zu fought hard against a whole bunch of negatives.

Now I'm in the new space, so much of the complete Zu sound is able to come thru, and more and more gets revealed w every round of optimisation I perform.

I'm embarrassed to admit one aspect of the subs integration I'm only just getting right, the PEQ Frequency and Gain settings, and nailing these is opening up soundstage, depth and instrumental separation.

Better late than never LOL.

And I'm less and less even curious to look at alternatives now I'm nailing things.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Phil, nice post. Partly agree and partly not. Agree about the competition you are positioning Zu against. Marc doesn't like them, I don't like them either, and I would rather give up the hobby then owning one of them. Seriously. I can't listen to music through all that cross over confusion with that cabinet resonance.

However, when it comes to full range drivers, there are failures too. Voxativ ampeggio due, costing 100k and run in a private system were awful. The tone, staging, body and bass sounded all wrong.
http://zero-distortion.org/voxativ-ampeggio-due/

Sure... Now
http://zero-distortion.org/yamamura-horns/ This is my favorite system after Mike's, and is a crossover less horn

This is another equally good example
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...tations-to-all&p=505350&viewfull=1#post505350

It sounds right up there when run with 1w. Thomas Mayer 46 valves and progressively degrades as you add power and run up to 100w Ypsilon hybrids as done at Munich.

Both are extremely costly. Marc chose to go with a speaker that is much much lower in cost.

The most seamless sounding speaker I have heard has a pretty complex crossover, but the three way ribbons of apogees are just fantastically integrated. Also, I am referring to modded apogees with modern ribbons and high quality cross over components, not what you might have heard back in the 80s.

I also find hybrid Logans more seamless than the CLX. Theoretically that's a no no, but the lack of bass in the CLX makes you long for a proper full range speaker, and causes a break in the listening, while with the hybrids, you are seamless down to approx 300 Hz. Once your brain adjusts to that one crossed over woofer, it sounds relatively more seamless to the CLX where I am always focused on what it lacks. In other words, I would take the hybrids over the CLX any day.

A speaker with one full range driver and no crossovers, a linear tracking tonearm, and low noise digital being better than analog all sound good in theory. In practice, all are tougher to implement and cross overs and pivots are the easy way to go especially on a budget. The link above to the pnoe and the Vyger does show you a linear tracking arm and the cross over less full range driver, a system without capacitors and resistors, one that is extremely expensive, backed by a lot of experience, and if asked for alternatives in the commercial brands, I am sure the General (the owner of that system) will struggle. To give you an idea of the cost of that system, it is even more expensive than Marc's tweaks. Air tangent will probably be the General's next choice and that too is a rare expensive find.

Anyway, back to what the thread was about. It was not only about Zus. It was also about whether a ratio of spending ten times as much on tweaks makes the Zus sound like the yamamura. And plus, the owner bought it to listen to prog rock, not classical.

Are there better sounding Zu systems? Possibly. I heard one here and as I let Justin, Marc, and Keith know after that, I quite enjoyed it, though not something I would buy. And yes, the EAR amps can be improved on
http://zero-distortion.org/ptp-lenco-12-and-nottingham-dais/

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, we finally converged on one point, that my old room was pants (using a technical term rather than colloquialism).

You'll have to take my word for it things transformed here. No way would the Zus be for you, but they tick a lot more boxes.

And I'm still getting them right, currently properly integrating the subs.

But as w all spkrs that demonstrate a strong set of traits w the music you love most, they can be a compromise to other listeners not into that music.

FWIW, I now reach for classical lps ahead of my prog rock and compared to my old room w no transparency in the presentation spoiling classical enjoyment, I feel I'm missing out on v little in this regard in the new room. It's not as transparent as the best I've heard, but none of these "better" presentations do lower mids/upper bass tonal density and "shove" as well as the Zus. And hence the critical selling point of Zu still sells them to me more than the competition. And I can only be happier than ever that I'm getting those aspects of SQ that eluded me in the old space.

Re my spending choices on ancillisries, I'm past having to defend my decisions. Balanced power-dedicated lines-isolated power feed-bespoke CU-Furutech duplexes: creating massive calm, Stacore transformative effect on my tt, cables that handily perform well above their price point, have all been beyond worthwhile.

And I wouldn't have switched these funds to finance Apogees or horns away from Zu based on my experience to date, with my chosen situation of needing to fully energise a very large space w medium power tube amps.

My last word on my spending priorities.

Last edited:

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
What can I say? I've heard Voxativ Due sound poorly and I've heard them sound stellar. Setups were radically different. If I owned them, I can get them to sound stellar. Yamamura horns? It doesn't matter what they sound like (which can be excellent) they are impractical for 99.9% of domestic applications.

I did Apogees circa 1988. Not as seamless as a Quad ESL, not as seamless as a Zu Druid 6 or Definition any version; but capable of more dynamic range with a little less vicious directionality than a Quad ESL. Problem? The amps that could drive them weren't remotely acceptable musically. That can be improved somewhat today, compared to then, when the default combination was Apogee + Krell. No thanks. I've since heard reworked, modern Apogees and yes, better integrated. But not crossoverless integrated. You either hear it or you don't care to. You can still hear the pinch points. Not a starter for people like me.

We're not remotely on the same page wrt Logans. For reasons obscure here, I had considerable visibility into that company and full access to all its speakers, at deep discounts. I didn't pull trigger and never wanted to. The crossover dysfunction always got in the way of the ES panel consistency, and NONE of their speakers has ever successfully integrated with their dynamic subs, IMO.

>>A speaker with one full range driver and no crossovers, a linear tracking tonearm, and low noise digital being better than analog all sound good in theory. In practice, all are tougher to implement and crossovers and pivots are the easy way to go especially on a budget.<<

Crossovers are easy, but Zu has crossoverless speakers down to $999. At that price, crossovers look lazy, not easy. Zu does not yet push a speaker on you with one full range driver alone. It supplements its 38Hz - 12.5kHz FRD with a supertweeter, and in the case of Definition and Dominance, a sub-bass module. The super and the sub are blended in on high pass and low pass filters respectively. The amp doesn't see a dividing network. But the FRD is covering 90% of the music spectrum. When a FRD can successfully cover ~16Hz - 22kHz without supplemental drivers, Zu will give you that. No one is there yet. I'll take 90% full range in the meantime.

I collaborated with Lou Souther on the final design of the Souther Linear Arm, long since acquired by and currently sold in upgraded form by Clearaudio. I originally took Lou to market with his tonearm, and it was a revelation in its day. I'm fully aware of both the difficulty of successfully delivering on a true linear tonearm, and creating a musically credible FRD-based speaker. I haven't heard the pnoe, but from a design standpoint my expectations are favorable. The Vyger is a conventional current approach to linear tracking and has its liabilities along with advantages. For the record, despite having worked on the Souther/Clearaudio's original linear arm, I reverted to pivoted arms for reasons that are fodder for a completely different thread.

I'm not tracking your point. Net is, I know the expense of what you refer to. This is not relevant to me.

I am not Marc and Marc is not me. We don't have exactly the same objectives nor preferences for music in our homes. But I know what prog rock sounds like on Zu Definitions, and I know what classical, chamber, rock, punk, classic rock, jazz, alt-rock, Americana, Chinese, Japanese, Flamenco, Taiko drummers and Gregorian Chants among other sound like on Zu speakers. My music listening is omnivorous, as a browse through both my vinyl and digital collections would evidence. I don't choose Zu for one genre. I choose it for all of them. And so does Marc.

I can't point someone to every owner's Zu-based system and say, there lies the definitive sound. Maybe; maybe not. I can invite someone to hear my Zu systems and interpret their reaction(s) in an informed way. EAR amps would not be my first choice for powering a Zu speaker. Nor would EAR be my last choice. I'm not sure what you're getting at there. What I do know is that I would not send a Zu owner down Marc's hyper-tweak path, but I am sure he has his reasons and is willing to make the investment. But somehow casting aspersions on Marc's tweak path to try to make a point that the Yamamura would reach the same result if the tweak expenses were foregone and allocated to Yamamura is a highly dubious proposition. The Yamamura isn't even deployable in a practical sense in Marc's room. And....it's still a big-ass horn, which isn't my idea of perfection regardless.

Get Marc to invite you to his house and you can hear his particular implementation. If you're in Los Angeles, come to my house. It doesn't matter whether Zu is "something you would buy." What I've done is outline for everyone why the likelihood that someone like you wouldn't buy it is irrelevant to our reasons for remaining committed.

Phil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Phil, I do have a couple of reservations on the Zu sound that I'm in the process of addressing, and it's these that Ked objected to when he did visit my old space.

However he was hearing the space more than the spkrs, and I can be sure of this since the Zus are as whole different animal here in the new room.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Phil... My point on Logans was not that they were properly integrated... In fact they aren't... My point was that I would choose the not so well integrated hybrid over the full range CLX. Stressing the point that full range crossover less drivers have issues

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Phil, it would be fascinating for Sean of Zu to work w the BD full range driver that Pnoe utilises.

I believe it's something like 30-40Hz all the way up to 30kHz.

I'm sure Sean could integrate a fantastic sub woofer solution and interesting cabinet.

Unfortunately the new TOTL versions or these drivers on their own cost close to the price of a pr Dominances.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think the BD3 and 4 are 20-80,000

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Bill, and almost £1 per Hz LOL.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Phil
Thank you for your comprehensive and thoughtful contributions,
I have heard Marc's systems on three occasions over about 4-5 years. First in his previous abode which he accepts was "pants" so I'll say no more about that.
I last heard it at the end of June and it was sounding better, but to my ears still very ordinary.
The qualities you ascribe to the Zus were simply not there to my ears and my conclusion was that it was the speakers that were holding back his system.
Yesterday in an OT post on another thread I suggested to Marc that the deficiencies I and others have noted after hearing his system could be due to the room and that he should consider partitioning his 48ft long room to produce a somewhat shorter listening area.
My experience of Zu speakers is limited to Marc's system so if the speakers are not the problem then there is certainly a problem elsewhere.
Your views as a long time user of Zus on that proposition may be helpful to us all and Marc in particular.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, you'll have to take my word on things that I had v poor replacement tubes in my preamp on the day you visited.

I had mentioned to you that my correct tubes were failing and there was too much tubes rush to listen in any meaningful way.

The tubes I used on the day were
1- not run in
2- very ordinary indeed (standard production Teslas v the 1976 NOS Voskhod Rockets I've installed subsequently).

I should have delayed your visit (again), but didn't, my bad.

Phil has already been so helpful to me
1- reiterating why we both love Zu (easy to lose track of in a sea of Zu skepticism)
2- invaluable help in further setup optimisation, incl some subs settings I've never been able to nail down before.

Barry, I get it you don't like them.
Why don't you speak to Fraser, he has a good take on the Zus and admires them a lot, he'll explain their "fatal attraction" to devotees like me.

They press the buttons in my soul that multi driver tower speakers off high power SS don't.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing