Vyger Atlantis - my new turntable :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hmmmm … I can appreciate your point , however the functions you refer to are not exactly unknown in the history of higher end turntable design and production , for instance I certainly wouldn’t consider a linear tracking tonearm to be particularly complex instrument !
One mans complex might be considered another mans feature rich.
Beg to differ. A good linear tracking arm is very complex and difficult to get right. Probably the best one ever is practically unknown on this forum and comes from Pioneer from the end of the Japanese DD golden age. It is closer to a maglev train than to a tonearm.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Beg to differ. A good linear tracking arm is very complex and difficult to get right. Probably the best one ever is practically unknown on this forum and comes from Pioneer from the end of the Japanese DD golden age. It is closer to a maglev train than to a tonearm.

awsmone owns it http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PL-L1.html

That said how you rated it best without listening to the others beats me. I haven’t heard it

i don’t disagree LTs are tough to implement, I only like the vyger of the ones I have heard, otherwise I like pivots. Plus, the cartridge and the analog path set up around it is more important than for pivots that I have heard.

Still need to explore Schroeder LT (pivoted tangential) more which sounded great in a couple of systems including compares to SAT but very different sound to vyger. Like LTs it does excel in the inner grooves

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hahaha,

- You said Maglev…. :D !!!

• Haha
Reactions: morricab

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK

That said how you rated it best without listening to the others beats me. I haven’t heard it

i don’t disagree LTs are tough to implement, I only like the vyger of the ones I have heard, otherwise I like pivots. Plus, the cartridge and the analog path set up around it is more important than for pivots that I have heard.

Still need to explore Schroeder LT (pivoted tangential) more which sounded great in a couple of systems including compares to SAT but very different sound to vyger. Like LTs it does excel in the inner grooves
Well when you come up to visit the General, do pop in to mine and hear my LT, you just might edit this posting!

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well when you come up to visit the General, do pop in to mine and hear my LT, you just might edit this posting!

Goldmund ref? Awesome. Yes another person near Oxford owns it with tune audio anima, though I wish he would not run his cartridge through the Devialet. That’s the only one I heard. He is a retired F1 engineer and also worked for Garrard in the old days, he is quite convinced about LTs. One thing for sure, his old LPs are excellent in terms of not having groove wear.
Are you running it with the Goldmund arm or Kuzma airline

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Goldmund ref? Awesome. Yes another person near Oxford owns it with tune audio anima, though I wish he would not run his cartridge through the Devialet. That’s the only one I heard. He is a retired F1 engineer and also worked for Garrard in the old days, he is quite convinced about LTs. One thing for sure, his old LPs are excellent in terms of not having groove wear.
Are you running it with the Goldmund arm or Kuzma airline
That would be Derek, i once sent him some oil down, he highly rates the Goldmund t3f LT. mine is here but unused for some 15 yrs or so. I use the airline and find it very easy to use, the only thing I replaced in all this time is the air/moisture filters that cost around £ 80 !

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That would be Derek, i once sent him some oil down, he highly rates the Goldmund t3f LT. mine is here but unused for some 15 yrs or so. I use the airline and find it very easy to use, the only thing I replaced in all this time is the air/moisture filters that cost around £ 80 !
No Frank.

i know an old audiophile named Derek did not know he had Goldmund

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I said probably because I haven't heard it. But from the tech and design I think it is the best idea I have seen for a LT arm.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Probably the best one ever is practically unknown on this forum and comes from Pioneer from the end of the Japanese DD golden age. It is closer to a maglev train than to a tonearm.
I installed a cartridge to a friend's Pioneer L1 a couple of years ago. It's quality is great. Amazing piece of technology lying inside the turntable. Soundwise not so great.

here is a short video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17bbtWKO-QcLsPGBMPq1oENV3wNtkbtTt/view?usp=share_link

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 13.24.15.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 12.57.17.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 13.23.39.jpg IMG_1845.jpeg Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 12.57.36.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
For me the mitsubishi lt 30 a real good sounding turntable or the rabco st 7/8 without eletronic. 2521143.jpg
A nice piece of aluminum if the tonearm runs cleanly and is well adjusted. great sounding
audio_1977-01_HK-tt-1.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I installed a cartridge to a friend's Pioneer L1 a couple of years ago. It's quality is great. Amazing piece of technology lying inside the turntable. Soundwise not so great.

here is a short video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17bbtWKO-QcLsPGBMPq1oENV3wNtkbtTt/view?usp=share_link

View attachment 123293 View attachment 123291 View attachment 123292 View attachment 123294 View attachment 123295
Based on the additional gear shown, I am not sure the so-so sound was the fault of the TT...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Not really in the same league of design and construction.
That may be true, but as with any hifi component, the most expensive and complex is not always the best in the end.
With a good cartridge you would be surprised at what comes out.

Reactions: matakana

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing