What artist do you like that you are (almost) embarrassed to admit?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not embarrassed by it but most would not guess it....Madonna.

I'm a fan of her leading to the Virgin Tour in Detroit. It was a bit downhill after that for me.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Was running through my record shelf the other night. Have a couple of Andy Gibb albums which I played a lot in college, and, the Stylistics, Greatest Hits Volumes 1 and 2. :eek:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I liked early Madonna. She is such a major personality. Being her fan has such anonymity to it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I like Bread.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
OK I said it, Lady Gaga especially when performing with Tony Bennett

I've seen Madonna many times in concert.

Big +1 on this and thank you for the reminder. When I heard Lady Gaga's work with Tony Bennett I was amazed
at the quality of her voice and what she had to offer that never comes through on her pop work, just wish she
would record more of this type of work!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Big +1 on this and thank you for the reminder. When I heard Lady Gaga's work with Tony Bennett I was amazed
at the quality of her voice and what she had to offer that never comes through on her pop work, just wish she
would record more of this type of work!

+2 Yep, they do sound great together.

As for me, there is a MTV Unplugged Katy Perry performance out there which is surprisingly good - and so I'll have to admit to liking some Katy Perry... as embarrassing as that sounds.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lady Gaga. Despite her unfortunate name... Katy Perry. I categorically deny listening to Bon Appetite repeatedly on you tube video with headphones.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
DeBarge
Herb Alpert
Scissor Sisters/Jake Shears
Go Go's

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
+1...one of my favorite voices.

Any takers for Christina Aguilera?

She has amazing pipes. I really love the songs "Bound To You" and "Beautiful". Too often she tries to impress everyone with her amazing vocal chops at the expense of the song. When she doesn't do that, she can be highly enjoyable to listen to.

Ken

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I love her voice and singing ability as well. Agree with Ken that she overdoes it a lot, but great talent.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I love her voice and singing ability as well. Agree with Ken that she overdoes it a lot, but great talent.

Thanks Ian! Any luck deciding on a preamp? I haven't been following the threads lately.

Best,
Ken

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks Ian! Any luck deciding on a preamp? I haven't been following the threads lately.

Best,
Ken

Currently vying for my affections are the dartzeel NHS-18 (series 1) and the Conrad Johnson GAT (series 2). Both are great preamps. The GAT has some issues for me but I'm awaiting an SRA platform's arrival before I make any conclusions.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
She has amazing pipes. I really love the songs "Bound To You" and "Beautiful". Too often she tries to impress everyone with her amazing vocal chops at the expense of the song. When she doesn't do that, she can be highly enjoyable to listen to.

Ken
Christina teases Ellen.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Currently vying for my affections are the dartzeel NHS-18 (series 1) and the Conrad Johnson GAT (series 2). Both are great preamps. The GAT has some issues for me but I'm awaiting an SRA platform's arrival before I make any conclusions.

Hi Ian,

Wow, two top of the line preamps you have there. I can’t imagine going wrong either way with your choice. Best of luck and let me know how it turns out.

Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Interesting Mr. General.

I feel totally differently, one heck of a great classical music composers of all existence.
Some of his symphonies can transport me inside an infinity of bright stars of the universe and even exploring few black holes to exit on the other side of music ecstasy, like a brand new universe's particle.

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/mozart/best-mozart-music-songs/

That's me though; so I was quite surprised by your mentioning of Mozart as an admission of music embarrassment. So far away to me from being embarrassed.

* I cannot name a single artist musician/singer/composer who I like and that I am almost embarrassed to admit, none. And I thought long and hard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hi MadFloyd,

FWIW, while I absolutely respect whatever decision you make...I will say that every single owner of the CJ GAT I know has found significant benefit in isolation of the GAT. SRAs are highly recommended, and in my case HRS M3X underneath with HRS nimbus couplers and then 3 large HRS DPX damping plates on top, and even the EAT tube dampers.

In my own system, there was a solidity and firmness of note that 'held' notes completely which did not quite happen, particularly around complex passages without isolation. The bass firmed up, particularly upper bass. There was a sense of 'resolve' and solidity of its presentation with isolation which seemed a bit 'weaker in signal' and also a bit less sure-footed.

Hope that helps and do post when you've got it in.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dug up another one, I was a fan in the 80s as they toured the city and my siblings wanted to watch their concert and I obliged. Air Supply, guys from down under. I thought they were a 'rock group' in those days. :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I never thought Air Supply was a rock group, but my father worked for Arista when the group became popular, and I saw them in concert a couple of times. A couple of the songs had very pretty lyrics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing