What is the benefit of very expensive DAC´s?

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
(RE: " ....but I have taken exhaustive measurements of my mains and carried many listening tests with many types of equipment, including several power conditioners.")

Let's hear more about these tests; succinctly of course. Such Exhaustive Tests must be logged -in chart form. Please share.

Thanks,

pj

May 30, 2010
Portugal
No need to be testy, ms. But since you bring it up, let's chat some more.

What "tests" have you done on your AC Mains ?

Listening impressions aside, AC Mains power wreaks havoc (I didn't wish to offend the sensitive with caps -lol) with low-level circuits/ amplification, particularly impacting digital gear -as listening sessions bear out.

And I will say it again because it's valid -and should never be under-appreciated; It's unwise to assume we have "great" AC (or it can't be bettered, because it can).

pj
Spectral distortion up to 50 kHz, noise spectra up to 250 MHz, impedance of line and low frequency fluctuations. For curiosity I also checked the spectra of wow and flutter of the line - an interesting test. When we carry proper measurements we can have some assurances, but no all. Sorry I am here to have a good moment debating experiences and direct opinions, not magazine and internet reviews. BTW, European mains distribution system has different characteristics from US mains.

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
ms: Great. Please share (some of) the screen shots (or video) of these 'spectral' distortions (up to 50 KHz. no less) and the discovered noise spectra (up to 250 KHz.)

(btw: 'spectral' components refers to a 'spectrum -over a defined (frequency) bandwidth; your 'Distortion' Spectra and 'Noise' spectra can be seen as one/same thing)

Anyway, I'm confident many WBF members would love to see what you've discovered. I know I would.

To do any meaningful measurements on AC power line quality, we require 24/7 monitoring -with, of course the necessary equipment, monitoring and recording elements. Please post a link (to your measurements).

Can you share those with us ?

Thanks,

pj

Last edited: