What's Your Experience with the Latest Versions of the 12AX7

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ok everyone. Who's tried the Chinese and/or Russian versions in their equipment? What's your verdict on these new issues and how do they compare to some NOS tubes such as those from Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens, etc.?

Interesting thread. Just as you found the mother lode in LPS, I got lucky with my 12AX7. I got the Holy Grail. NOS Telefunken circa 1964 ECC803 gold pins and diamond bottom. Weren't cheap but good for 10000 hours (I hope :) )

I use old Telefunkens sourced from Dynaco preamps and tuners. They seem to last forever.

I have some Dynaco/Teles lying around too but haven't tried them. Are you using them in amp, line stage, phono or CD? The only problem I find is that the NOS aren't necessarily the quietest if one needs them for a phono application.

What's amazing is how many of the "vintage" gear used Teles as stock and now we look upon those tubes as worth more than gold!!!!

Myles-I don't find it amazing that so much vintage gear used Telefunken tubes. The manufacturers knew they were great tubes then and the prices weren't outrageous like they are now.

Mark

I have some Dynaco/Teles lying around too but haven't tried them. Are you using them in amp, line stage, phono or CD? The only problem I find is that the NOS aren't necessarily the quietest if one needs them for a phono application.

I just realized that I am only using one Dynaco / Telefunken right now. It is in a power amp. I am using NOS Bugle Boys in my phono preamp and they seem to be reasonably quiet but I am not currently using a moving coil cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing