What's your favourite LIVE!!! Album?

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Batik; The Old Man and the Sea best sounding Sound Liaison download?

I guess the Sound Liaison guys has listened to my plea.:D

The new album with Batik is one long suite.The studio audience does not start applauding until after the last song. And it is by the way their best sounding album or...?
and cheapest $15 for a flac download.
http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/110-batik-flac

Yes I have that one too and agree with you that ''the only downfall of the album is the applauding between tunes'' , same goes for the now often bespoken album from the same company, recorded in the same series, the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' download/album from Carmen Gomes, but less for the Benny Green album mentioned above.
The music that Miss Gomes and band is making and indeed Paul Berner too, is somehow so calming and soothing that you don't want to be taken away from that state of mind that the music puts you in.
The Sound Liaison people has just released a new album,''After Silence'' which has been recorded in the same studio but without an audience. ''After Silence'' has the same effect but without the ''waking you up'' between the tunes. And the trumpet player Andre Heuvelman is incredible, where does Sound Liaison find these musicians!?

and they are giving away 2 downloads as well:
http://www.soundliaison.com/;)

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Keith Jarrett, Live

Review by Scott Yanow
The six-CD box set Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note fully documents three nights (six complete sets from June 3-5, 1994) by his trio with bassist Gary Peacock and drummer Jack DeJohnette. Never mind that this same group has already had ten separate releases since 1983; this box is still well worth getting. The repertoire emphasizes (but is not exclusively) standards, with such songs as "In Your Own Sweet Way," "Now's the Time," "Oleo," "Days of Wine and Roses," and "My Romance" given colorful and at times surprising explorations. Some of the selections are quite lengthy (including a 26-and-a-half-minute version of "Autumn Leaves") and Jarrett's occasional originals are quite welcome; his 28-and-a-half-minute "Desert Sun" reminds one of the pianist's fully improvised Solo Concerts of the 1970s. Throughout the three nights at the Blue Note, the interplay among the musicians is consistently outstanding. Those listeners concerned about Jarrett's tendency to "sing along" with his piano have little to fear for, other than occasional shouts and sighs, he wisely lets his piano do the talking.

Reactions: Chicago

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
My favorite live jazz record is Jazz Goes to College by the Dave Brubeck Quartet from 1953. This was the quartet comprising Brubeck, Desmond, Bob Bates on bass and Joe Dodge on drums. At the time the group was attracting enthusiasm on college gigs and Brubeck would soon make the cover of Time magazine. The album features some lovely playing, particularly "Balcony Rock" with its beautiful closing theme, extraordinary musical communication between Brubeck and Desmond in which the one finishes off the other's thoughts, and some driving jazz, in "I Want to be Happy", when Dodge tries to bring the house down with a drum solo. Maybe that's because of the two-fingered whistler in the audience who thinks he's at a football game. However, considering the crowd's enthusiasm and the quality of the music, this is the quartet as a band on the way up. Strangely enough, I was playing this CD on the car stereo the night I heard that Brubeck had died.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
My favorite live jazz record is Jazz Goes to College by the Dave Brubeck Quartet from 1953. This was the quartet comprising Brubeck, Desmond, Bob Bates on bass and Joe Dodge on drums. At the time the group was attracting enthusiasm on college gigs and Brubeck would soon make the cover of Time magazine. The album features some lovely playing, particularly "Balcony Rock" with its beautiful closing theme, extraordinary musical communication between Brubeck and Desmond in which the one finishes off the other's thoughts, and some driving jazz, in "I Want to be Happy", when Dodge tries to bring the house down with a drum solo. Maybe that's because of the two-fingered whistler in the audience who thinks he's at a football game. However, considering the crowd's enthusiasm and the quality of the music, this is the quartet as a band on the way up. Strangely enough, I was playing this CD on the car stereo the night I heard that Brubeck had died.

I received this one from Japan this week, Dave Brubeck Quartet - - - Live At Carnegie Hall a live album from 1963 i bought this double album set for Joe Morello's drum solo on track #4 of disc #2 - - - Castillian drums both albums are very good but this track is realy something special and the Japanese pressing is first class like always.

Brubeck Dave     At Carnegie Hall.jpg

Last edited:

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I received this one from Japan this week, Dave Brubeck Quartet - - - Live At Carnegie Hall a live album from 1963 i bought this double album set for Joe Morello's drum solo on track #4 of disc #2 - - - Castillian drums both albums are very good but this track is realy something special and the Japanese pressing is first class like always.

View attachment 15583

I have that LP set but still prefer the 1953 concert, to me fresher with great contrapuntal playing by Brubeck and Desmond. Brubeck was pleased to add Morello to the band, but Morello resisted getting minor billing. So Brubeck promised him a big solo and during the solo Morello noticed that Desmond had walked off the stage. After the concert, Desmond told Brubeck that it was either Morello or him. Brubeck said, Sorry Paul but Morello's staying. Desmond settled down but he and Morello barely spoke.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

View attachment 15583

Did you get some new glasses?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

24bit

Jun 14, 2013

Kefas

May 21, 2014

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
100% agreed. Great album.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, Hope is an incredible album.

I heard this track on a full on Arrakis with 3 VTL Siegfried 2s...pretty remarkable!

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
I guess the Sound Liaison guys has listened to my plea.:D

The new album with Batik is one long suite.The studio audience does not start applauding until after the last song. And it is by the way their best sounding album or...?
and cheapest $15 for a flac download.
http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/110-batik-flac

I don't know about ''best sounding'' I think that the Paul Berner and the Carmen Gomes and the Andre Heuvelman are equally good sounding but of course the music on those albums is different, but any how, it is indeed one of the best sounding downloads in my collection together with the 3 just mentioned.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Gene Harris - Alley Cats

Looking through the responses of the past few years here, I've spotted many of my personal favorites. I highly recommend you check out Gene Harris, Alley Cat, recorded live performance at Dimitrou's Jazz Alley, Seattle. I've heard several concerts at that venue and this recording is a warm sounding excellent representation of what I remember. Gene Harris was a gift; no other way to describe his always soulful, sometimes powerful, sometimes delicate, playing. He always seemed to perform with equally talented musicians and this one is a good example. The band rocks! Check out the three vocal tracks! Killer. PCM recording, 16/44.1 on CD sounds great! Listening to it as I write this tonight.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Eric Bibb Live at FIP is another good 'un!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing