where to next from AMG Viella V12

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'd consider a Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0.

I second that recommendation.

With regard to desiring a "more natural organic even warm sound" - without meaning to sound cheeky I'll say the Monaco will give you what is on your records. As a former editor of mine said of the Monaco: "It is a turntable for listeners who can handle the truth from their records -- who want exactly that, in fact." Do you want a turntable that will modify what is on your records so they will sound warm? Or do you want to play records with natural organic sound? Granted every audio component has its own character; some impose less of themselves on the music than others.

I think someone said to opt for a neutral turntable and 'arm and I agree with that. Let your cartridges bring different 'flavors'.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Interested in this thread, as currently have an AMG Viella. As and when I'm ready to upgrade, my first demo will be the Parabolica / Monaco.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I believe Marten use Rui Borges turntable (Pendulum model I think but not sure) in their own demo room so could be worth looking into that as well and perhaps contact Marten for their impressions.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i currently use an AMG Viella V12 with the turbo version of the 12inch arm - cart is a DS Audio Master 1

i am just thinking if i was to upgrade my TT where would i go? I love the sound of my current set up but is it possible to get more?

I dont want a more analytical detailed sound, but prefer a more natural organic even warm sound. I listened to a Kronos the other day but didnt like it. Not sure what to audition next - any thoughts warmly appreciated.

not sure what it is you want

I own a Monaco, its not naturally warm , you get whats on the record and the arm, cartridge and phono
add any colour not the TT
it just turns records ;)

Perhaps a Kuzma M?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
not sure what it is you want

I own a Monaco, its not naturally warm , you get whats on the record and the arm, cartridge and phono
add any colour not the TT
it just turns records ;)

Perhaps a Kuzma M?

Well as an owner of a Kuzma M, I would not recommend it to someone looking for a warm sound. Incidentally however, I have heard Kuzma M and Kuzma XLDC side by side with the AMG Viella. I'd take the M over the Viella everyday. I was browsing the latest Stereophile recommended component list today and noticed Fremer said the M doesn't have the bloom of other tables he'd heard. Perhaps that's why I like my M as much as I do. I think he meant that as a negative, however. LoL.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I believe Marten use Rui Borges turntable (Pendulum model I think but not sure) in their own demo room so could be worth looking into that as well and perhaps contact Marten for their impressions.

Kuzma M with Marten here... Love the two together.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Spoke with Mark Dohmann today - going to have a listen to his Helix 1 TT during the week. Should be exciting!

riwin_h

Sep 23, 2014
another vote for Vyger .

I have experience to setup : AMG Viella V12 + Benz LP-S & Vyger Indian IV + Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement + Continuum Caliburn + Lyra Atlas.
Vyger is one of the best turntable i've ever heard . I think you will like it since it has anything that you prefer .

Cheers...

Reactions: bonzo75

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Vertere

Reactions: Hyperion

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
another vote for Vyger .

I have experience to setup : AMG Viella V12 + Benz LP-S & Vyger Indian IV + Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement + Continuum Caliburn + Lyra Atlas.
Vyger is one of the best turntable i've ever heard . I think you will like it since it has anything that you prefer .

Cheers...

Hi do you have Vyger now? What's the rest of your system?

riwin_h

Sep 23, 2014
Hi do you have Vyger now? What's the rest of your system?
Hi bonzo75 ,

Actually i helped my friend to setup his new turntable . His system consists of :
- Full of current flagship Soulution systems (CDP as CDT , DAC , PRE , 701 monos)
- Magico Q7 spkrs
- Spkr cables : Kubala Sosna Elation
- Interconnect : Ansuz Diamond + Kubala Elation
- Power cords : Ansuz Diamond
- Line conditioner : few pcs. PS Audio P10
- Turntable + tonearm : Vyger Indian Sig IV
- phono cart : Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement
- phono stage : Tom Evans Mastergroove SR
- phono cable (from turntable to phono stage) : Vyda silver
- interconnect from phono stage to preamp : custom Tom Evans

Cheers,
Riwin - Indonesia

Reactions: bonzo75

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Personally I think one arm and one cart is silly. It is good only for people who have multiple TT set ups and can, when they get bored, afford to get rid of the TT and buy another one. Otherwise at least two arms minimum are required.

Why do you subscribe to the different flavors of sound theory?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why do you subscribe to the different flavors of sound theory?

I just accept that we are audiophiles. It means two things, one is we will eventually be curious about trying another sound especially with a cart and arm, and 2, your first cart purchase for the Vyger will mostly be incorrect. Problem is that unless you are very very experienced you have no way of finding out or have a lot of finances to buy many, you have no way of finding out what different carts sound like and which work in your system. If you remember Davey's poll, most bought their carts without listening to them.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Haha, nobody wants to admit their turntable sounds "warm" :)
I normally don't recommend stuff in a lower price bracket than op is looking towards, but a new SOTA Cosmos with a great arm and a top Shelter (Accord or Harmony - track near the max of its recommended range ~ 2.1g) or Koetsu cartridge (track ~ 1.95g) would definitely give you a beautiful warm organic sound, and probably save you a chunk of change on the table too. SOTA is about to release a new revision, series V, of the Cosmos this winter - with reportedly significant sonic improvements. I'd suggest the flagship SOTA Millenia, but it just looks so damn ugly compared to the 2nd-from-top Cosmos in a nice exotic wood chassis.

Generally though, get the best turntable you can afford, then choose a cart that will give you a warm/organic sound (this has a bigger influence than the TT), then choose an arm to properly match it. Also phonostage and its match with your cartridge has a LARGE effect on the resultant sound. The VAC Renaissance phono stage is very organic sounding, and a bit warm (a bit less so with the SE upgrade).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I just accept that we are audiophiles. It means two things, one is we will eventually be curious about trying another sound especially with a cart and arm, and 2, your first cart purchase for the Vyger will mostly be incorrect. Problem is that unless you are very very experienced you have no way of finding out or have a lot of finances to buy many, you have no way of finding out what different carts sound like and which work in your system. If you remember Davey's poll, most bought their carts without listening to them.

so you think two arms is required to do compares with different cartridges - i get it. thanks

i think many analog-heads want different arms for different carts or flavors, hence the disconnect.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
so you think two arms is required to do compares with different cartridges - i get it. thanks

i think many analog-heads want different arms for different carts or flavors, hence the disconnect.

That too. I think the Stradivarius is far ahead of all carts I have heard on violin, piano, small chamber, vocals (though many good on vocals), and I can also imagine for jazz. It wasn't doing full scale orchestra well enough. I have compared it in two systems now and also compared another colibri strad before. So would need another cart if I could afford two good carts. There can also be something like an easy listening cart, where you don't want to subject your main cart to wear and tear. Rock might need different carts from solo violin

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That too. I think the Stradivarius is far ahead of all carts I have heard on violin, piano, small chamber, vocals (though many good on vocals), and I can also imagine for jazz. It wasn't doing full scale orchestra well enough. I have compared it in two systems now and also compared another colibri strad before. So would need another cart if I could afford two good carts. There can also be something like an easy listening cart, where you don't want to subject your main cart to wear and tear. Rock might need different carts from solo violin

I think this might be an interesting thread topic. As I recall, you think digital is easy (just get a GG, roll tubes, and you're done) - but in analog you definitely prefer different carts for different music. I'm trying to think of a digital guy with multiple dacs, but can't think of one off hand (perhaps a SS and tube dac?).

My personal theory (and somewhat confirmed by my friends!) is that analog-nuts just like to dicker around. But I do find it interesting that MikeL and a few others don't do that anymore. I asked Christian a somewhat similar question recently on his AS thread.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
Well as an owner of a Kuzma M, I would not recommend it to someone looking for a warm sound. Incidentally however, I have heard Kuzma M and Kuzma XLDC side by side with the AMG Viella. I'd take the M over the Viella everyday.

I'd take a number of turntables over the AMG Viella V12.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
And they are??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing