Which is Better Sound From High Power: Single Tube SET or Parallel Tube SET?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
There are some people in the know on this thread. But real info is not coming from them. Maybe another thread on matching low power and mid power amps to a speaker could be a good thread. What horn works with what amp. What single driver speaker with what amp. What multi driver speaker to what amp. Leave the high power stuff to another thread.

Please, no more SET amp owners thread. Its too long now.
It would be nice if some threads could have sub topics. Much easier to hone in on what your looking for. Or where to stumble around for info.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It would be nice if some threads could have sub topics.

That’s called a sub forum. The sub topics are called threads.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There are some people in the know on this thread. But real info is not coming from them. Maybe another thread on matching low power and mid power amps to a speaker could be a good thread. What horn works with what amp. What single driver speaker with what amp. What multi driver speaker to what amp. Leave the high power stuff to another thread.

Please, no more SET amp owners thread. Its too long now.
It would be nice if some threads could have sub topics. Much easier to hone in on what your looking for. Or where to stumble around for info.
Well the upper power limit on this thread is around 150 watts (some 833 based amps and exotics from NAT). As long as the amp under discussion is a SET then power is not a criterion.
For your speakers a more robust SET like Aries Cerat Concero 65s or their new Triode/FET designs like Essentia (a single compound element design) would sound wonderful.

Reactions: Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
horns and SETs are not the dealers favourites for many reasons
very few really world class alternatives and they demand serious real estate to thrive
best horn/SET systems worldwide probably in DIY communities
Exact, go to france listen at la rosita his streamers with 4 way active horn system. It's a show sounds phantastic.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have never liked video, but you can tell that pile of multi cell horns sounds good. I like them when I hear them. One of the issues I see with a system like that is the crossover. The people I have met with them seem to fight the crossover for years. Maybe never winning. It becomes an addiction like people using DSP. There seems to be a skritch of something they just can't achieve. Those people tell me, at least the DSP ones, its a heck of a lot less costly to adjust DSP than to be on a merry go round of cables.
One of the better system I heard was this one. This was the 45 and the music was a lot of punk.

Attachments

• 20230316_143708.jpg
    20230316_143708.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If you look you can see its a mercury rectifier and all Monolith iron. Seems to be well made. The amp designer is in Portland OR. He came to the clients house with 4 SET type amps with different tubes. Not all worked well or sounded good in his system. I don't think this was an amp issue. He really liked the 45 and kept it. Being the other 3 did not perform as well makes me ask the question about a thread where people pair the amp to speaker.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Problem with audio is you think its all dialed and great, till you hear something that does just a little more in some area the owner is keen upon. Like me. I love the Dartzeel. Its a great amp. A SS person would be in heaven. But I'm a tube guy and really have no understanding why. But when a designer like Scott brings a Blade to my house, you hear it and get it.

FWIW I asked Pat H a few times to try his Whammerdyne. If he had let me demo one, I would probably own it. There is nothing like having the real deal in your home. I have little desire to sit in a demo room at a shop listening to a speaker/amp pairing I have never heard. Its pretty plainly clear in this and other threads that what you hear from an amp on one speaker is not what you would hear on another.

That Blade I love and bought. If you put it on Mikes Evolution MM7, I bet it would be too detailed and hot sounding. The Dartzeel 468 is a match made in a better place on that speaker. It gells and all works.

Last edited:

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hello pweg,

But doesn't "very detailed and fast, lean and with an exposed top end" describe the sound of those Marten speakers? Why are you attributing this sound to the 833 amplifiers?
Hi Ron. No. That’s the myth about marten speakers. They are super sensitive to amplification. When those valve amps went in the system became unlistenable. The best amp on those speakers was audia flight.
I’ve now got Coltrane momento 2 with chp 10 series and the sound is almost warm.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron. No. That’s the myth about marten speakers. They are super sensitive to amplification. When those valve amps went in the system became unlistenable. The best amp on those speakers was audia flight.
I’ve now got Coltrane momento 2 with chp 10 series and the sound is almost warm.

I'm happy if you like the Marten speakers. I have no dog in this hunt.

But to claim it's a "myth" is personal, subjective preference or rank partisanship, or both.

Here are Michael Fremer's comments on the original Coltrane ("boosted presence region"; a "bit bright and spotlight on top"; "slightly lean on bottom;" "overbearing"), and the revised model ("left little room for bright-sounding recordings, from which it could still produce sizzly results"; "neutral reproduction").

As a long time reader and devotee of Michael's reviews this means the first version was fatiguing, and the revised version was slightly less fatiguing.

IMG_7887.jpeg
IMG_7888.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg

But I love your amp and preamp! I think they are just the right medicine for the Marten loudspeakers!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing